Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/18/21 9:39 p.m.

Electric truck?

Bronco soft top?

technically Allen Park

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
3/18/21 9:49 p.m.

If ford makes an electric truck I sure hope they call it a lightning. 

GHMBs Lightning and Warthog?

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/21 10:41 p.m.

I think the standard top on the 4 door Broncos is a soft top. The hard top is extra for those. The 2 door has the hard top as standard.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/21 10:51 p.m.

Looks like a Black Diamond trim in Area 51 with the signature headlights and on the standard 17" steel wheels with 32" AT tires cool

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/18/21 11:25 p.m.

I believe that is a camouflaged 2022 Ford Maverick P/U.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/21 11:39 p.m.
Rons said:

Mavericks are pickups now, Mustangs are electric CUVs, and next year the Pinto is coming back as a trim level for an Explorer. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/21 11:55 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
Rons said:

Mavericks are pickups now, Mustangs are electric CUVs, and next year the Pinto is coming back as a trim level for an Explorer. 

If a Scamp can be a truck, and a Eclipse a crossover, why not?

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/19/21 5:47 a.m.
Rons said:

Everything old is new again!  Let's bring back the Merkur badge.

DatsunGuy, you'll see tons more just driving around Allen Park area.  Lots of spy photographers just park and shoot photos all day around there, worth it if you can capture something new an engineer just got clearance to remove the camo on.  They caught me in the RS when that was new. We'd been driving around already for a few weeks, they just happened to be sitting at a gas station on the corner and I was stuck at a light.  Car was a bit dirty from all the dirt roads in Michigan.

2016 Ford Focus RS Spy Photos
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15109740/2016-ford-focus-rs-spy-photos-news/

AlfaDriver works at Ford in the area I believe.

If you're looking for lunch spots, check out this pizza shop in Allen Park, BarStoolSports guy said its the best pizza in detroit and now they're swamped. Probably less busy now that the hype has died down, they're really good.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/dining/2021/02/12/melvindales-fredi-pizzaman-overwhelmed-after-barstool-review/6726039002/

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/19/21 6:03 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

And now that most of us have been working from home for the last year- there are more test cars in normal neighborhoods than at the test track.  I had a Transit Connect at home for about a month.

BTW, IMHO, it's quite unlikely that a vehicle will be called a Maverick- that's the name of an engine that is currently in production.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/19/21 6:10 a.m.

Last summer this Bronco was sitting in the Roush parking lot close to the road.  I'm convinced it's on purpose to build a little hype.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/19/21 6:11 a.m.

I'm waiting for a new Gran Torino, I mean they did miss the marketing punch of the Clint Eastwood movie a few years back. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/21 7:53 a.m.

I understand the reasoning behind those crazy patterned wraps they put on prototypes, but I've always felt like they had the opposite effect. Most people wouldn't even notice these cars on the road if they were undisguised. But when you put that stuff on them, all of a sudden they stand out. Especially the Focus RS above. Everyone would assume that's just another Focus and not give it a second glance. But with that wrap on the front, you know it's a prototype of some kind.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/19/21 7:55 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Right? And make it affordable for the hard working UAW guy?

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/21 7:59 a.m.

I really want a LeMons car, wrapped in that camo stuff.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/19/21 8:16 a.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

I think the standard top on the 4 door Broncos is a soft top. The hard top is extra for those. The 2 door has the hard top as standard.

That... is odd.  I would have thought the opposite would make more sense.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/21 8:16 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Last summer this Bronco was sitting in the Roush parking lot close to the road.  I'm convinced it's on purpose to build a little hype.  

I just zoomed in on the wrap. It's a BRONCO pattern. They know what they're doing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/19/21 8:18 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:
Rons said:

If a Scamp can be a truck, and a Eclipse a crossover, why not?

Remember when the automotive world blew a collective gasket because the new Charger was going to be a 4-door?

Yeah.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/21 8:23 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to engiekev :

BTW, IMHO, it's quite unlikely that a vehicle will be called a Maverick- that's the name of an engine that is currently in production.

Wait, what? Isn't the new truck sized like the older rangers supposed to be called Maverick?

STM317
STM317 UberDork
3/19/21 8:25 a.m.

Really hoping the electric F150 has strong range and has a sub- $70k MSRP. The aero work at the back of the cab is interesting.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/19/21 8:42 a.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to engiekev :

Wait, what? Isn't the new truck sized like the older rangers supposed to be called Maverick?

Not that I'm aware of.  We've been calling the current breed of a certain motor that for a few years now.  And I've never seen an engine name translate into a vehicle name.

Possible, but it's not happened over the last 30 years.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/21 8:54 a.m.

When I worked for Mitsubishi and had the Evo VIII we debadged it. Then taped weird stuff where the badges would be like a cardboard FedEx logo and made sure the outline was visible. We also tried to make it look like a Lancer with a hack job taped on body kit. Didn't work. Pics were always being taken esp. when in Death Valley and having support vehicles.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/19/21 9:13 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

I understand the reasoning behind those crazy patterned wraps they put on prototypes, but I've always felt like they had the opposite effect. Most people wouldn't even notice these cars on the road if they were undisguised. But when you put that stuff on them, all of a sudden they stand out. Especially the Focus RS above. Everyone would assume that's just another Focus and not give it a second glance. But with that wrap on the front, you know it's a prototype of some kind.

My favorite is the time Morgan was testing a prototype and had the camo wrap on it. Yeah, I totally couldn't tell that it's a Morgan prototype.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/19/21 9:45 a.m.

Rousch does a ton of Ford skunkworks at least in the polymer and composites arenas.  I've run a bunch of cool trials there, they always have random stuff they are doing for Disney or other auto makers.  Very cool bunch there.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
5/7/21 9:57 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

If ford makes an electric truck I sure hope they call it a lightning. 

Skidoosh!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XQJyIV60XkKRgrt5Pz91UFrZkGghhBcbo5GVvC1SgcxVkVSxD2DdhPc2hCZdUET5