1 2 3 4
JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
2/23/13 10:31 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I built the second story on my house. Pretty proud of that. Probably more proud of the stairs.

build thread? Pics?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/23/13 10:57 a.m.

I'll see what I can dig up. It really wasn't very hard. Tear off roof. Lay floor. Build box. Put roof back on. I literally numbered the roof beams, laid them aside, and reassembled the roof with new sheeting. It helps that I live in an area where there are no building permits. It was all to what code would be if it was enforced, but I didn't have to deal with anyone looking over my shoulder.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/13 11:14 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: A pneumatic beer can crusher 2 X 8 double-acting industrial cylinder w/ a 4-way push button valve. Crushes 12 or 16 oz. aluminum cans to 1" or less compressed height. Over 300 lbs crushing force @ 100 PSI. 34 cans crushed/ minute manually loaded is my current record, planning on automating the loading magazine style... in my spare time.

Really!!? Here I thought I was the only person in the world to build one of those.

Mine had three cylinders on it. One to load the can, one to crush the can and one to eject the can. All controlled by light sensors and micro switches. It even had a safety mat. Step up, place the can on the load tray. As soon as you stepped off the safety mat it would go into action.

Here are a couple of pictures. No video because I've robbed some parts off of it for other projects.

Kind of interesting how alike some of us are. If there was ever a GRM town, the world would be changed forever.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/23/13 12:14 p.m.
Kind of interesting how alike some of us are. If there was ever a GRM town, the world would be changed forever.

I'll make the drinks! It's about all I'm good for!

I did pick up a paintbrush for the first time in 15 years this week though. Painting a portrait of Kurt Vonnegut. I'll post pics when I'm done.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
2/23/13 12:40 p.m.

I built a couple of these:

photo ScottCanoe-1.jpg

Ok, I'm referring to the canoe/pirogue, but I do have two sons that I take some credit for as well.

Easy build. Google "six hour canoe".

#1 kid in this pic and I took them down a section of the Brazos with his Scout troop.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
2/23/13 1:00 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: I built a couple of these:  photo ScottCanoe-1.jpg Ok, I'm referring to the canoe/pirogue, but I do have two sons that I take some credit for as well. Easy build. Google "six hour canoe". #1 kid in this pic and I took them down a section of the Brazos with his Scout troop.

Ever build a minimax for your fast construction, high speed plywood boating needs? I've thought of it, but never had an appropriate outboard fall in my lap.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/23/13 1:29 p.m.

I took an old Mercedes Benz instrument panel and made a picture frame out of it. the clock even works!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/23/13 2:25 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I took an old Mercedes Benz instrument panel and made a picture frame out of it. the clock even works!

Badass, dude!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/23/13 2:38 p.m.

Thanks man! It's on my desk at work, love it. My only regret is that it doesn't LOOK like a car part now. Joey48442 gave me a miata cluster, I want to do the same with that.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/23/13 2:42 p.m.

It would have also been cool to reinstall the gauges an put back in the car looking that way.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/24/13 12:40 a.m.

Gettin' back w/ a pic..

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/26/13 7:51 p.m.

Got a bunch of steel tubing and some hammer finish paint, made this:

Put it here: Then finished it up.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/26/13 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

You know, that TV would have been a lot easier to move than the monstrosity you had down here.

Cool mount.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/26/13 8:22 p.m.

I sold that big beast, kinda hated to. It had a great picture etc but couldn't be wall mounted.

When are you gonna finish that damn jet turbine thingy and post vid of it exploding?

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/28/13 10:50 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Gettin' back w/ a pic..

Found an old video on the dark side of my computer:

http://s1290.beta.photobucket.com/user/Fasted58/media/edscancrusher1_zps595d921e.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/28/13 11:16 a.m.

I was contemplating a mechanized can crusher but it would have been two rollers that grab the can and smash it radially. With a little tube to get the can in position and to keep your fingers away from the can crusher's rollers. The can hits a switch in the tube, and the whole thing runs for a period of time and turns off. Crushed can falls out the bottom.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/28/13 11:26 a.m.

If i leave the land of bottle deposits, then I would want a crusher.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
2/28/13 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

now get some BBQ paint and take care of that fireplace insert:

mine before:

After:

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
2/28/13 12:36 p.m.

^^^^nice easy theme. I like it.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/28/13 1:34 p.m.

Build silly things you say? People around here do that sort of stuff?

My motorized hammock...

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/28/13 4:03 p.m.

Probably doesn't count because it's work stuff, but shadowbox for retired drill sergeant. The acrylic box is removable...I guess so can pull it out when they have crazy drunk parties...or he wants to scare the E36 M3 out of his kids. Whatever. Crappy cell pix:

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/1/13 2:17 a.m.

That's nice. How'd you bend and bond the acrylic?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/1/13 7:31 a.m.

It's cut, glued, and polished. The bent ones look like ass. I farmed the acrylic part out to a place called "precision plastics" in Atlanta. I can do them, but not as nice as these guys.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
5/20/13 2:08 a.m.

My first piece of furniture from scratch using some kind of Mercedes seats my dad dragged home cus they were free. I'm no woodworker by any stretch, don't laugh too hard.

If only I could figure out the wiring so I can move the headrests and armrest. That'd be cool.

RossD
RossD UberDork
5/20/13 7:27 a.m.

The headrest and armrest are electric? You should be able to find a schematic of them.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vYkfhqIndQnxwfiINTf70t3klPW5hj8x4gDD8Ez77su6p1jNJm1WrY30AJMgYwtU