1 2
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/10 11:26 a.m.

Wow!

Check out the videos posted in the thread. Claimed 420hp on race gas!

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/400737.aspx

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/11/10 11:31 a.m.

Holy crap.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/11/10 11:32 a.m.

Can the AWD setup even realistically handle that kind of power? I wouldn't have thought it was that robust. I was kindof surprised that the Wagon Attack car held together as well as it did, and i'd be surprised if it made much more than half that power.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
2/11/10 11:34 a.m.

I posted this car in the "lust after" thread and I've seen it run... it's so beastly it's comical. Sitting still it's a sleeper... but once running, the sound of the turbo gives it away... of course, few would expect any FWD car to be able to get off the line like this one can.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/10 11:34 a.m.

Yup, there's my dream car right there.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/11/10 11:36 a.m.

what part of the CRV drivetrain is the weakest link? (i didnt go into the link to see whats under there, Im just guessing its a CRV)

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/10 11:36 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Can the AWD setup even realistically handle that kind of power? I wouldn't have thought it was that robust. I was kindof surprised that the Wagon Attack car held together as well as it did, and i'd be surprised if it made much more than half that power.

No idea, but it sure looks like fun!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/11/10 11:37 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: what part of the CRV drivetrain is the weakest link? (i didnt go into the link to see whats under there, Im just guessing its a CRV)

It's a realtime Wagon drivetrain... so i guess a 4wd Wagovan? Which is that much scarier. I could ALMOST see CRV running gear under there, there's a local guy with a built n/a GSR in a CRV and that seems to be holding up just fine. (Slammed CRV = hilarious)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/11/10 12:07 p.m.

could you stuff the CRV running bits under a CRX/3 door?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/11/10 12:17 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: could you stuff the CRV running bits under a CRX/3 door?

I'm not real positive. I'd find it more likely to fit under an EK, though.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
2/11/10 1:34 p.m.

A local guy is building one with a 4G63. He used a DSM rear subframe and CRV spindles up front, or knuckles or whatever they are. He's waiting on custom front axles.

alex
alex Dork
2/11/10 2:42 p.m.

OMGWANT.

Ian, have you looked this thing over? It looks like a pretty clean build.

But I wonder how many more of those 5k+ RPM launches the drivetrain (hell, the clutch!) can handle. And seriously, how long could the Realtime drivetrain handle 320hp, let alone 420hp with drag launches?

Opus
Opus Dork
2/11/10 10:34 p.m.

that would never pass smog in CA would love to have it here.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
2/11/10 10:42 p.m.
alex wrote: OMGWANT. Ian, have you looked this thing over? It looks like a pretty clean build. But I wonder how many more of those 5k+ RPM launches the drivetrain (hell, the clutch!) can handle. And seriously, how long could the Realtime drivetrain handle 320hp, let alone 420hp with drag launches?

I'd worry about axles.

That is, I'd be happy to worry about axles if it were mine. For now, I'll just lust after it.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
2/12/10 7:46 a.m.

I didn't get to look it over that closely, but from what I gather it's well built. He brought it to the Winter auto-x last month and it was 20 degrees and windy. The car has some sort of launch control system that I think limits the power from a dead stop. It was also cold, he wasn't running r-comps either and the lot conditions limited traction. That said, it still got off the line faster than anything else and posted FTD (although the XP PAX put it down the list a bit).

The emissions is a concern to me as well... although living in PA (as he does as well), there are... ways around such technicalities...

All things considered, I look at it and wonder if something similar (albeit not as well finished/streetable) could be built under challenge rules...

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
2/12/10 8:18 a.m.

Axles are the least of his concerns. The transfer case likes to separate from the transmission under high stress like this car sees. The real question is how many Realtime transmissions have been destroyed?

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/12/10 9:06 a.m.

Check out the Philly Region SCCA forums. I do believe that car could be yours for under $10k.

alex
alex Dork
2/12/10 9:24 a.m.

Duke, that's precisely why I'm asking these questions. Granted, I'm mainly dreaming, but what a sweet dream it is.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/12/10 9:35 a.m.
sobe_death wrote: Axles are the least of his concerns. The transfer case likes to separate from the transmission under high stress like this car sees. The real question is how many Realtime transmissions have been destroyed?

Yeah, that's what i was thinking... Bummer.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/12/10 10:28 a.m.
Ian F wrote: All things considered, I look at it and wonder if something similar (albeit not as well finished/streetable) could be built under challenge rules...

Exactly what went through my head. Trying to think who ones a CRV I can crawl under.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/12/10 12:55 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote:
Ian F wrote: All things considered, I look at it and wonder if something similar (albeit not as well finished/streetable) could be built under challenge rules...
Exactly what went through my head. Trying to think who ones a CRV I can crawl under.

Better yet... just bring a CRV. Add boost.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
2/12/10 4:37 p.m.

the civic wagon boards are all under the assumption that the CRV stuff is more fragile than the wagon stuff.

cxhb
cxhb Reader
2/12/10 5:57 p.m.

If i remember correctly the D-series honda transmissions are actually stronger than B-series stuff. Though with the realtime AWD stuff i dont know... I had a friend who owned a wagovan for a couple years and he abused it to death. But the transmission never let go. And it was all stock.

Early CRV (first generation) would be a neat fit under EK civics as they are actually modeled after them I believe.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/13/10 12:21 a.m.

will read about this later--sounds obscene

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
2/13/10 8:46 a.m.

Haha I used to autocross with that guy. He's a good guy and anything he says is almost assuredly true, just in case anyone wants to buy from him. That car is indeed disgusting.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yyDEbxfhyLtMFhW9HV4gIMhFmCLS9J0NZS50tB5ai5DBrR4BJ7XjdnVg4oaGDMeh