1 2 3 ... 5
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/20 4:40 p.m.

Meet Boaty McBoatface: 

It's a 1977 Galaxy with a 77 Johnson 85HP outboard. "Ran when parked" and "needs TLC" but it was $600. 

She's 16' and the van tows it well. Over the winter we will see what we can do to get her running and ready for the water. Open hole in water, insert $$$.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/20 4:41 p.m.

B.O.A.T. Bust out another twenty!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/15/20 4:47 p.m.

Most accurate thread title award

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/20 4:48 p.m.

Who could have turned that down for $600?  He pretty much had to buy it.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/20 4:50 p.m.

No such thing as a cheap boat laugh

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
11/15/20 4:56 p.m.

Assuming you can get it running, 85 HP on a 16 ft boat should be pretty sporty.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/15/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

I bought my Sea Ray new and over the 42 years I've owned it I've averaged about $500 a year in maintenance. Most of which I had done rather than do it myself.

So boats won't be too bad. Especially if you do the work yourself. That's a good simple boat and shouldn't cost too much to keep in reliable shape.  

The nice thing is it should fit in your garage. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/15/20 7:16 p.m.

600 bucks?  I'm not sure that qualifies as stupid.  Get it running, get it on the water in the Spring, and enjoy the heck out of it.

I assume that Johnson is similar to my 1983 V-4 90 HP 2-stroke.  These engines have been described as virtually indestructible.  I've done all repairs and maintenance on mine.  Got a repair manual off of ebay. 

Good luck!  Enjoy!

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/15/20 7:20 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I only ever heard that before as "thousand."

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
11/15/20 7:44 p.m.

I clicked on this hoping for an example of something moar stupider than I've done of late.  Okay, a 6 hunnert buck boat might be kindasorta dum, buuuuut

11/16/20 8:09 a.m.

The motor is super-clean and cranks easily. I could smell the bad gas from 10 feet away so I did not attempt a start. I'll go through it first, then start it on fresh gas.

I pulled the interior. All of the original seating is completely rotted, but it's all just vinyl and foam over plywood, so I will make new stuff. The main seats were replaced at some point, but even they are pretty nasty. Replacements are not too expensive. The wiring was a nightmare, so that is all gone. Next comes a vacuum and pressure wash.

The only question is the soft floor. I assumed there was plywood under the carpet, but it is all fiberglass. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

11/16/20 8:13 a.m.

Why so many wires? 6 PC speakers scattered about, all with quick-connect fittings. The entire sound system was wired with a butter knife I swear. Lights and a bilge pump and a horn were also added. the boat did not come with them as stock. Ha!

11/16/20 8:15 a.m.
11GTCS said:

Assuming you can get it running, 85 HP on a 16 ft boat should be pretty sporty.

It is rated for 110hp. I looked it up, a new 110hp Mercury runs about $10K LOL.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/20 8:22 a.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

Me too, but twenty is MUCH closer to the truth unless you're in Don Johnson's boat. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/16/20 8:29 a.m.

Nasty seats,

Rotten sheet,

You, your project boat, and your Johnson.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/16/20 9:51 a.m.

A soft fiberglass floor can be made firm very easily. Cut out a sheet of 1/2 plywood. Make sure it fits well he pull it  and put a thick layer of fiberglass resin on top of the old fiberglass With  a little (10% )  less hardener than normally would be required. Use a paint roller to spread it evenly. 
Now put the plywood on the wet resin. And put another layer of resin over the top of the plywood. Next  add a sheet or two of fiberglass cloth. ( use the same pattern as the plywood but add a couple of inches all the way around).  Use a squeegee  to spread the resin smoothly and seal the edge up along the boat hull. 

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
11/16/20 10:00 a.m.

Oh, I'm aware.  smiley I replaced a 1989 Mercury 90 HP with an Evinrude 90 HP back in 2012 for our 17' Whaler.   If you can get that one going for a carb cleaning and a set of plugs it's a total win.   Get yourself a good in line water separator / filter even if you're running on 6 gallon tanks.   Plugging up one of the three carbs and running lean on one cylinder is likely what took my old engine out.   

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/16/20 10:08 a.m.

French’s is absolutely correct on the method. As long as there are no structural problems under that soft deck! And the chances of having a soft deck, and no damage underneath it are somewhere between slim and none. And slim ain’t feelin’ too good. 

Looks like a great project, and well worth the sweat equity. 

11/17/20 9:45 a.m.
03Panther said:

French’s is absolutely correct on the method. As long as there are no structural problems under that soft deck! And the chances of having a soft deck, and no damage underneath it are somewhere between slim and none. And slim ain’t feelin’ too good. 

Looks like a great project, and well worth the sweat equity. 

I am assuming there is damage, so I am going to remove a section and take a look. I assume I will replace/repair some stringers and the original wood floor (sorry, deck) then re-fiberglass. Its only bad in the very middle, so it won't be front to back. I mean, stem to stern.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 9:51 a.m.

good to see more people suffering with my affliction.  My current Boat to Car ratio is 1:1 and not getting any better

Looks like a fun project. 

All I have to add is use epoxy resin instead of polyester. I used polyester on my last floor replacement and it only lasted about 8 years before it started going soft again. The epoxy I used in the jet boat is as hard as it was the day I built it. The extra cost is well worth it. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 11:23 a.m.

"Ran when parked" is more confidence inspiring than "ran just before it sank" .

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 12:09 p.m.

Have fun!  I'm a boat freak.  If you DIY stuff, it's cheap.  Dirt cheap.  I bought an $1100 Baja with grass growing out of the motor stringers.  The boat was worthless, but the trailer was easily worth the $1100.

Full gutting, new wood, new glass, new Vortec 350, and for less than $3500 I had a 65 mph bullet that I sold for much more than I had in it.

java230
java230 UberDork
11/17/20 12:36 p.m.

Engine manual should be on here http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/20 1:31 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

Maybe with big boats, but with that thing it won't need much.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xkV8w7QTv899EvTJIJdeN3sKCzvnALUfdpHzCzJa4bu6Yd4yOZCuG0MBk7iywP8Y