trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/6/23 1:18 p.m.

I found a kart and parts in Canada that I want to purchase. I first checked the rates on Shiply and Uship, they are asking a ridiculous amount ($2000-4000) so I am considering picking it all up. It's a complete kart, additional chassis, extra engine, and parts. One of the shippers suggested declaring them as parts, which is okay because it currently needs work to run. However shipper was saying that the engine needs a EPA sticker, so I am checking with the manufacturer to see what they have however the kart and engine is sold in the US, I have never heard of kart engines go through EPA other then the Briggs which is multi use engine. I would be going through the buffalo border if that matters. Unfortunately the seller isn't willing to bring it over as a friend/teammate to avoid this ridiculousness. Any advice would appreciated.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/23 2:05 p.m.

I can't speak to the EPA part necessarily, but as it was explained to me....

Any car parts aren't an issue.  You can buy a 1965 Pontiac engine with no emissions components and bring it back because it's not a road-worthy vehicle.  They have no way of knowing if you're going to put it in a completely exempt 46  Chieftan or a 2009 Miata.  It's a car part.  Of course, you may be subject to tariffs, but as long as you have a receipt, you're only subject to paying taxes on anything over the import limit (which I never knew because I'm never anywhere close to it.)  They ask you at the border something like "did you purchase any items that you're bringing back that amount ot a combined total of $XX?"

The issue comes with titled vehicles.  If you buy a CDN car, you have to have the title declared and some paperwork to go with it in order to title it here.  That's where you get into the big EPA stuff.  90% of the time it's a non issue because auto makers don't do separate emissions profiles for CDN and US.

But just before the pandemic, I bought an old ATV in Ontario for $250.  I loaded it in the back of the van.  At the US border they asked me about it, I showed them a receipt, and they just waved me along.  They were more interested in the case of gallons of maple syrup I had bought for friends.  That's not to say that's how the rules work, that is just an example of one border agent that didn't seem to care.

I would think a Kart is clearly not a road/titled vehicle, so it squarely falls into the parts/race-car category.

3/6/23 2:07 p.m.
3/6/23 2:12 p.m.

You can also call the border and ask.

I will say this once.  If you call, do not volunteer extra information.  Do not lie.  It is frightening how much they know, and I'm not a conspiracy kind of person.  I called once in June to ask for a clarification on how much liquor/alcohol I could take across.  I crossed in July.  As soon as he swiped my passport, he had ALL KINDS of questions about how much alcohol I had, and I was searched.  Fortunately I wasn't packing more than the limit.  He saw what I had bought at duty free (one case) but wasn't convinced.  I was "randomly" searched for the next four times I crossed going north.  Last time I went they didn't search, so I must have been a good boy enough times that the flag is removed.

They're really no joke at the Canadian border these days.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/6/23 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

What did the receipt look like? I am likely going to use paypal so maybe I can have the seller put together a invoice through Paypal and provide that, to the border. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/1/23 9:34 a.m.

Well I was able to import everything, explained to them :I was a hobbist and they were parts and they waived me through.

5/1/23 1:42 p.m.

Great.  Glad to hear it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v1k6PsHnLfMe3NWnvSUPnxj6BLtsO5aDo54D5PZG19Bv2lQMtGoZYk8rXeSS7psT