1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/14 9:12 p.m.

You will pay a toll when you cross the Hudson, at least in one direction.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/14 5:54 a.m.

If you are planning to be in the Bronx by 9 coming straight up 95 should be fine. Just be aware that the roads here are mostly a collection of potholes connected by large craters. I don't know how much distance 84 adds to your trip home but it does generally move well even through the construction.

You can't pump gas in Jersey, or make a left turn in many places. And remember that "go berkeley yourself is considered an acceptable greeting on many parts of New York. Some people assume we're bad people because of it but it mostly just keeps yous from getting comfortable here and lingering in our way. Back when people thought they'd get raped and murdered on the side of the highway traffic sailed right through.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
5/15/14 8:15 a.m.

Be prepared. "listen berkeleyer" is new yorker for "pardon me". Ya just have to understand the dialect.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/15/14 10:42 a.m.

Let us not compare NYC people to us up staters.

We are very friendly.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
5/19/14 10:00 a.m.

Just thought I'd provide an update:

I survived the trip and came home with the goods. I left my mom's house in Weston, WV at 12:30am Friday night/Saturday morning alone in a white 2010 Ford Ranger pulling a single-axle ATV trailer and drove I79 to I68 to I70. I hooked on to I81 at Hagerstown, MD and went from i81 to I78 toward Allentown, PA and then onto I287, up and over, across the Tappan Zee Bridge ($11.50 toll). At Elmsford, NY, I headed south on some various Parkways or Thruways or somesuch. Narrowly escaping NYC, I was in New Rochelle at 9am. The parts were laid out for me, but I decided to let the seller know I was there (and hopefully get some help loading the cumbersome body). The collection of beer cans and bottles in the yard and crowding every horizontal surface inside and outside the house told me it might be a little early to expect the occupants to come out and do heavy lifting... or possibly to have even recovered from their anesthesia enough to be aware of a doorbell. I loaded the parts by myself and was on i95 at 9:30am, heading to Stratford, CT. The Norwalk traffic was abusive, but I was through Stamford then Bridgeport and at my destination in Stratford with the remaining parts loaded at 11am. I punched "Carlisle, PA" into my GPS; ETA 3:00pm. Back on I95, the traffic and general mania took hold. I made the mistake of pressing "Detour" on the GPS and though I escaped the gridlock thanks to an exit ramp, I was also afforded a lovely but time-sucking view of some random Connecticut town before I got back to I95. I carried on through Port Chester, White Plains, back over the Tappan Zee Bridge. Somewhere between Mahwah and Parsippanny, stinking of flop sweat, wired on caffeine, and feeling like Indiana Jones when he narrowly escaped the massive, rolling death ball at the beginning of Raiders, I was able to relax and admire the collection of vintage German plastic in my rearview mirror. I arrived at Import Carlisle at 4:00pm, saw everything there by 4:30, and was back on i81 S by 5:00. I was back in WV recounting the saga to my wife and kids at 9:00pm Saturday night. Total time: 20.5 hours. Total miles: 1050. Total rapes/murders/incidents: 0*

*does not include the trans-stall rest stop gaze I received that lasted for an inappropriate length of time.

I reconfigured the trailer (above) to carry all three pieces, hooked it to the family truckster, and we made the two hour drive home to Charleston, WV. As you would imagine, fuel mileage was affected.

What I haven't said before is that, in GRM terms, the outlay for this was one quarter Miatas. Through the brokered the sale of just the orange part, I will net 4-5 Miatas and my friend will get a Miata or two for commission. Thankfully, someone else will arrange and pay for the transport to England. I'm over the moon with the parts and very happy to be home. Now I need to order some steel tube. Many thanks for the traffic advice everyone.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jpfUP92yQagz5HcuR8RUl8j4UZRvOQamb728sxYkRgF9aptQIKZkZ6mHDGIOk7qt