1 2 3 4
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/13 11:21 a.m.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi is superb.

stroker
stroker Dork
8/16/13 12:35 p.m.

Haven't read much fiction lately as I've been focusing on WWII history. My recommendation is anything by James Hornfisher.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/16/13 12:55 p.m.

After I finish the LOTR series (2/3 through the 2nd) I'm going to pick up Confederacy of Dunces. I've never heard anyone who has read it have a bad thing to say about it.

My top 10 favorite books:
1: Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (Western, over 800 pages, Pulitzer Prize winner)
2: Harry Potter series (counting as 1 book, so shoot me)
3: Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (Gettysburg, Pulitzer Prize winner)
4: To Kill a Mockingbird
5: Keeper of the Moon by Tim McLaurin
6: Grapes of Wrath
7: Driving Like Crazy by PJ O'Rourke (collection of his old articles)
8: LOTR series
9: Catch 22
10: Anything Gary Paulsen. Childrens author, but still good. Start with The Car.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
8/16/13 1:05 p.m.

I second stroker's recommendation. Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, written by Hornfisher, is excellent. Company Commander, by Charles MacDonald is a good account of European infantry fighting. The Wrong Stuff : The Adventures and Misadventures of an 8th Air Force Aviator, by Truman Smith is another good book.

mapper
mapper Reader
8/16/13 1:07 p.m.

I recently read "The Martian" by Andy Weir on my Kindle but it looks like it's only available as an audio book on Amazon now. There appears to be a hardcover version coming out in 2014. It's about a stranded astronaut struggling to survive on Mars For the most part it's more science than fiction except for a few parts. Not a classic but definitely something to keep in mind.

Edit: Info from Goodreads

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/16/13 1:10 p.m.

Oh, also: The Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
8/16/13 1:41 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: I second stroker's recommendation. Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, written by Hornfisher, is excellent.

Read that one about a year ago, and I'd also say it's a great read if you want nonfiction.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/13 2:21 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Hey now if anyone is going to suggest Atlas Shrugged I'm going to suggest Jennifer Government. The writing style is vastly easier on the attention span and the story is a good contrast...much like Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and Island.

Anything by Max, or Maxx, Barry is great. I read Syrup first and broke some ribs laughing at it.

Duke wrote:
JoeyM wrote: I also hated the film "Starship Troopers" - never read the book)
The book and the film of *Starship Troopers* have never met.

This is very true. The book Heinlein wrote is vastly different than the movie.

This brings to mind the Anti-Heinlein. Joe Haldeman's "Forever War". As good a sci-fi war novel as was ever written. Keep in mind that Heinlein was a WW2 vet while Haldeman was a Vietnam vet. Their two viewpoints are very valid and very different.

Which brings us to:

Javelin wrote: Old Man's War by John Scalzi is superb.

Scalzi has to be one of the best mil spec sci-fi writers alive today. I'd also recommend Armor by John Steakley.

Here are some other picks of mine:

~ Sex Lives Of Cannibals - This is a really funny book about a slacker who follows his wife to the South Pacific. Funny as hell but only because he's such a hopeless dope at doing just about anything. It's written like a Mark Twain travelogue with lots of humor and some insightful commentary thrown in.

~ Boomsday - Written by the guy who wrote "Thank You For Smoking". Another funny novel with a political bend. Which is no surprise considering this is William F. Buckley's son who wrote it. Definitely not what you'd expect and definitely not right wing...or not entirely right wing.

~ A Short History Of Nearly Everything - This book looks much more serious than it really is. Bryson describes one guy as "in every picture it looks as if magnets are placed out of the frame and are pulling very strongly on his hair." This one is really funny but ALSO will learn you a few things while you're reading it. He does a great job of making science interesting and funny all at the same time.

~ Albert Brook's (The comedian) book - 2030. I thought it was an amazing book. A bit prophetic I'd say.

~ Captain Freedom. This superhero rises to power, then falls, is then betrayed by his side kick, and goes all LA angsty and therapy conflicted. It's freakin hilarious.

~ Lies My Teacher Taught Me. It deconstructs all the myths, and misinformation, that history books propagate about U.S. history. Stuff like the American Indians could've repelled the colonists except for the fact that only 10% or less of them were left alive post Columbus and the diseases those dirty Spaniards brought over.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/16/13 2:27 p.m.
mtn wrote: Oh, also: The Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian

Cut straight to the originals and read C S Forester's Hornblower series.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/16/13 2:33 p.m.
Duke wrote:
mtn wrote: Oh, also: The Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian
Cut straight to the originals and read C S Forester's *Hornblower* series.

Read a few of the Hornblower books--also good, but Master and Commander is not a second hand Forester series. The series is a masterpiece that is as good or better than Hornblower, albeit harder to read.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/16/13 2:33 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: This brings to mind the Anti-Heinlein. Joe Haldeman's "Forever War". As good a sci-fi war novel as was ever written. Keep in mind that Heinlein was a WW2 vet while Haldeman was a Vietnam vet. Their two viewpoints are very valid and very different.

Yeah, that one sticks in mind, too. I've actually read them as a pair, several times, just to look at the contrasts. I'd recommend trying that.

