1 2 3 4 5
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/30/21 12:01 p.m.

^I would be happy to not be on Facebook, but I do it for similar reasons.  Browse FB marketplace.  Hell, some autox clubs use FB as their only web presence (which drives me insane because the interface is awful).

That said, you can do all that and effectively not be on social media.  You don't have to have any content in your profile.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/30/21 12:03 p.m.
RevRico said:
GameboyRMH said:

My current employer considers it to be a security upside if you're not on social media at all, may have helped me land the job.

I'm of the opinion of you're old enough to be job searching you're too old for social media. These days I'm in the minority with that opinion it seems.

Also... You realize that this forum counts as social media, right?

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/30/21 12:07 p.m.

I joined FB for about a week, people came

out of the woodwork from high school and former work places which left me wondering how they found me so quick. I deleted my info and deactivated the account. It didn't feel natural to me.

My name is shared with a popular TV character from the 80-90's (from what I've heard) so googling me is an exercise in futility unless you add my city. Then there are a few hits. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/21 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Hilariously I think I shared a Dilbert cartoon that says basically that today on facebook.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 1:29 p.m.
z31maniac said:
RevRico said:
GameboyRMH said:

My current employer considers it to be a security upside if you're not on social media at all, may have helped me land the job.

I'm of the opinion of you're old enough to be job searching you're too old for social media. These days I'm in the minority with that opinion it seems.

It's the easiest way I know to keep up with bands/comedians/venues, for new releases, tours, etc. 

As well as friends, family, car clubs, the local camping group, the local off-road group, and countless other things of interest. 

I've been on FB for 10 years. I weed my friends list aggressively. If you are using it as your personal soapbox, you get deleted. If you are using it to berate people you don't agree with, you get deleted. The extreme political on both sides, vaxxers, anti-vaxxers, uber-religious, overly vocal atheist, the disgusting. Gone. 

Show me what you made for dinner, what your kids did, where you went on vacation, what your projects are and I'll be interested. Other than that, I'll probably give you the ax. 

Besides, FB has some of the best memes. 

7/30/21 1:30 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

If you can't deal with my FB page, you damn sure can't deal with me. I'd rather find that out before starting a new job rather than after. 

As the one that hires, I don't really care what their home life is. If they have their E36 M3 together on the job, that's good enough. 

Totally agree on the last bit.

To me it's......creepy when you see bosses trying to control and/or monitor the lives of their employees beyond at work. You don't own them and it's unhealthy for work to be the biggest thing in their lives. It's a boundry that should never be crossed.

7/30/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/30/21 2:14 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

If you can't deal with my FB page, you damn sure can't deal with me. I'd rather find that out before starting a new job rather than after. 

As the one that hires, I don't really care what their home life is. If they have their E36 M3 together on the job, that's good enough. 

Totally agree on the last bit.

To me it's......creepy when you see bosses trying to control and/or monitor the lives of their employees beyond at work. You don't own them and it's unhealthy for work to be the biggest thing in their lives. It's a boundry that should never be crossed.

I 100% agree with this. Which is why I keep mine locked down, and wonder why others don't do the same. 

FWIW, I would never go looking for an employee/peer/boss on social media. No need. I work with them/for them, we're in the situation. This is a little different - I'm not in the situation yet. I want to see if it is a situation I want to be in. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/21 2:19 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Threads like this remind me how much different construction work is. I don't even get a resume let alone look at social media or frankly......anything that isn't watching how they work and talking with them.

Come to think of it, I've never actually written a resume, although I did get a job once when someone asked me....."So.....why should I hire you" and I replied......"cause I'm berkeleying awesome" .

My life is weird

I'm with you. 

If I had to limit people who cuss, smoke, lie , and act stupid I would never be able to find any welders, masons, carpenters, roofers...  the place would be pretty empty. 

Heck, I've had to pay bail dozens of times to get my workers back!!

I care about their skills, and how they treat people they work with. Don't really care what they do online. 

Apparently none of my customers care either. Most of y'all would buy our product without hesitation. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/21 2:20 p.m.
z31maniac said:
RevRico said:
GameboyRMH said:

It's the easiest way I know to keep up with bands/comedians/venues, for new releases, tours, etc. 

As well as friends, family, car clubs, the local camping group, the local off-road group, and countless other things of interest. 

I've been on FB for 10 years. I weed my friends list aggressively. If you are using it as your personal soapbox, you get deleted. If you are using it to berate people you don't agree with, you get deleted. The extreme political on both sides, vaxxers, anti-vaxxers, uber-religious, overly vocal atheist, the disgusting. Gone. 

Show me what you made for dinner, what your kids did, where you went on vacation, what your projects are and I'll be interested. Other than that, I'll probably give you the ax. 

Also true. I love me some meme's. Even though my profile is locked down, I'm still conscious about what I reshare. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/21 2:33 p.m.

Googling my name brings up a child rapist in Britain. 

Life sucks. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
7/30/21 4:55 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Life sucks. 

Could be worse, you could live in Britain too

7/30/21 5:00 p.m.

Life sucks. 

I guess I'm lucky that there's about a dozen people ( and oddly a book plus a character in a movie somehow) with my last name out there lol

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 5:02 p.m.
z31maniac said:
z31maniac said:
RevRico said:
GameboyRMH said:

Also true. I love me some meme's. Even though my profile is locked down, I'm still conscious about what I reshare. 

I don't post anything I wouldn't say in person. I don't post anything I wouldn't tell my mother. Pretty much what you see is what you get. 

