1 2
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/27/22 10:31 a.m.

This topic surprised me. There's a young guy at work that drives either g35 or g37. He works in another department so I've never had a chance to compliment/ ask him about the car. Every time I hear it pull out at the end of the day I'm impressed. Not too loud. Just a nice sound. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/22 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

That is kinda how I feel about turbodiesels that sound like they are building 25 pounds of boost just walking away from a traffic light.  Are your brakes binding or something?

I like rowdy idles (ya think?) but I don't like the free flowing exhausts that engines like that require to not choke on their own effluent and make less power than a Yugo running on three cylinders.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/27/22 12:17 p.m.

I -really- like the stock exhaust and sound on MrsSkinny's Infiniti M35x.

I'd bet a pair of Borlas would sound nice on it too.  But ANY muffler is better than NO muffler.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/27/22 12:55 p.m.

They can sound really good, I have done many exhausts on them when left to me to engineer the exhaust properly.

However todays current typical (3rd-10th) owner has no taste or self respect.  They just want volume not sound quality.

Granted, when I did alot of these exhausts on VQ cars they were newer and primary 1st and 2nd owner cars.

Here is an old clip (from the old shop I used to work at before opening my shop) of a typical set up Id sell to most VQ customers, nice and mellow, with a lovely smooth sound.  Probably did 30-40 exhausts just like this.  Then there was some different ones, unfortunatly I do not have sound clips of.

https://youtu.be/eyCCHLBaqKI

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/22 2:36 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Nothing loud sounds good.  It's just not pleasant.

OTOH my ideal is something like the M5 chase scene from Ronin, where all you hear is some mechanical whirring and intake honk.

We can't always be right. wink

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/27/22 4:35 p.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

To me that sounds great!  And probably right most are doing it on the cheap now for noise.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/27/22 4:55 p.m.
cdowd (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to malibuguy :

To me that sounds great!  And probably right most are doing it on the cheap now for noise.

One of my favorites tho was a 350z...he just said aggressive but exotic tone.

Did a Flowmaster 10 in the middle then split after the diff into small fiberglass packed mufflers immediately into the tips.

It had exactly that aggressive and exotic sound yet still was mild on the highway.   It sounded high strung Italian 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/22 11:17 a.m.

I think the vq is one of the absolute best sounding stock cars ever made. As soon as your change anything at all it's one of the most obnoxious. It's really, really rare that you hear a stock one though. I'm swapping one into an old toyota and I'm just praying I can muffle it down not to sound like ass.

It's actually crazy how much work nissan did on that engine to keep it quiet. Even the headers are mufflers. It's a dual walled design with metal mesh liner like a muffler/resonator.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/28/22 11:37 a.m.

My mom's Q60 coupe has the 3.7 VQ. It sounds decent for a stock car. 

These things with straight-piped exhaust sound like Chewbacca in an aluminum porta-john at a Life Day festival after eating 17 Bantha meat tacos. In other words, not good. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
11/28/22 11:37 a.m.

Straight piped VQs sound bad, and most aftermarket setups sound goofy. There was a dude with a modded 350Z in college. His exhaust wasn't straight piped, but it was an aftermarket single exit setup. The thing sounded like a trombone every time he drove down the street lol

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BkW93QazU2KCrvTGwTB9DPGBOjJqS9eq2d8Vcp7plXHcSDRQH3Q5ih7pg4la1ynM