1 2 3 4 5
Anti-stance
Anti-stance HalfDork
5/27/12 5:36 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
grafmiata wrote:
fasted58 wrote: In reply to grafmiata: they just said a tribute to Dan
Ahh... Makes sense. Watched the race with the volume off.
With Danica finally gone the commentary was tolerable; at least until they had all the gratuitous Ashley-crap at the end.

Another reason I didn't want Franchitti to win.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
5/27/12 7:01 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
oldsaw wrote:
grafmiata wrote:
fasted58 wrote: In reply to grafmiata: they just said a tribute to Dan
Ahh... Makes sense. Watched the race with the volume off.
With Danica finally gone the commentary was tolerable; at least until they had all the gratuitous Ashley-crap at the end.
Another reason I didn't want Franchitti to win.

You and me both, you and me both.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
5/27/12 7:46 p.m.

Yeah. The part where she talked about what an influence Sir Jackie Stewart was on her husband... We don't need to hear that at an auto race.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
5/27/12 7:52 p.m.

Dario? Try winning without needing a yellow flag.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/27/12 8:05 p.m.

Umm - what's wrong with acknowleging Sir Jackie? Dario drove for Jackie and Paul Stewart in lower formulae before coming to America, and was directly mentored by Sir Jackie when he was coming up through the ranks. So that is actually a true thanks. And the Jim Clark comment is also appropriate, as Dario just about worships Jimmy and has a tribute room to him in his house. And Dario's comments about Dan were obviously from the heart.

Infinitely better officiating with Beaux Barfield - a real 11 rows of 3 start, and good, racing re-starts all day long. Next year Barfield hopes to bring back real double file restarts. And no assignment of penalites every time someone has a little contact - nice to see control by a real racer who lets drivers race.

Sato/Dario: come on, this was two racers going for the win in the Indy 500 on the last lap. Just a racing incident. Sato tried (good for him), Dario didn't just pull over and let him by (good for him), Sato lost it due to impatience - would most likely have gotten by on the back straight. An excellent racing finish to a hard-fought race. Two thumbs up from me.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
5/27/12 8:13 p.m.

I don't watch Indy at all, but I did watch the 500 this year. I've got a question for those of you who do watch it. Is Marco Andretti any good? Like, does he win regularly? Because I've never heard anybody whine and throw a hissy fit like he seemed to. If he wins regularly, then I can understand bring upset, but I was bummed by his attitude.

-Rob

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/27/12 8:20 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: I don't watch Indy at all, but I did watch the 500 this year. I've got a question for those of you who do watch it. Is Marco Andretti any good? Like, does he win regularly? Because I've never heard anybody whine and throw a hissy fit like he seemed to. If he wins regularly, then I can understand bring upset, but I was bummed by his attitude. -Rob

No, not really. Of the many years he has run, he has all of 2 wins. Sometimes he runs fast, but he's pretty much on par with Danica in terms of results most of the time.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/27/12 8:38 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: I don't watch Indy at all, but I did watch the 500 this year. I've got a question for those of you who do watch it. Is Marco Andretti any good? Like, does he win regularly? Because I've never heard anybody whine and throw a hissy fit like he seemed to. If he wins regularly, then I can understand bring upset, but I was bummed by his attitude. -Rob

Eh, he's better than I am..but who isn't? IMO, the real "family legacy" racer is Graham Rahal (Bobby's son). He doesn't have many wins either, but usually outruns Marco.

And from what little I remember of his radio traffic, he's more "..still not much grip at the rear, guys.." than he is "..OHMAHGAWD, I'M DRIVING ON CORDS!!!!"

Will
Will Dork
5/27/12 8:51 p.m.

I guess I was one of the few happy to see Dario win. He just strikes me as a genuinely nice guy who loves to race. And I guess I just don't care if they interview Ashley, or what she says.

Besides, Dario Franchitti is the most perfect race car driver name ever. His parents must have known he was destined for this.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance HalfDork
5/27/12 9:26 p.m.

