1 2 3
Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/27/15 12:41 p.m.

That "left the dump raised" thing happens a lot more than seems reasonable to expect. How is it not easy to see in the side mirrors?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
2/27/15 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

By not looking in the side mirrors? I'm with you on that. You can even feel it when the dump is up. I blame a severe lack of brains.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/27/15 4:43 p.m.
Duke wrote: That "left the dump raised" thing happens *a lot* more than seems reasonable to expect. How is it not easy to see in the side mirrors?

I had no idea this was a thing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/15 5:31 p.m.
rcutclif wrote:
bearmtnmartin wrote: People have died doing the box in the air thing. I called a contractor literally in the nick of time once and when he phoned back to thank me he was crying. Mostly its not just funny on a highway at speed, its deadly. Not that I don't enjoy the hell out of this thread!
100% agreed. Not to mention if you survive it puts a damper on your career, and quite possibly dampens the career of the guy/gal who stuck their neck out for you and recommended that you be hired. I would recommend a giant light, buzzer, and possibly shock therapy for the driver when the dump is up and the truck is moving. I understand there are times that call for moving with the dump up, but its like a buzzer when in reverse.

Tie the buzzer to speed. Going over 15mph, the truck goes nuts. Below that, all is cool.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/27/15 5:54 p.m.

When I worked for the forklift dealer at least 3 or 4 times a year some idiot would flip one over by driving at the thing's top speed with a load raised then making a turn. We made a bit o' bank off those. The two worst I can recall: guy hit a concrete block wall at WOT. It bent the thing so bad that it teetered on two wheels. That guy got fired but he walked away. The other, two guys were on one of those big (like 15,000 pound capacity) jobs going across the yard at a local steel recycling plant, the carriage was raised maybe 5 feet. This raised the mast enough to hit a HUGE power line (I want to say it was something like 2,000 volts) which not only killed both of them instantly it set the forklift on fire almost instantly as well. Something like 90 gallons of hydraulic oil, transmission fluid and diesel fuel went up; the firemen were almost two hours putting it out so they could recover what was left of them.

Back to the funnay:

Errrr... now what does 'R' stand for, again? Oh, that's right: Race. So we won't use that right now.

Yes, that's a UPS truck. Should make the damn things waterproof, ya know?

Yes the plane won. I hope he ducked.

Gonna pick on FedEx for a moment:

Front door service:

Guess this is how the driver was gonna get close enough to ring the doorbell.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/15 6:50 p.m.

never driven a dump truck.. so I am not sure if the bed can raise on it's own or not..

One of the box trucks I used to drive had a weird way of locking the liftgate. It was all spring loaded and you needed to manually unlock it to use. Going down the Cross Bronx, I start hearing and feeling a weird noise.. so pulled over as soon as I could.. and yes, the gate was on the ground. Thankfully with no damage.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
2/28/15 9:01 a.m.

http://jalopnik.com/truck-driver-sees-terrifying-big-rig-crash-before-it-ha-1688442996

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/15 4:22 p.m.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D_25xSV_Gzg

I have a couple good ones I can't post anytime soon.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/28/15 7:57 p.m.
Mike wrote:
Jumper K. Balls wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote: Whoever designed this page not to open hyperlinks in a new tab should be relieved of duty.
That is an option you have set. Go to your dashboard, edit your profile and place a check next to "open board links in a new window"
Or just middle-click whenever the feeling moves you.

or they could, you know, set it as the default in the browser software like every other website figured out a decade ago when tabbed browsing became a thing that everyone had easy access to... and i have changed that setting a few times, but it always winds up back in the default mode for some reason..

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/15 8:05 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: And here's the complete story about the airplane that looks like it was run through a ginormous bread slicer. http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/VH-KBZ-ShreddedSeminole.htm

Something wrong with that story...
First of all, how is a scrawny looking guy going to hand prop a 540ci Saratoga.

Second - from on top of the wing?

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
2/28/15 9:00 p.m.

Climbed on the wing on his way down to the ground to the engine?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/28/15 9:38 p.m.

In reply to XLR99:

He could hand prop it. I worked for a guy that was about 5'10" and 160 pounds. I watched him hand prop a Continental GTSIO-520, on a Cessna 404 Titan, several times.

I too find it unlikely that he was on the wing of the Saratoga.

Cessna 404

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/1/15 12:21 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: When I worked for the forklift dealer at least 3 or 4 times a year some idiot would flip one over by driving at the thing's top speed with a load raised then making a turn. We made a bit o' bank off those. The two worst I can recall: guy hit a concrete block wall at WOT. It bent the thing so bad that it teetered on two wheels. That guy got fired but he walked away. The other, two guys were on one of those big (like 15,000 pound capacity) jobs going across the yard at a local steel recycling plant, the carriage was raised maybe 5 feet. This raised the mast enough to hit a HUGE power line (I want to say it was something like 2,000 volts) which not only killed both of them instantly it set the forklift on fire almost instantly as well. Something like 90 gallons of hydraulic oil, transmission fluid and diesel fuel went up; the firemen were almost two hours putting it out so they could recover what was left of them.

i wish i had seen it, but a guy at one of my previous jobs ran one of those big forklifts head on at WFO into a light pole in the parking lot... he was going out to start cars for people about 15 minutes before the end of the shift because it was winter and it was about -10 degrees or so, and apparently he didn't see the 100 foot tall steel light pole on top of the 6 foot tall, 3 foot in diameter concrete base... the forks were about 2 feet off the ground when he hit, and it bent the mast so bad that the forks wouldn't move at all... fortunately, he wasn't wearing his seat belt so he bounced around the cab pretty good and had some cool bruises to show for it..

he was fired immediately, and i recall that it was something like $30k in damages to a fork that was less than a month old.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/2/15 3:04 p.m.

What about the cranes falling over when trying to pick up stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPoUpUYOYw

Or tow truck fails?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBxSntGGm8U

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/3/15 7:17 a.m.
Wally wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D_25xSV_Gzg I have a couple good ones I can't post anytime soon.

The replays with music are great.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/3/15 8:05 a.m.

You'll waste loads of valuable time at this place http://www.oopslist.com/

Type Q
Type Q Dork
3/3/15 10:05 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Duke: By not looking in the side mirrors? I'm with you on that. You can even feel it when the dump is up. I blame a severe lack of brains.

Drugs and/or exhaustion do a really good of turning off intelligence normally available. I wonder how big a part they in the stuff posted in this thread.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/3/15 10:27 a.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gfOCoo5sqNVNsv1j61jSHNLN0J8yuClW692BnaERCCVykkoohC09I4QdYD6M6vzV