1 2 3 4
gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/9/20 6:48 p.m.
RevRico said:

PAs exotic animal laws are weird. 

I can have a gator with no permit needed, but if I want a bear, monkey, or large cat, I need a permit.

Is this because a loose gator wouldn't survive the winter, as opposed to mammals which could become invasive? What about snakes, do you need a permit for those?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/20 7:03 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Poisonous snakes yes, others no. I do know of an exotic pet store, legal and legit and around for a very long time, that occasionally gets baby rattlesnakes in stock, I'm not sure how they sell them though. They also have a king cobra, which is awesome, but I don't think it's for sale. 

Reptiles seem to have fallen into a grey area in our state of bizarre and often overreaching laws.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 7:33 p.m.

I added this blue circle to the other "non Rhodic" population, except they replace latter-syllable Rs and Ls with W.

For Real? = For Rihw?
Pittsburgh Steelers = Picksburg Stihwers

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 11:29 p.m.

The actual borders of cities split into megaregions Apparently this is a practical split based on how people live and the influence these cities have into the areas around them vs. the actual boundaries.  For example, you might notice Helena influences south into Wyoming and east into North Dakota. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/20 12:08 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to gearheadmb :

Poisonous snakes yes, others no. I do know of an exotic pet store, legal and legit and around for a very long time, that occasionally gets baby rattlesnakes in stock, I'm not sure how they sell them though. They also have a king cobra, which is awesome, but I don't think it's for sale. 

Reptiles seem to have fallen into a grey area in our state of bizarre and often overreaching laws.

My guess, not knowing anything about it, is that the rattle snakes are timber rattlers that are native to PA. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/20 12:18 a.m.

Also, important to remember that bird law in this country is not governed by reason. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/11/20 8:18 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

The actual borders of cities split into megaregions Apparently this is a practical split based on how people live and the influence these cities have into the areas around them vs. the actual boundaries.  For example, you might notice Helena influences south into Wyoming and east into North Dakota. 

That one is really cool.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/20 8:21 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I added this blue circle to the other "non Rhodic" population, except they replace latter-syllable Rs and Ls with W.

For Real? = For Rihw?

Picksburg  stillers....

Giant eagle (grocery store) is gian iggle.

Downtown is dahntahn.

Worst dialect ever...

11/11/20 8:44 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

For Real? = For Rihw?

Picksburg  stillers....

Giant eagle (grocery store) is gian iggle.

Downtown is dahntahn.

Worst dialect ever...

One of my favorites is this phrase:  Going downtown to Primanti's to get a sandwich.  In western PA, that would be Gawn dahntahn tuh Permannys to git a sannich n'at.

I was out there just a few months ago when I overheard a father to an unruly child say, "I'm going to pop you in the mouth" which came out as "I'm gonna pawp you in the math."

I know some of you are choral geeks like me.  Imagine my horror attempting to direct a choir in Rural western PA.  Latin with a Picksburgh accent is just blasphemy.

Of course now I live in central PA.  The word House in Picksburg is Hoss but in central PA it's Ha-eece.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

You peeps are just weird. No accent here. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
11/11/20 9:16 a.m.

Regarding kangaroo ownership in WV:

I used to race cars with a guy that had a decorating business.  Every fall he'd get a handful of SCCA buddies to help erect Christmas trees for the wealthy folks in town (Charleston, WV).  One particular job required us to venture way out in the central part of the state to decorate the ranch of a coal baron.  This guy had ostriches that peered in the windows and pecked at the garland we placed on each sill.  You could see zebras on the hillside and various types of cloven-hoofed deer that clearly were on the wrong continent.  He had aquariums that required a diver in scuba gear to clean and service.  When finished, he gave us a tour of his farm.  We held lion cubs and marveled at the his tales of fighting with the local city officials about having to install a fence to keep the prairie dogs in and his woes of obtaining tigers.  As we walked through a warehouse housing pens full of animals not created to live in the chilly, autumn WV climate.  We came upon an empty pen near the exit.  As he held the door for us, he casually commented, gesturing to the unoccupied cage and said, "I finally got a pair of kangaroos, but my mastiff got in the pen and ate them both.  Well, parts of them."  And then the tour continued.

And this was my first brush with the lifestyles of the dangerously wealthy.

johndej
johndej Dork
11/11/20 9:27 a.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/20 9:44 a.m.

11/11/20 9:57 a.m.
bobzilla said:

No accent?  Haaaa

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 10:06 a.m.
bobzilla said:

No accent?  Haaaa

We ain't never seent the accent. 

P3PPY
11/11/20 10:12 a.m.

Borrowed from another thread, very useful!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/11/20 11:33 a.m.

Yinz ain't goin' dahn ta see Donnie Iris dressed like 'at! laugh

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/11/20 11:52 a.m.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/11/20 11:54 a.m.

"Go East young man?"

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/11/20 12:02 p.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 12:24 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

So Hawaii, Cali and Most of Florida is a sausage fest. 

P3PPY
11/11/20 12:53 p.m.
STM317 said:

SHEEEEEEESHHH!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/20 8:59 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Borrowed from another thread, very useful!

Ha!

This reminds me of a discussion thread on another site, one with Maker's Mark and squirrels with large nuts as mascots.

Someone from Texas innocently asked about abandoned housing in Detroit why the city didn't just bulldoze the slab and let it sit until someone wanted to build a new house on it.

Most people in Michigan would be like, what's a "slab"?

Houses have to be built on foundations 6ft or so down to get below the frost line.

I lived in a house on a slab once.  (It was built in the 1860s as a horse stable.  It evolved into house-ness over the years)  The house had two furnaces and a fireplace and it was still damned cold in the winter.  No basement to insulate the first floor from the world.

BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter)
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) New Reader
12/4/20 3:51 p.m.

This says I'm in the yinz part but I hear more people say youns.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/4/20 4:03 p.m.
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) said:

My local grocery store serves alcohol and you can drink while you shop. 

South Carolina has that too.  Apparently, this place is awesome!

My local grocery store serves alchohol but you have to stay in the small cafe area.  A walking around beer while shopping would be great.

Also new map

I don't get it. Having a 200 pound wolf hybrid is perfectly legal in Texas, but having a 15 pound pet fox is against the law?? WTF???

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YKK3p4KpiASiedUJABm9OWTVCWh7CCWPeLFXkH9DzN6HMDo9aAgE59925iuF8K9X