Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/16 3:00 p.m.

And, it looks to be a water-activated fiberglass tape kit, with some products surviving temps up to 850F.

Has anybody ever used this stuff? I think for body work a traditional fiberglass patch kit is probably better, but for ease of use, this might be pretty good.

GRM needs to get some demo product and put box flares on something.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/16 3:21 p.m.

Looks interesting from their Rated-M-for-Manly YouTube ad:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/haPvuhznuyI

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/7/16 3:34 p.m.

That was entertaining

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/7/16 3:44 p.m.

Not familiar with it. Assume it's related to this product?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/16 3:50 p.m.

Doesn't seem to have any bonding capability, it wraps around things and tightens on them and itself. So you couldn't patch a hole in a car's roof with this, or build fender flares.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/7/16 4:01 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Doesn't seem to have any bonding capability, it wraps around things and tightens on them and itself. So you couldn't patch a hole in a car's roof with this, or build fender flares.

No, but you could "Tape" fender flares to a car or "tape" a patch in the roof. No need for welding or drilling.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
10/7/16 5:07 p.m.
mtn wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Doesn't seem to have any bonding capability, it wraps around things and tightens on them and itself. So you couldn't patch a hole in a car's roof with this, or build fender flares.
No, but you could "Tape" fender flares to a car or "tape" a patch in the roof. No need for welding or drilling.

Not really.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/7/16 5:26 p.m.

I used some of the stuff on a septic pipe that I'm going to replace in a few years anyway - a 4" Wye fitting cracked right at the base of the female flange and slowly dripped. I wrapped it up with Fiber Fix and it worked perfectly. I was pretty impressed.

You have to wrap it on itself a number of times to seal something. As far as using for body panel patches, the stuff is like epoxy impregnated gauze. You'd have to apply many layers to get it non-permeable, that or use lots of filler. It could be pretty handy in some bubba/boge style automotive fixes, but not really body repair worthy unless you specifically want it to look like hell.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fcmo7OlExe6gckKhlOpGmNQlyJUixVX8dI3CMDBDOqNiG3MatFsC5FVApxHbvcTN