TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
12/19/18 10:58 a.m.

Howdy folks,
My work 2008 E150 has been diagnosed by the dealer (and myself beforehand) as having a bad instrument cluster. In particular, it has an airbag indicator circuit fault. The dealer just quoted us ~$1200 to replace it. What I am wondering is if I can program the new cluster myself. I have Forscan and could easily convince the boss man to buy additional equipment, if necessary. I would be buying a new cluster, not using a used one.

Thanks.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/19/18 2:20 p.m.

From my reading, I believe you can. I’ve never done it myself. Why not try viewing the data you would need to edit with the current instrument cluster and see if it gives you the option. That way you don’t get the new cluster then find it doesn’t even let you access that info. 

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
12/19/18 2:44 p.m.

I just pulled the trigger on a Dorman reman part from Rock Auto. It allows you to input your VIN and mileage during the checkout process and it ships pre-programmed. $207.79 + $300 core. The best parts is more fridge magnets.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/19/18 7:09 p.m.

Wow that sounds like a great deal!

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
12/20/18 7:46 a.m.

$757.98 was the dealer price for the part. They wanted $412.26 in labor (3.5 hours) on top of that to install a pre-programmed cluster. There is a reason we don't use them for anything except things our indy shop shies away from, like intermittent instrument cluster diagnois. Free diagnosis from the dealer, so that was nice.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
12/20/18 9:55 a.m.

Well crap. Apparently I had selected an F150 instead of an E150 and they don't have the cluster I need. I'm glad they called me to let me know that Dorman didn't have a core in stock.  So, now I have a new cluster on order form Tasca for $419.57 for a preprogrammed cluster. I like Tasca.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
12/20/18 10:41 a.m.

In reply to TenToeTurbo :

I’d be shocked if they don’t cancel your order. When we order clusters at the dealership, they come with the mileage programmed in them, but need to be configured to the vehicle. There’s also a core charge that’s more than the cluster costs. That’s one of the parts we won’t sell online.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
12/20/18 10:54 a.m.

I called Tasca to place the order. They asked for VIN and mileage. Finger crossed it all works out. Core charge is $300, which is not a big deal as it's not my money.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
12/20/18 11:05 a.m.

In reply to TenToeTurbo :

Hopefully you’re good to go then.

A Ford cluster will still need to be programmed with as built data when you get it though.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
12/20/18 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I have Forscan and an HS/MS OBD2 adapter. How hard can it be? cool

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
1/15/19 9:45 a.m.

So, I wasn't able to pair the new IC with FORScan, but happily had the dealer in the next town over (Dovi Ford of Cortland, big up) install it for $133. So, the grand total with a reman cluster from Tasca and install at the dealer was about $550. Maguire Ford (Lincoln, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Fiat, Volvo, Audi, VW, Genesis, they've bought everything here) is akin to Hennessey Honda of Woodstock in my book.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tPAR7Vp1frHvwx9SHGsrFBhNahyeO77Mn2XGXeNO8lMpqHjZNcelTYtkkhHY9zoT