1 2 3
svxsti
svxsti Reader
9/25/20 3:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

So, by your example and your chosen metric, the best all-season is no worse in the wet than the best summer tire. No better, but no worse.

But by that same metric, it's worse in the dry. So the summer tire, by your chosen metric, is the better choice for performance in the dry and no worse in the wet. I'm not sure if that's fake news, education or ignorance, but it lines up with what I was saying.

If changing tires every 45,000 miles is no better then I think I walked into the wrong crowd. Considering if you shaved the all season tires to match the summers tread wear, then you could match them in the dry. Not many people can match a professional driver's lap time anyway. I would love to see how many people here could match a laptime on fastestlaps.com in a stock Miata on any given track. All these extreme performance tires do is make drivers look faster than they really are lol.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/20 3:16 p.m.

In reply to svxsti :

You do realize that Keith is the guy that literally wrote the book on miata, right?

I think this forum is based on people that have experience and facts and testing to back up their viewpoints.  Anecdotal evidence doesn't fly that well around here.

P.s. summer only tire compounds are a bit different than all seasons and the grip comes from the construction and the compound, not so much the tread pattern or depth.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/20 3:36 p.m.

Yeah, even shaved, an all season would chunk and self destruct after a handful of laps because the rubber compound can't handle the heat, and the tread blocks squirm so much they add heat regardless.

it's almost as if different tires are engineered for different goals!

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/25/20 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Truth.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
9/25/20 3:52 p.m.

I miss when GRM had staff that recommended Falken 512s or 912s for track days. Those were the days of the bang for the bang, grass roots. I also remember the original BFG Comp A/S in the 29s and recommended by GRM but they're discontinued. For the budget racers the Ohtsu 7000s are the reincarnation of the 912s.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/20 5:27 p.m.
slowbird said:

A good burnout would warm up the drive tires. That could either allow you to do sweet skids in a FWD car, or drive straight into a fence in a RWD car. laugh AWD cars can't do burnouts, that's just math.

Ummm

700 hp 4mattic with all the nanny's turned off is priceless. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/20 5:30 p.m.
dean1484 said:
slowbird said:

A good burnout would warm up the drive tires. That could either allow you to do sweet skids in a FWD car, or drive straight into a fence in a RWD car. laugh AWD cars can't do burnouts, that's just math.

Ummm

700 hp 4mattic with all the nanny's turned off is priceless. 

Hell, teh R when it had all seasons would be able to spin all four from a stop if it was cold outside, and that was with only 300hp and ft-lb.  Volvo are kind enough to retain e-diff action when everything else is shut off smiley

svxsti
svxsti Reader
9/25/20 6:27 p.m.
slowbird said:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IbzzxoL03iDUCMfXIfHoLTEADtF2M1L2m6vVf1VdAbSEISCFxdw65RLNXajESQiE