Xceler8x wrote: ~ A Short History Of Nearly Everything - This book looks much more serious than it really is. Bryson describes one guy as "in every picture it looks as if magnets are placed out of the frame and are pulling very strongly on his hair." This one is really funny but ALSO will learn you a few things while you're reading it. He does a great job of making science interesting and funny all at the same time.

Actually, read anything written by Bill Bryson. He's very very funny and very very informative at the same time. Heck, his book on grammar is interesting.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
8/16/13 7:35 p.m.

Would I be branded a canoe salesman if I offered a free electronic copy of my first novel to anyone on the forum who wanted one?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/16/13 7:53 p.m.

Not in the slightest. I'd like one!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/16/13 8:39 p.m.

Big Vonnegut fan here. REALLY big. I won't say "Read everything he ever put down." Some were non-starters for me.

But "Cat's Cradle" is my favorite book. Sirens of Titan, Breakfast of Champions, and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater are my other faves. Strangely, though it was his "swan song," I'm not a big fan of Slaughterhouse Five.

Also: Catcher in the Rye. And "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole, published posthumously.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/16/13 8:42 p.m.

Yeah, I've read half a dozen or so of Vonnegut, breally big fan. I feel like I need to go back and reread them since it's been since college. 8+ years ago.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/16/13 8:52 p.m.

My broke ass drove from Gville FL to Athens GA to watch him speak. Worth every penny (and I worked my berkeleying ass off for those pennies.) I'd pay big money to relive that experience...somewhat more sober and taking notes. That was one hilarious, angry, sweet dude.

Had I berkeleyed the chick I stayed with that night, it'd be a contender for "best night of my life." Prude.

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
8/16/13 8:54 p.m.

Two books I've read in the past few years that are really good: Mickey Thompson The Fast Life and Tragic Death of a Racing Legend - Erik Arneson Go Like Hell - A.J. Baime The story behind Ford vs. Ferarri at Le Mans

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/16/13 9:20 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Big Vonnegut fan here. REALLY big. I won't say "Read everything he ever put down." Some were non-starters for me. But "Cat's Cradle" is my favorite book. Sirens of Titan, Breakfast of Champions, and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater are my other faves. Strangely, though it was his "swan song," I'm not a big fan of Slaughterhouse Five. Also: Catcher in the Rye. And "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole, published posthumously.

I'll have to look into Vonnegut. Never read anything of his, but feel like I would like his stuff.

Hated Catcher and the Rye, but that might have been because I hated the class that I read it in.

Confederacy of Dunces, like I mentioned above, is next on my list after I finish LOTR. I just spent a week with my uncle who talks about it all the time as one of his favorite books, and my brother was reading it at the same time and laughing out loud about every five minutes. The fact that Erik is reading at all must mean it is good, I'd be surprised if he has read one book for my every fifty.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/13 7:05 a.m.

Glad to see Joe Haldeman mentioned. 'The Forever War' is a fascinating series. Vonnegut is excellent as well.

I know Stephen King is considered too mainstream by many, but he's actually a very astute observer of the human condition and his characterizations are excellent. 'The Stand' is probably my favorite. For a while there he sort of lost his way, 'Rose Madder' and 'Bag of Bones' are just not very good, at least IMHO.

The 'Odd Thomas' books are GREAT. Odd is probably one of the best characters ever dreamed up.

'To Kill A Mockingbird' is one of the greatest books of all time and unlike a lot of film adaptations, the Gregory Peck movie is absolutely fantastic. The Curmudgeonling was skeptical of an old black and white movie at first, then sat riveted through the whole thing and that's saying something.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/17/13 10:29 a.m.
mtn wrote: Hated Catcher and the Rye, but that might have been because I hated the class that I read it in.

Nope. Catcher In The Rye both sucks and blows. Most overrated book of the 20th century, except maybe Ulysses. 200 pages of Bob Costas whining, with no redeeming value. I was a teenager once. I got over it, unlike J D Salinger. I also have no desire to relive it, unlike J D Salinger. Remember how you felt during your most obnoxious days when you were about 15? Recreated in loving detail and at great length. No thanks.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
8/17/13 8:02 p.m.

I too love Stephen king books curmudgeon, but I didn't want people to look down on me lol. His newer ones have been great, i especially liked 11/12/63 , it was kind of time travel/ love story and cell and his short story books are always good

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/13 8:28 p.m.

Yeah, to me King FINALLY started getting back to his roots with 'Cell'. People look down on me for many reasons already, I didn't figure being a King fan would make it any worse.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/18/13 11:08 a.m.

The guy who turned me on to Vonnegut also recommended The Starmaker by Olaf Stapledon. That book blew my mind.

Also a closet Stephen King fan. The Stand, It, and the first for books in The Dark Tower series are fine reading.

20,000 Leagues and The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne are great.

1984 is a must.

The Harry potter series , Game of Thrones Series,

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/18/13 11:29 a.m.

Totally a fan of Stephen King, though I refuse to pay for any of it. The first story in "Full Dark - No Stars" is a masterpiece.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/18/13 11:31 a.m.

Yeah, that's another signal that he's back. Overall that's a pretty decent collection of stories. The Dark Tower series started out promising but fizzled.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RXxnpsXgCh8KUi1p4mDCQTVxifGLX3hLMbB5cKBRPINPRGtZLVQiooXWVi4LYGoZ