1 2
Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/27/20 8:40 a.m.

I don't think we got much rain at all, couple showers yesterday during the day, but the ground wasn't even wet this morning, so i guess we escaped this one in central houston.  

The weather channel folks were in lake charles, and it looked like they got hammered hard overnight.  Laura made landfall there with around 150mph sustained winds.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/20 9:23 a.m.

Having gone through a lot of hurricanes I have become somewhat complacent but a 15 foot storm surge isn't something to blow off.  Hope those affected are staying safe.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/27/20 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Here's an eerie quote from the Vermilion County Sheriff ... 

"Please evacuate, and if you choose to stay and we can't get to you, write your name, address, social security number and next of kin and put it a Ziploc bag in your pocket. Praying that it does not come to this."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/us/louisiana-officials-hurricane-laura-warning-trnd/index.html

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
8/27/20 10:04 a.m.

We're currently under a tornado watch, and tropical storm warning in central Arkansas!

There's a skeleton crew at the office due to COVID, but the powers that be are closing up shop at noon.

We're 450 miles from the coast, wild!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/27/20 11:27 a.m.

Can someone explain the "un-survivorable storm surge" that seemed to be making it's way around the news (at least around here)?

Clearly sounds like some sort of wild overstatement (by an official weather outlet?).  What was the actual result?

(btw: I do know what a storm surge is)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/20 12:22 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

From what I saw on the news, a 3 foot storm surge can wash cars away, 6 feet can knock down houses.  This was a 15-20 foot storm surge at its peak.  I would think it would be a muddy field with detritus left over, but I haven't seen any footage of what it might look like yet.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/20 12:45 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to aircooled :

From what I saw on the news, a 3 foot storm surge can wash cars away, 6 feet can knock down houses.  This was a 15-20 foot storm surge at its peak.  I would think it would be a muddy field with detritus left over, but I haven't seen any footage of what it might look like yet.

And given the winds, it seemed that the coastal expectation of 20 ft was pretty reasonable- but I have heard that it ended up being 9.  

20 ft would be wll over the bottom of any building that was built on stilts- they look to be normally 8-10 ft off the ground.  It will be interesting to see the coastal town that got the direct hit- all of the permanent buildings were built off the ground.  

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/20 12:57 p.m.

Mexico Beach during Michael got 11' - 12' surge.  It wiped clean all the ground level homes and placed them in a pile 300 yards inland.  Almost all the houses on pilings above 12' were destroyed on sustained heavy damage.  Serious E36 M3.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/27/20 1:13 p.m.
aircooled said:

Can someone explain the "un-survivorable storm surge" that seemed to be making it's way around the news (at least around here)?

Clearly sounds like some sort of wild overstatement (by an official weather outlet?).  What was the actual result?

(btw: I do know what a storm surge is)

As I heard they were expecting a 20ft surge and 30 miles inland.

As I expect it works.. On a typical sand beach place a hypothetical flag at the regular shore (where the water is usually 1" deep.

At max surge, that flag will now be 20 ft under water and the new shore (where the water is 1") will be 30 miles inland. 

I also heard that they were expecting the storm to arrive at high tide. 

johndej
johndej Dork
8/27/20 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Yup, I've been down to Panama City four or five times in the past 2 years, it's amazing how much stuff was messed up and still being rebuilt.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8AdOHU4Q1GxZtHXBH3QKlgIeXplBRfpkePgXIucJBT1G14SFVmx7OkBHRT389kZh