1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/6/17 3:27 p.m.
slowride wrote: If you're pedaling hard (standing up and weight forward) and then you suddenly have no resistance, you lurch forward and lose balance. Or at least that was my experience.

Yeah, pretty much that.

David S. Wallens
4/6/17 3:58 p.m.

Another reason this sucks, other than the obvious pain and stuff: I had finally convinced myself to get the Miata out of the garage!

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/6/17 6:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
slowride wrote: If you're pedaling hard (standing up and weight forward) and then you suddenly have no resistance, you lurch forward and lose balance. Or at least that was my experience.
Yeah, pretty much that.

Then when your foot hits the ground the beartrap pedal rides up your calf peeling it like a apple. The other side does the same to your shin.

Recon1342
Recon1342 New Reader
4/6/17 6:38 p.m.

In reply to MulletTruck: yup...

David S. Wallens
4/7/17 3:39 p.m.
MulletTruck wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
Yeah, pretty much that.
Then when your foot hits the ground the beartrap pedal rides up your calf peeling it like a apple. The other side does the same to your shin.

Fortunately I ride with platform pedals--like DX copies. You know, I still haven't checked out the bike to see how it did. It's an S&M. I'm sure it did fine.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
4/7/17 5:33 p.m.

Broken chains or slipping chainrings totally blow. I've hit pavement at 30mph after a simple gear slip.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
4/7/17 5:47 p.m.

I broke the fall of a pipe!

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/8/17 9:30 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: I broke the fall of a pipe!

ouch

David S. Wallens
4/10/17 1:36 p.m.

Yeah, ouch.

Update: Yeah, I'm still alive. Got a nice gift from a friend at Subaru.

David S. Wallens
4/10/17 9:13 p.m.

I have another BrokenBoneBuddy™. And, no, that's not really a good thing.

Last week, I saw Mat Hoffman again at the big BMX reunion in St. Augustine. Hey, we both have broken left arms. He was doing something much radder when he crashed, by the way. Also, just a super-nice guy who's also into cars.

Soon after I broke my arm, I got a Facebook message from Mike at Agent Orange. He was checking in to see how I was doing. He also e-mailed me a photo Evel Knievel, the "patron saint of heavy slams."

This weekend I got another note from Mike: Guess what I did last night?? Broke my wrist!

Sounds like he hung up a backside grind. Also, no Agent Orange shows for a little while.

The gravity stuff sucks sometimes.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
4/11/17 6:10 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, ouch. Update: Yeah, I'm still alive. Got a nice gift from a friend at Subaru.

I have that book, got it at Salvation Army when I was 9 or so.

David S. Wallens
4/11/17 7:43 a.m.

Wow, cool. I never owned a copy but realized something while going through it last night: I devoured this book at the library while a kid.

David S. Wallens
4/27/17 11:26 a.m.

Update: My arm is still broken. Okay, technically, I guess it's way more healed, but I'm still in the sling. Hopefully just another week and a half. I can now two-hand type which helps tremendously. I don't see myself hanging any wallpaper soon, though.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/27/17 11:45 a.m.

Maybe you should think about retiring the BMX? And I don't mean putting new tires on the thing. Just a suggestion.

David S. Wallens
4/27/17 11:52 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Maybe you should think about retiring the BMX? And I don't mean putting new tires on the thing. Just a suggestion.

Here's the (sorta) funny thing: I wasn't even doing anything BMX-y at the time. No jumps, no skatepark. I will admit that this has caused me to pause getting back on a skateboard. On the other hand, I did just buy another deck that is just sitting there right now....

Toymanswife
Toymanswife Reader
4/28/17 10:24 p.m.

Always get a copy of the xrays or at least take a picture. Toyman told me my leg wasn't broken. The next day I made my best friend take me to the ER. Three days later i had surgery. A plate and 9 pins later... I broke my tibia and shattered my fibula. Maybe you can see it this way. Xrays are always good to have for future issues. Its much faster if you have them rather than waiting in offices to transfer them. https://m.facebook.com/GMommy/albums/520546425805/?ref=bookmarks

Toebra
Toebra Reader
4/28/17 11:29 p.m.

Digital imaging studies are put on a disc for the most part.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/17 7:51 a.m.

two years ago my mother fell in the rain while carrying groceries and shattered her upper arm just below the shoulder. At 68, they should have screwed and pinned it all together, but decided to let nature take it's course after setting it. Her arm was immobilized for the better part of 3 months and I had to move in with her to take care of her and the house.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/29/17 11:32 a.m.

Between racing, skateparks, trails, and street riding I had quite a few serious injuries involving a number of broken body parts over 20+ years of BMX. I've never had insurance so I've paid out of pocket. I remember breaking my hand one time trying to manual a big set of doubles in the first straight at full speed during practice at a local track then having a different cast made to conform to a handlebar with a grip on it so I could race a NBL national the following weekend. Won class and cruiser but I moved the bones inside the cast and they fused 15 degrees off and remain that way today.

