1 2 3
iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
9/24/20 5:19 p.m.

And they survived.

I prepared.   My garage and the tires were at 56F.    I immediately drove out of town, a short distance and on to the highway for 120 miles.

Temps had gotten warmer by the time I arrived. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/20 5:27 p.m.

I've driven R comps in the snow. It wasn't a good idea, but I survived :)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/24/20 5:39 p.m.

I once had to drive a 320i off the street and into my shop to take the Rivals off.  It was a twenty minute ordeal to go 30 meters, because I had to turn a corner and get up the slope of the curb.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/20 6:28 p.m.

I managed to drive on a very slushy road that also had a light dusting of snow on a set of R888s.

Apparently I survived and can still post about it .

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/24/20 6:29 p.m.

A good burnout would warm up the drive tires. That could either allow you to do sweet skids in a FWD car, or drive straight into a fence in a RWD car. laugh AWD cars can't do burnouts, that's just math.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
9/24/20 6:36 p.m.

I have always thought of summer tires as a waste of money. Some all season tires can out perform many summer tires and more so in the rain, like the Falken 512 and 912s back in the day to the Conti DWS and BFG Comp T/A A/S. My Contis had a 65k mile warranty rich was great on a RWD car. If I were to spend a ton of money on a tire that was going to wear out fast and only best in the dry I would just go for DOT race tire and really enjoy the limits of my car. 

Keith Tanner
9/24/20 6:45 p.m.

If you're driving summer tires that are being outperformed by all-seasons, you need better summer tires. A set of summers plus a set of winters means superior traction in all conditions.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
9/24/20 6:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If you're driving summer tires that are being outperformed by all-seasons, you need better summer tires. A set of summers plus a set of winters means superior traction in all conditions.

Not in the rain my friend, I have personally watched a few people go off the road because they couldn't keep up in the rain.

Keith Tanner
9/24/20 7:22 p.m.

Also in the rain. I have personally run a tarmac rally in a legitimate hurricane in a V8-powered Miata on summer tires. All seasons would not have been a step up.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/24/20 7:38 p.m.

Got stuck in a slushy/wet snow last year in the Miata on Dunlop Z3's.  I had to drive less than 2 miles to get it home, so I figured I'd just go for it.  Although (obviously), I didn't die, the back end stepped out every time I tried to use the gas, it did a complete loop around . . . twice, and I had to scrape and salt the driveway to get it up the drive and in the garage.  OTOH, I've driven in cold but dry weather several times with no issues.  Clearly, there's less grip, but nothing that can't be handled with a little extra caution.

My take: Cold - OK.  Cold & wet - not so much.  

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 7:41 p.m.

I recall about 20 years ago driving my Miata in snow on worn out R comps once. It has sat in the garage since the end of the season and my DD wouldn't start so I drove it to work. Definitely a fun but stupid thing to do, but yes both me and the car survived. 

I don't own winter tires. 

Honestly don't need them. 

devil

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/20 8:18 p.m.

I once autocrossed on Hoosier A3s when it was in the 40s. It was like driving on ice.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/20 8:51 p.m.

I used to drive my old 318ti on summer tyres all year.  I only ever got stuck in the snow with once.. it was 6 inches deep in my driveway when I pulled in and the combination of lowered on coilovers, M3 front spoiler, and summer tyres meant I was not going to plow it out of the way.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/24/20 9:02 p.m.

Used yokohama a048 for 2 Chicago winters in a mid engine car .... 

still alive and am doing fine 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/24/20 9:22 p.m.

Got my mustang stuck in my driveway on less than a centimeter of snow with V710's...

Tried autocrossing my fmod in cold weather on old hoosiers. It didn't go well... Brakes don't work well when your front wheels are off the ground because you wedged a cone under the front end when you understeered into a cone wall...

The general altimax artictics work tons better in snow than whatever 200tw du jour is on the car too. Especially with an open diff...

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
9/24/20 9:34 p.m.

I daily drove kumho Mx in Austin, after I got the I saw that they weren't recommended for temps below 45. The short of it is they still had better grip in the cold and wet than the garbage mxv4 all seasons that came on the car. On cold mornings they did feel a bit square until I got a few miles down the highway and they warmed up a bit, but nobody died. 

Keith Tanner
9/24/20 10:11 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Used yokohama a048 for 2 Chicago winters in a mid engine car .... 

still alive and am doing fine 

We may have a wiener. I mean winner. 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
9/24/20 10:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Also in the rain. I have personally run a tarmac rally in a legitimate hurricane in a V8-powered Miata on summer tires. All seasons would not have been a step up.

As you can see the wet lap times for the all season Goodyears, on the same car, in the same size, match the new "benchmark in extreme performance tires." I really hate fake news.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=255

"Education costs less than ignorance."

Keith Tanner
9/24/20 11:46 p.m.

So, by your example and your chosen metric, the best all-season is no worse in the wet than the best summer tire. No better, but no worse.

But by that same metric, it's worse in the dry. So the summer tire, by your chosen metric, is the better choice for performance in the dry and no worse in the wet. I'm not sure if that's fake news, education or ignorance, but it lines up with what I was saying.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/20 4:37 a.m.
svxsti said:
Keith Tanner said:

Not in the rain my friend, I have personally watched a few people go off the road because they couldn't keep up in the rain.

The summer tires I have now (Conti ECS) will have more grip in the rain than all-seasons do in the dry.  It's all in the tire choices.  And not driving on three year old tires.

One of my favorite things about my BFG Sport-Comps was that I could not get them to hydroplane.  Speed was limited by the windshield wipers, which stopped being effective over 90.  The grip with those tires was really good, too,  but the ECSs are better.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/20 5:55 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
svxsti said:
Keith Tanner said:

The summer tires I have now (Conti ECS) will have more grip in the rain than all-seasons do in the dry.  It's all in the tire choices.  And not driving on three year old tires.

One of my favorite things about my BFG Sport-Comps was that I could not get them to hydroplane.  Speed was limited by the windshield wipers, which stopped being effective over 90.  The grip with those tires was really good, too,  but the ECSs are better.

RainX is my chosen solution for visibility in the rain. Usually won't even need the wipers at that speed, and if it's raining hard enough to need them, it's likely only going to be necessary on an intermittent setting.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/25/20 6:28 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

RainX is awesome stuff...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/25/20 6:58 a.m.

I left my house at 6:30 in the morning for a track day in my Miata once. It was 25° outside.......I drove to Hallett just fine on R888s. I think the first session was still only in the upper 30s, took an extra lap to get them up to temp. This car also had no heater or top. It was a cold drive.

Wait no, I died and caused a rip in the time-space continuum and this is actually my ghost that's been posting here the last 7 years.

cyow5
cyow5 New Reader
9/25/20 7:10 a.m.
svxsti said:
Keith Tanner said:

I strongly suggest you try Conti ECS. Their rain grip is fantastic - I chased down a WRX in a downpour on track with them. I don't know what tires he had, but it was my first full track day in my Elise, so I think I am correct in giving most of the credit to the tires. Compared to the DWS (which I also have had on several cars, including my Elise), there's no comparison above freezing temperatures. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r569YPSTvW1kQG9Sy8iiwl4jCW0xFt3FYwrmnAUkilo1XzV9bGELRRPo8jIDpYe2