1 2 3 4
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/18/19 11:27 a.m.

I've figured on $2k a month for rent as a general benchmark.  Less is nice, a little more is okay.  Double what I pay now but that's how it goes.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/18/19 11:42 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I've figured on $2k a month for rent as a general benchmark.  Less is nice, a little more is okay.  Double what I pay now but that's how it goes.

You won't get anything (decent) in the city for that; those rowhomes sell for 300K+, so you can do the math on what they rent for.  But in the County, definitely doable.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
9/18/19 11:45 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse
9/18/19 12:06 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

That tiny little area (I'd always known it by Ramsay) looks decent; I've walked through there in the daytime.  But there are some really, really sketchy areas a few blocks away.  Directly East is about your only escape route.  

People will park all over your E36 M3 on game days (stadiums nearby).  I'd put your odds at being a victim of some sort of property crime at about 10% per year.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
9/18/19 3:45 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse:  Hrm.  Not sure about all that, then.  Probably moot as I doubt that specific location would still be available for rent when I would be out there and looking.

I also maybe have a shot at a job in Manasas, VA, so this might not even turn into anything.  Fun and excitement.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/18/19 6:23 p.m.

Manasas is safer but northern Virginia is even more expensive.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
9/18/19 11:33 p.m.

Manassas looks boring.  Scratch that off the list.

volvoclearinghouse
9/19/19 6:03 a.m.

Any town named after the male posterior would be off my list, but that's just me.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/19/19 7:31 a.m.

The traffic jam I observed right next the battlefield was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.  Apparently, I took in the main battlefield on Sunday and had no problem.  On Monday I went to scope out the Second Manassas battlefield and traffic was backed up for miles at the intersection.  Second Manassas is scattered around, so riding around looking at the high points was out of the question.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/19/19 8:46 a.m.

Traffic is Northern Virginia is epic.  The stuff of legends.  Soul crushing for anyone not coming from the NYC or LA metro areas.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/19/19 9:13 a.m.

I personally LOVE Baltimore.  It has most of the things I like in a town: good nightlife, world-class restaurants, friendly people, things to do.

In my life I have probably been to the Aquarium 20 times.  I could go tomorrow and see it again.  Prime Rib restauraunt rocks.  Fells Point is super old with great night life, brick streets, live music, tons of history.

And, like any city, it has parts of it that are not so nice.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/19/19 11:43 a.m.
einy said:

Stupid question, but what does “the wire” on the neighborhood map mean ?

It means you will probably get shot there. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/19/19 11:55 a.m.

If you want to live near the fun in Baltimore, I would look for an apartment in Fell's Point, possibly upper Fell's Point, Federal Hill, and Canton.  Some parts of Hampden are pretty nice as well.  All of those areas have street parking though, unless you can luck out and find a place with a garage.    Here's one in Canton where you're about a 5 block walk (max) from all types of neat pubs and restaurants.  3 minute drive to Target/Michaels/some expensive grocery store that I can't remember/Safeway.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/d/baltimore-beautiful-rehab-canton-row/6955961972.html

Here's a nice one in Canton with a garage

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/d/baltimore-2br-2b-with-possible-3rd/6947814305.html

This one is in a very nice location, right next to the water in Fell's Point.  I pass by this area on my lunchtime walks pretty often.  Walking distance to basically anything in Fell's Point, and parking included.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/d/baltimore-fells-point-2-bedroom-with/6970314436.html

pres589 (djronnebaum)
9/19/19 12:18 p.m.

Curtis:  Solid, thanks.

infinite:  Solid, those are the kinds of options I figured were out there.  Seems like my $2k/mo estimate is pretty on the money, no pun intended.

There's still other things going on; we'll see where I end up.  Again, thanks for everyone providing real info.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/19/19 12:22 p.m.

Glad I was able to help!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/19/19 12:32 p.m.

pretty boring but they do have the nearest 24 hr AZ to DC in Bull Run IIRC - was a real boon to drive 45 mins out there at night after working 11-13hrs downtown DC. smiley

volvoclearinghouse
9/19/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Those all seem like solid choices, from a location stand point.  Surprised they're as cheap as they are, especially the one with the garage.  

Funny, I work right on the other side of the harbor from you (Riverside).

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/19/19 12:52 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Those all seem like solid choices, from a location stand point.  Surprised they're as cheap as they are, especially the one with the garage.  

Funny, I work right on the other side of the harbor from you (Riverside).

I was pleasantly surprised at the cheapest one on the list, the one in Fell's Point.  That's a very nice area right around the corner from some seriously expensive condos.  Also, high neighbor!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
9/19/19 1:04 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

pretty boring but they do have the nearest 24 hr AZ to DC in Bull Run ...

I don't know what you're trying to tell me.  What is this business or attraction or whatever?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/20/19 12:04 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

pretty boring but they do have the nearest 24 hr AZ to DC in Bull Run ...

I don't know what you're trying to tell me.  What is this business or attraction or whatever?

think he is referring to a 24 hour Auto Zone store. Something I have never seen anywhere.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/20/19 12:09 a.m.

Yep. 24 hr VatoZone. Godsend.smiley

Bull Run Manassas.

volvoclearinghouse
9/20/19 5:54 a.m.

*waves across the floating dead bodies in the harbor*

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/20/19 7:25 a.m.

After spending less than 24 hours in B-more for a quick overnight work trip, I have a few totally unscientific and poorly researched opinions based on ver limited observation:

1. Traffic ranged between "hmmm...no thanks" and "AW berkeley NO!"  Of course it was rush hour when I got there, so it's probably no worse than, say...285 around Atlanta on a friday. In the rain. On a holiday.
  2. Overall it reminded me of Atlanta about 15 years ago, just in worse financial shape. A little more beat down, a little more depressed.
  3. Just how bad does your city drug problem have to be that there are frequent radio commercials advertising Narcan - pointing out that no perscription is required, it's available at any drug store, and you never know when you might be able to save a life? I mean...wow.
  4. Owings Mills is a generica hell of chain restaurants and poor traffic planning
  5. The area around Westminster is beautiful and I could see living there easily. 
  6. the base model SXT Caravan is a miserable imitation of an automobile.

That entire trip was like sandpaper underwear. Never catastrophic, but annoying and mildly painful the entire time.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
9/20/19 7:45 a.m.

Personally, I’d avoid the city proper, but could see the appeal of you’re young and single. Just be mindful of the neighborhood as pointed out. I could not park on the street, or deal with the riff-raff.

I live in Harford Co. (about 20 miles up 95 from downtown) and it’s a totally different place for the most part... as most of the burbs are. I work in Columbia, which is constantly voted as one of the top places to live in the country, but it’s expensive. BWI is actually south of the city, and if you stick south, you can avoid the daily tunnel toll. Yes, traffic sucks. 

einy
einy HalfDork
9/20/19 11:23 a.m.
infinitenexus said:
einy said:

Stupid question, but what does “the wire” on the neighborhood map mean ?

It means you will probably get shot there. 

Oh, I don't know ... because of this thread, I've started watching The Wire (available on Prime), and those seem like some nice, family oriented fellows !!!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZmVVw1xxkao5TDzp52boVQd2ff5byHDIUTkn2nw7qeWGH5aJ5mBo04mE3MvhFuBv