Broke my spleen trying to do a nice look back over a step jump into a drop off during practice at an ABA Gold Cup qualifier just north of Phili. Overshot the backside and saw I was going to hit flat bottom so I ditched the bike and landed perfect, not a scratch on me. But the sudden stop was just too much and exploded the spleen. Hurt really really bad but like an idiot I raced anyway because it was the only qualifier I could get to before the championships. Won the cruiser main and didn't race 20" since I'd get a Gold Cup invite because of cruiser and could still race 20" at the championships. Wouldn't go to hospital right away because no insurance. When I finally went 2 days later the doc said I was lucky to have lived that long bleeding internally. Couldn't see anything left of spleen on ultrasound so they did exploratory and cleaned me out inside, stopped the bleeders, and sent me home with a big zipper and $20,000.00 bill.

When I was in my late 40's I took the pegs off my street bike after going over the bars 3 times one night and landing on asphalt/concrete while grinding concrete ledges. Decided I was getting old so no more grinding. Went down hard on my skateboard messing around doing flip tricks in my garage a couple months ago while home alone(58 now)and thought how stupid that was because, well, old... and since I still have no insurance. So I hung up the board.

A couple weeks after going down on the board I had a heart attack. Still no insurance so I expect to be paying for that as long as I live on the installment plan. At a follow up appointment with the cardiologist Thursday he said I still can't lift anything heavy or do strenuous work for a few more weeks. He suggested I ride a bike.............. Obviously he doesn't know me very well!!

Don't worry David, you'll heal. Not as fast as when you were young though and when the weather changes you'll know.

You've reminded me I need to call Mat. I want to know where Evel Knievel #1 and #2 went because I have #3.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/29/17 12:37 p.m.

Man, you guys should take up something safe, like car racing or E36 M3.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/29/17 4:46 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA:

Dude... geeeez...

I feel a bit out of place wearing all my protective gear at the skatepark. (I mostly skate quad rollerskates, but am learning to skateboard and inline, too.) Then I hear stories like this and am just think, "Nope. I'm good." I'll stick to padding and building up the tricks I do systematically. I started too late in life to ever get particularly impressive anyway.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/29/17 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Wear all the gear you have every time. Can't tell you how many people I've seen get hurt without any gear because they were just doing something easy. I threw out my inlines last year.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
5/1/17 6:22 a.m.

Only time I've broken a bone (knock on forehead) was my BMX bike at age 13. Full speed down a hill and didn't see the no parking sign in the very middle of the sidewalk, not to the side. One minute blitzing along, the next I see my bike getting smaller and smaller, wrapped around a pole. As I'm wondering WTF just happ...I hit the ground and rolled a few times.

Bent the frame pretty good, bent my wrist into a fracture. Ended up beating the frame with a pipe back to slightly straight, adjusted the back wheel to go a little more straight, and entered a juvenile diabetes bike-a-thon still wearing a cast.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/1/17 8:47 a.m.
NOT A TA wrote: In reply to Beer Baron: Wear all the gear you have every time. Can't tell you how many people I've seen get hurt without any gear because they were just doing something easy. I threw out my inlines last year.

I wear high quality helmet, knee pads, wrist guards, and elbow pads pretty much all the time.

I've got some extra stuff I use based on what I'm doing, like shin guards and some lightly padded shorts. Those are just to protect against shinners and minor hip bruises from falling on coping or rails. I even have a denim motorcycle vest with a built in back protector that I wear sometimes. Problem is it's just too warm for much of the year to wear it comfortably.

Even just practicing ollies, I wear at least helmet and wrist guards. I can see very easily landing not quite square on the board, having it shoot out so I fall uncontrolled and either hit my wrist wrong or bounce my head off the pavement.

Inlines too dangerous? It's definitely harder to control a fall on skates than on a board. Seems to me like BMX would be most hazardous. Yes, you can bail but not as easily as on a board, and you've got way more speed than other things.

David S. Wallens
5/2/17 9:20 p.m.

Yeah, safety gear is cheap. I always wear my helmet. It's the Bucky Lasek model, so I figure it's extra good. My head kissed the ground when I wrecked. Is the helmet still good? Probably. But for like $50 I can get a fresh one.

My friend recently wiped out doing something simple and knocked out some teeth. Reconstruction is going to take about two years. She now wears a full-face. I picked up one, too. For anything more radical than riding around the neighborhood, I'll be wearing it. I also bought some knee/shin guards. It's less expensive than an ambulance ride.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xCi0WYPQQBNHJcxp51HmCs7jae9YqKi9VYhHoFKrozs27XanWbbAnjwZbWO5lPfC