Going over my FB security settings, it looks like the only people that can see what I post are the people on my friends list. And since I seldom post, most of them probably don't see it either. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/21 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

Yeah, but to your point about friends and family, I bet like most of us these days we have friends and family all over the country and maybe the world.

I have friends all up and down both coasts. My mom and her husband split their time between San Diego and Hawaii, Aunt is in NYC, have friends from San Diego to LA, to the Bay, Portland and Seattle, Texas, Atlanta, etc etc.

I also tend to mute/unfollow people who can do nothing but talk politics or other BS. I share silly memes, or music/automobile/science and tech stories I find interesting.

Social media is what you make of it. I think many, not all, who poo-poo it do it out of a "too cool for school" attitude.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/21 5:48 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Social media is what you make of it. I think many, not all, who poo-poo it do it out of a "too cool for school" attitude.

Yup, Facebook's algorithm responds to what you feed it on an individual basis.  Feed it political arguments and it serves you up more of those.  Feed it pictures of cute kitties and you get more of that.

What Facebook did is build a system that's very good at figuring out, via demonstrated preference, what people ACTUALLY want to see/read/consume/etc.  Not what they want you to think they want to read, not what they tell you they want to read, but what they demonstrate through their actions.  I think that makes a lot of people nervous.

And guess what?  It turns out a lot of people want to argue politics with strangers on the Internet.  Sigh.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/21 5:56 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I just saw a long thread of a political argument on a friend's post, so I responded and simply put:

"So fellas, which one of you changed your mind?"

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 6:36 p.m.

I kind of understand the hate for Facebook, but without it letting me connect to some of you and a few good support groups there is a chance I wouldn't be here now, I certainly wouldn't be functioning as well as I am. Like most things it's an inanimate object Sind you get from it what you choose to. Most of what I have is open to the public. I know my bosses check it and some stuff is there for them. Other groups are not and I can open up a bit more.  It's not for everyone but it's definitely for some. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 8:24 p.m.

When I was hired (by a guy I knew) to be a stage hand for a non-profit performance venue that caters to children's theater as well as music concerts, the conversation went something like this:

Boss:  Can you pass a pee test?
Me:  Yessir
Boss: (looking over his glasses) Are you sure?  Cause I know a guy that can get you some clean pee.
Me:  Did you just...
Boss:  Look, if I had to only hire clean techies, I wouldn't have a staff.

I had the following conversation with my previous boss after I came back from a vacation in Costa Rica.  Of note, I had also only had my job for about 4 months.

Boss:  How was your TRIP?!?!?
Me:  If you ever wanted an excuse to get rid of me, now would be a good time for a pee test
Boss:  (laughing) Which drugs did you do?
Me:  Yes.

For the record, I very rarely partake, as in maybe an edible once a year on vacation.  I'm simply grateful that I work in a permissive field.  I'm also a very minimal social media person.  The only publicly-viewable platform I'm on is FB, and the only reason I have it is because it's where my friends are.  I've lived in 6 states, 2 provinces, and three countries.  FB is like a filing cabinet where I can keep in touch with people I've met for the last 20 years.  But I don't really "post" other than to share announcements for my theater, or to wish someone a happy birthday.  If I were applying for a job and they looked up my social media, I'd be fine with that, because A) I don't post dumb E36 M3 that would prevent me from getting a job, and B) if it prevents me from getting a job, screw them because it means their values don't align with mine.  If a company is more worried about what I post than they are on my suitability for a job... Didn't need em.  Of course, I also wouldn't be a hoser and go blabbing about the interview and fake salary, either.

I think the point is, what you post on social media is inferred as who you are.  Be impeccable with your word.

7/30/21 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I spent a lot of years being the typical FB user;  the person who re-posts some time-wasting meme that aligns with my political views, ignorantly thinking that I just solved the internet and the argument is over.  Posting my lunch and tagging the restaurant because I stupidly thought that credit-where-it's-due on the internet would bring more business, without realizing that a personal appreciation to the chef is certainly more impactful to the heart of the very person who prepared my food.

I went fully offline for a year or so.  Now I just try to post uplifting things, or repost things that my theater announces.  Now when I see those same type of political memes that I used to post (regardless of whether or not I agree with them) I kinda cringe.  I just think of the person posting it, knowing that they wouldn't actually use those words in a grocery store or at a party even with their closest friends... so why say it in front of billions of people you don't even know?

travellering
travellering HalfDork
7/30/21 8:35 p.m.

I'm lucky I'm a machinist and not a schoolteacher, as someone with my same first and last name wrote a book (from jail on child molestation charges) about how sex offenders are perfectly normal people.    I doubt I'd even make the first interview after their google search...

7/30/21 8:52 p.m.

If I ever interview with GRM, they'll see I live on Berkley St, and they don't tolerate that kind of profanity.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
7/30/21 8:58 p.m.

I just checked and googling my name shows stuff I make and autox results.  I'm OK with that.  Fortunately it no longer leads here or to youtube 

7/30/21 8:59 p.m.

Life sucks. 

Oh my gosh... I just googled me.

My problem is that on the whole earth, there are 6 known people with the Mittong surname left.  None of them are Curtis-es except me.  Googling me always finds me.

The first page was my IMDB link.  About the 4th or 5th was this one: Curtis Mittong height - How tall is Curtis Mittong? (celebheightwiki.com) It's some database on actors' specs.  The BEST PART....  I scrolled down to find this crock of horse dung.  Hey, guys... I'm rich.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/30/21 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

And if they dont have a FB account?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hd1MZkBsc6aDWS7IsIW3rx2eXkviBMbceSOqi45fQjW4Szez38Q79rkWnTPrAZ0y