1 2 3 4 ... 8
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 7:29 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
6/1/20 7:33 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
I more wonder if you are just feeling that you are not in the majority anymore....

That's a bit insulting, if not condescending. There are people who prefer not to engage in political discussion at all times, and do not feel a need to inject politics into every aspect of their lives. In fact, for some who contend with political issues on a regular or even daily basis, the opportunity to participate in something free of political animosity is something of a relief. Heretofore, the guiding principle here was to avoid potentially divisive or inflammatory political statements; that appears to no longer be the case, which is a shame.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/20 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Yes, these are very stressful times. I admit, I'm stressed, and I'm a straight, cis white male. 

Just talked to a friend tonight. She's scared of being doxxed and has taken preparations against a physical attack in her own residence. 

A friend from school posted on Facebook that his daughter cried when he left the house to run errands because she's afraid that he's going to be killed by the police. 

A cousin of mine is (slowly) recovering from Covid-19. "You don't want this," he said. 

That's stressful about stuff involving life or death. My take: Build a longer table and, yes, let's work towards a better, more inclusive future. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 7:41 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I 100% agree. Unfortunately many political posts from one side are allowed to stand. It's getting pretty old. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/20 7:42 p.m.

Team, do as you please but I've decided to be more generous with hitting the "Plus One" button...COVID-19 is the worst thing I've seen in my 55 years on this planet, dump police brutality in 2020 on top of that and, um, well, you understand, please don't be stingy hitting the "Plus One"....M' Kay.      

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/1/20 7:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Yes, these are very stressful times. I admit, I'm stressed, and I'm a straight, cis white male. 

Just talked to a friend tonight. She's scared of being doxxed and has taken preparations against a physical attack in her own residence. 

A friend from school posted on Facebook that his daughter cried when he left the house to run errands because she's afraid that he's going to be killed by the police. 

A cousin of mine is (slowly) recovering from Covid-19. "You don't want this," he said. 

That's stressful about stuff involving life or death. My take: Build a longer table and, yes, let's work towards a better, more inclusive future. 

Sheesh.  I know I'm old, but what is "cis" and what does "doxxed" mean?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/20 7:46 p.m.

I apparently missed much in the 48 hours I wasn't on here much

David S. Wallens
6/1/20 7:50 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Join the club of being old. 

cis = not transgender

doxxed = when LBGT+ folks are "outed."

I guess tonight it's a mix of being outed and then beaten up. Even if it doens't happen, the stress. She knows to check in later. 

David S. Wallens
6/1/20 7:54 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

The sorta funny thing about the Covid-19 with my cousin, I guess. Both of our dads have been talking a lot lately about this big family tree project--all cool stuff. I haven't talked to my cousin much lately, so I pinged him on FB. We were talking about normal, family-type stuff. 

Then he's like, Oh, I have Covid.

Dude, you don't just drop that in the middle of the conversation. Sounds like his whole immediate family tested positive, but he was the only one who got hit hard. He's still on the mend. 

Suddenly, whatever BS I had going on in my life seemed pretty insignificant. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Doxxing has nothing to do with LBGT.

dox

/däks/

verb

INFORMAL

past tense: doxxed; past participle: doxxed

1. search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.

David S. Wallens
6/1/20 7:57 p.m.

Yes, true, thanks for the clarification. Tonight, though, it was specific to a member of the LBGT community.  

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 8:21 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

I may not be far behind. I'm no longer feeling like this is a fun escape and rather end up ticked off at rude people and contributing to the conflict instead of avoiding it. It doesn't seem like a healthy cycle. 

Nothing but class from one of the rudest people here. I'm sure it is a great relief to you to make my day worse instead of better. Must be a really fulfilling hobby.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 8:26 p.m.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
6/1/20 8:28 p.m.

The actual answer is it's really not hard to keep your politics to yourself. I've managed to mostly do it for 12 years on here and I'm a giant shiny happy person.

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/20 8:28 p.m.

Yeah, just for reference, dox is l33t (early hacker) slang for "docs," as in, I've got this persons' docs.   It quickly expanded to include any potentially identifying info such as full name, address, phone number, email address, etc.

It's often used on social media to direct harassment towards someone by posting their phone number (lots of people will call with vulgarities or death threats) or place of employment.

6/1/20 8:30 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to dculberson (Forum Supporter) :

This is a car forum, not an airport. Go or don't go, but no need to announce departures. It's sad. 

Yeah, you just keep doubling down on being you. Thumbs up amigo. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/1/20 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

You know you can avoid the off-topic section.  But I feel your pain.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/1/20 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Wow, dude. 

Just...wow.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/20 9:26 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Join the club of being old. 

cis = not transgender

doxxed = when LBGT+ folks are "outed."

I guess tonight it's a mix of being outed and then beaten up. Even if it doens't happen, the stress. She knows to check in later. 

doxxed isnt just something that happens to LGBTQ+ folk.  There have been numerous victims of it.

It isnt just outting them either, it is revealing everything about the victim.  Address, phone number, employer, any personal information, any scandals or skeletons get brought out. 

It's kind of a horrible thing

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 9:35 p.m.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/1/20 9:38 p.m.

Wait, now I can't keep track of who's leaving and who isn't. Maybe we could do a little magnet-board? In and out marked hourly?

6/1/20 9:39 p.m.

I know I'm making a mistake by engaging with you but for some reason I can't avoid the dumpster fire. Point to one instance of me saying I'm considering leaving. And why aren't you harassing the two other people here saying the same thing? Because you love me and can't stand that I rebuked that pass you made the one drunken night in Amsterdam. We had a good time dude just leave it at that. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/1/20 9:40 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Wait, now I can't keep track of who's leaving and who isn't. Maybe we could do a little magnet-board? In and out marked hourly?

Okay,  this made me chuckle.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/1/20 9:49 p.m.

In reply to dculberson (Forum Supporter) :

Don't worry about the shiny happy person(s).  They're doing a good job of outing themselves right now.  Like the shiny happy person on 95 Saturday that felt the need to try and invoke road rage with me.  I blew them a kiss and that was enough to get them to disengage.   Remember they want a negative reaction.  Give them love in return and they don't know how to react.

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/1/20 9:53 p.m.

Steve, please check your email - you have a message. 

For the magnet board:

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aDHzb3ZqtivyoAgwjOa0hBM0LIXjiDoOv3riVeaOug676KdWyJuPrRHgp885bazu