stroker
stroker UltraDork
5/22/18 9:24 p.m.

I have a need for a one-time use of a Macro lens digital camera.   There's no local shop from which I can rent one.  I do not want to purchase a camera for a one-time use if possible.   I need to focus at a range of about eight inches.   Does anyone have a suggestion?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/18 9:44 p.m.

The iPhone works pretty well, use the triple-click ont he home button thing.  

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 New Reader
5/22/18 10:21 p.m.
pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/22/18 11:16 p.m.

What equipment do you currently have access to?  I've got one of those Vivitar-branded macro focusing lens kits as mentioned above and they're not too bad.  Here's something I took from under that 8" you mentioned using one of these and a 50mm lens on a crop digital camera;

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/18 12:49 a.m.

How much were you looking to rent one for? Troll the local Craigslist. You can find generation or two older equipment for change.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
5/23/18 7:30 a.m.

I basically do not have a camera right now.   I have a Canon A630 (640?) but it has a bad light sensor and the images are junk.   It doesn't have a threaded lens assembly.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/18 9:44 a.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/18 9:55 a.m.

You can take surprisingly good macro photos with a cell phone, with some effort:

How it was taken:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/he-isnt-the-hero-this-patio-needs/50633/page1/

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/23/18 10:11 a.m.

How good does it need to be? You can get clip on macro lenses for cell phones that work surprisingly well. Not pro publication grade but still surprisingly good. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/23/18 10:44 a.m.

The Canon A630 does have a macro feature, does it not work on yours?  I don't have experience with that specific model, but have had a couple Canon Elph point and shoots and the macro has worked quite well on them.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/23/18 1:06 p.m.

What about just hiring a photographer and letting them figure out the equipment side of things?

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
5/23/18 1:18 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/18 1:48 p.m.

In reply to the_machina :

If that does macro, that's your answer.

8valve
8valve Reader
5/23/18 1:49 p.m.

If its non professional use you can hand hold or jury rig one of the cheap  screw on macro adapters to an inexpensive or older camera.  Have done it many times with a $10 dealio.  Or do the same thing with a cell phone, some of newer more expensive phones have good cameras. 

Does your camera have a manual mode?  The broken sensor may not matter if you can get it into a manual mode.  What are you doing exactly? 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
5/25/18 9:20 p.m.

problem solved.  Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0T67fSo0YH6Uh05G94Hd6bD4PDqqPrHcTaosbnQzJNDd8X4zWpJnqjs413h7yyYp