1 2 3 4 5
mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/29/21 8:31 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Where I work, during the interview board, they slide a laptop across to the candidate and make them log into Facebook and the interviewers look at it thoroughly. Is that legal, I don't know, but we've done it for years to quite a few candidates. 

THAT is a place I would never work. No way that is legal. Holy cow. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/21 8:43 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Company policy doesn't override Federal Law. It is illegal for any employer to bar any employee from discussing wages or retaliate in any way for doing so. I have a personally earned a check for $1700 from my former employer for reporting about them doing just that and them being found guilty. 

I'm well aware of that and you'll notice neither of my posts in this thread referred to salary in any way, shape, or form.

I think you may have meant to respond to someone else.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/29/21 8:52 p.m.

I do it, every single person I'm thinking of hiring. You can be whomever you want to be for an hour being asked questions but your complete digital history can say a LOT more about your character in far less time.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
7/29/21 9:23 p.m.
mtn said:
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Where I work, during the interview board, they slide a laptop across to the candidate and make them log into Facebook and the interviewers look at it thoroughly. Is that legal, I don't know, but we've done it for years to quite a few candidates. 

THAT is a place I would never work. No way that is legal. Holy cow. 

They don't make them, they ask them. Some are dumb enough to do it for some reason. It's perfectly legal to ask. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/29/21 9:26 p.m.

Plot twist: What if the OP's candidate's alleged Facebook profile wasn't really his/hers?

(I know.. being an internal candidate makes this much less likely)

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/21 9:35 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Company policy doesn't override Federal Law. It is illegal for any employer to bar any employee from discussing wages or retaliate in any way for doing so. I have a personally earned a check for $1700 from my former employer for reporting about them doing just that and them being found guilty. 

I'm well aware of that and you'll notice neither of my posts in this thread referred to salary in any way, shape, or form.

I think you may have meant to respond to someone else.

Obviously my post was directed at the OP. Not sure if I fat-fingered the reply button or if the forum software and my phone didn't play well together. My apologies to you, that was completely unintentional.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
7/29/21 9:40 p.m.

I  figure whatever I put on the Internet can come back later and bite me in the butt , 

You wonder how anyone will be able to run for office when all the stupid stuff they  have said  thru life can be found in a google search , 

What would happen if this guy froze his Facebook , got the job and then turned his Facebook back on ?

"the Walls have eyes "

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/29/21 9:49 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Plot twist: What if the OP's candidate's alleged Facebook profile wasn't really his/hers?

(I know.. being an internal candidate makes this much less likely)

Possible. But extremely unlikely - unique name, in a not-highly-populated area. And the posts about his job matched his resume (all of those that I saw were safe and appropriate, nothing I would have passed on to anyone). Being internal didn't have much impact there either. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/29/21 9:55 p.m.

I'm not here to say this is ok behavior but if you ever had to deal with an idiot for a year that you shouldn't have hired it really makes sense.  I have a super clean and polished LinkedIn and a face FB profile to allow car part shopping.  Maybe a sad statement but keeps me off the radar in the corporate world.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/21 12:58 a.m.

Threads like this remind me how much different construction work is. I don't even get a resume let alone look at social media or frankly......anything that isn't watching how they work and talking with them.

Come to think of it, I've never actually written a resume, although I did get a job once when someone asked me....."So.....why should I hire you" and I replied......"cause I'm berkeleying awesome" .

My life is weird

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 1:17 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

LOL sounds like my 2nd Quarter review I got today from my boss.  I replied "It's hard being so good."

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 7:15 a.m.

If you can't deal with my FB page, you damn sure can't deal with me. I'd rather find that out before starting a new job rather than after. 

As the one that hires, I don't really care what their home life is. If they have their E36 M3 together on the job, that's good enough. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/30/21 8:02 a.m.
mtn said:

In any case, be smart about what you put out there 

This really applies in all situations.  It's always a good idea to re-read what you typed before clicking on the Send button.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 9:15 a.m.

My current employer considers it to be a security upside if you're not on social media at all, may have helped me land the job.

BMWGeoff
BMWGeoff GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/21 9:38 a.m.

My last name is Smith, and I live in a densly populated area, so good luck finding me. I also don't post anything that I wouldn't say to my parents, since they're on there too.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/30/21 10:15 a.m.
BMWGeoff said:

My last name is Smith, and I live in a densly populated area, so good luck finding me. I also don't post anything that I wouldn't say to my parents, since they're on there too.

I have a very similar situation. On LinkedIn, there are at least 35 of my exact name in my area. Facebook is harder to search, but I'd expect there are at least 100 of me in this area. I've personally met 4 of us, 6 if you count different spellings. 

This person had a first name that hasn't been common in quite some time, and a last name that I don't even know what ethnicity it would imply beyond knowing that the name has Latin roots, but its the only one of that name I'd ever seen. 

And I like the parents thing. My parents always said "would you say that in front of Grandmother? Then don't say it". This person's profile was definitely not one that I would show my parents. When I told my wife about the cover photo, she was rather shocked that someone would post something so shocking. Would not have been out of place on Fetlife. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 10:20 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

And I know two of you! :-)

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/30/21 10:33 a.m.

When I am dealing with a student who is acting like a knob, I often Google them and find their social media pages.  Often I come back with "the kid's not that bad in my class....".

There was a Hockey kid I got after in the halls once, for being a big meanie and rough-housing some smaller kid.  Googled him. Turned out the kid had more penalty minutes than ice time.  Makes sense....

BMWGeoff
BMWGeoff GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/21 10:44 a.m.
mtn said:

And I like the parents thing. My parents always said "would you say that in front of Grandmother? Then don't say it". This person's profile was definitely not one that I would show my parents. When I told my wife about the cover photo, she was rather shocked that someone would post something so shocking. Would not have been out of place on Fetlife. 

My Grandmother was active on Facebook up until she passed earlier this year, so that applied for me as well.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/30/21 10:58 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mtn :

And I know two of you! :-)

If you ever get confused, I'm the one that plays guitar

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
7/30/21 11:33 a.m.

The only thing that came up when I googled my name just now is Linkedin which I never use. I don't post on facebook. I post on other social media sites but not with my real name. Never hurts to maintain a little privacy.

I'm sure some employers would be put off by my posts if they could find them. I'd probably be put off by their opinions and beliefs as well. Bosses and managers can be brash, obnoxious, inflammatory people too. Maybe they just hide it better. Or maybe they advance in the company because that's seen as "motivated and enthusiastic" or something. I don't know.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/30/21 11:36 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

My current employer considers it to be a security upside if you're not on social media at all, may have helped me land the job.

I'm of the opinion of you're old enough to be job searching you're too old for social media. These days I'm in the minority with that opinion it seems.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/30/21 11:39 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

They would be shocked at the language my Grandma can handle. laugh

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/30/21 11:51 a.m.
RevRico said:
GameboyRMH said:

I'm of the opinion of you're old enough to be job searching you're too old for social media. These days I'm in the minority with that opinion it seems.

I keep trying and failing. Too addicted to FB Marketplace. If Craigslist would make a comeback...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/21 11:52 a.m.
RevRico said:
GameboyRMH said:

It's the easiest way I know to keep up with bands/comedians/venues, for new releases, tours, etc. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
58uq6rQWTPTWCsLNSNko3rLod4Q59xzfTQztLZx2yGfLclVTgoPikeOuolfFuRTj