pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/19 12:26 p.m.

I recently purchased a 3/8" drive cordless ratchet. I am excited to use it, but it presents a problem for me. I have always used 1/2" drive sockets and they take a prominent place in my toolbox. I have a lot of 3/8" drive sockets, but they are in a bottom drawer somewhere. Do I co-mingle them? Do I get a separate toolbox for 3/8" stuff? What do I do with my growing collection of 1/4" stuff?  How do my Gear Wrench sockets fit into all of this?!?!  

How to people with lots of sockets deal with the different drive sizes? 

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/19 12:28 p.m.

Hansen socket trays

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/21/19 12:29 p.m.

Different chrome racks for each size, impact stuff in a separate drawer with the impact wrench.  Basically all the chrome together, all the black together.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
8/21/19 12:43 p.m.

What in the heck are you working on that you can use 1/2" all the time? surprise

I stick with 1/4" to 14mm/9/16" and then 3/8" up to 22mm/1"

Maybe it is just because all my nice ratchets are in the smaller sizes? Or are they the nice ones because I don't use 1/2" enough to justify the purchase?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/19 12:51 p.m.

Different drawers for each drive size ratchets and different drawers for each drive sockets, except 1/4” all fits in same drawer.  Confession though i have over 20 3/8 drive ratchets 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/21/19 4:27 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

What in the heck are you working on that you can use 1/2" all the time? surprise

I hardly ever use 1/2" drive except for the impact, generally use 3/8" drive 99% of the time.  I was shocked the first time I spun wrenches with guys who used to be pros, they all used 1/4" until they had to grab a 3/8" either for socket size or applying dem torques.

There is some differences between Snap-On 1/4" long handle ratchets and Harbor Freight ratchets and sockets I am guessing.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/21/19 4:50 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
8/21/19 7:15 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Clearance and fitment issues aside when you are swinging ratchets 8 hours a day the lighter weight of the smaller tool is really welcome.

You really want an eye opener? Try a 3/8" ratchet head in a 1/4" body. 

it's a game changer! 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/21/19 7:20 p.m.

Old Spice? Teletubbies? Pancakes? 

You have my divided attention. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/22/19 7:46 a.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Clearance and fitment issues aside when you are swinging ratchets 8 hours a day the lighter weight of the smaller tool is really welcome.

You really want an eye opener? Try a 3/8" ratchet head in a 1/4" body. 

it's a game changer! 

I have the MAC tools version of that.  Don't use it every day, but when you do its the only tool for the job.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 8:04 a.m.

Everything is on socket organizers right now, I like them better than trays because I am often laying under the car and they get knocked around a fair bit. They go in drawers in the toolbox, but I am running out of drawers. Sounds like I need a bigger toolbox.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/22/19 8:05 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Sounds like I need a bigger toolbox.

You make that sound like a problem. It's an opportunity.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
8/22/19 9:31 p.m.

Blasphemy I say, never have to many tools.devil Just not enough storage. Lot of good ideas mentioned. Personally I have two 3-drawer boxes that set side by side on the work bench. One for metric and one for SAE and use socket holders for sockets and a drawer for wrenches. I also have a roller box stack that new stuff is going in as all my old tools are really old and getting worn out and most were very cheap when I got them. Actually surprised they lasted the 30+ years I've had some of them. Needed tools and couldn't afford nice so bought cheap and have been replacing with better as they wear out. Dad taught me to take care of tools and I tried to. Inherited his 60+ year old Craftsman set and box that he used as an aircraft mechanic. Use a different drawer for each size socket set.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
8/23/19 8:24 a.m.

I've brought it up before, but maybe it's time to start organizing some toolboxes by task?

Take one batch of metric and one batch of SAE out, put them in a smaller toolbox, and fill in with what you need for a trip to the junkyard. 

Maybe put together a toolbox for working on brakes, with your brake specific tools, plus the weird allen or torx sockets you had to get for that one caliper bolt, plus enough regular sockets and such to generally do the work.  

I have a box for working on automotive ac systems. It's big enough to hold my gauge sets, spare hoses, vacuum pump, some cans of freon, and assorted wrenches and such. 

I have another for car stereo and trailer wiring type electrical work, one for oil changes, one for gunsmithing, one for ham radio gear, etc...  Basically if I have a couple of specialized tools for a certain task I created a box around them for the task.  The big boxes are used for general work and really big projests, and they aren't cluttered up with unitaskers.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/23/19 9:27 a.m.

You can never have enough tools.  You may run of of space for them but that's what those extra kitchen drawers are for.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZRwar0NaOlnhyaxvHmWiDwPu2bkd1oLOBuOTIaSzPeaCS2wcNZznc6t6x6gnZq0L