I know Dario can drive and I am most certain I would enjoy hanging out with the guy but I am just tired of seeing Ganassi cars win so often in just about every major series. I like seeing under dogs win. I would have been happy to see Sato win but its no surprise he picked a stupid place to try and pass. The gain would have been better coming out of turn 2 or 4 not 1. It was just a dumb mistake I think, but he is known for making bad decisions. I think even if he had passed him successfully at 1 or even 2, Dario would have made a move coming out of 4 to take it back.

And Graham Rahal doesn't have the silver spoon stuck up his ass like Marco Andretti. That whining over the radio today is no surprise. I hope Mario chokes the little E36 M3 tonight.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
5/27/12 9:44 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: I know Dario can drive and I am most certain I would enjoy hanging out with the guy but I am just tired of seeing Ganassi cars win so often in just about every major series. I like seeing under dogs win. I would have been happy to see Sato win but its no surprise he picked a stupid place to try and pass. The gain would have been better coming out of turn 2 or 4 not 1. It was just a dumb mistake I think, but he is known for making bad decisions. I think even if he had passed him successfully at 1 or even 2, Dario would have made a move coming out of 4 to take it back. And Graham Rahal doesn't have the silver spoon stuck up his ass like Marco Andretti. That whining over the radio today is no surprise. I hope Mario chokes the little E36 M3 tonight.

I agree with everything you just posted. I don't hate Dario either. I just didn't care for the gloating by Ashley Judd and it really was gloating.

I couldn't believe how much bitching Marco was doing. Man, he is a whiner.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
5/27/12 9:47 p.m.

I was hopin' TK coulda bagged his first Indy, wasn't meant to be.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/27/12 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

Teams come & go. I try to just enjoy the drivers' talent, regardless of what particular mercenary behavior they committed to get into a seat. Seems like running up front in professional racing these days requires as much of that kind of stuff as it does having a dose of talent.

And agreed about Sato..too aggressive, much too early. IMO, he had the car..and just pissed away any chance. Oh, well...saved me $50 or more--SWMBO noticed that he was Japanese, and I said that I'd take us out for sushi dinner if Sato won.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
5/28/12 1:33 a.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill: i was poking fun at a few people. Ashley Judd is genuine in her love of racing. Has been since before she met Dario. But don't tell that to her haters...

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
5/28/12 9:39 a.m.

In Marco's defense. His "pit boss" made some bad decisions, Cost him a lot of positions. His father Mike admitted to that later.

The Ganassi cars aren't doing too well in NASCAR. At least he flew in to see.

jde
jde Reader
5/28/12 10:57 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Yeah. The part where she talked about what an influence Sir Jackie Stewart was on her husband... We don't need to hear that at an auto race.

Dario drove for Paul Stewart Racing in F3, et. al. before coming to the States, so it at least has merit. Pretty sure Zombie Jim Clark wasn't concerned one way or the other, though.

Still would be nice if she'd keep her yap shut, and quit trying so hard.

jde
jde Reader
5/28/12 10:59 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I couldn't believe how much bitching Marco was doing. Man, he is a whiner.

Apparently a graduate of the Kurt Busch School of Radio Broadcasting...

racerfink
racerfink Dork
5/28/12 3:51 p.m.

I watched Marco's in-car footage on ESPN3 over my XBox 360... What a whiny little biatch. F-this, F-that in almost every sentence.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/28/12 5:10 p.m.

Marco is a whiner.

Dario is both talented and lucky.

Ashley is gorgeous.

Sato is a bonehead.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/28/12 5:11 p.m.
iceracer wrote: In Marco's defense. His "pit boss" made some bad decisions, Cost him a lot of positions.

Cost him a lot fewer positions than a spin into the wall did. Marco lost because of Marco. He'll place blame wherever he can find a scapegoat, but it falls on his shoulders.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/28/12 5:13 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: IMO, the real "family legacy" racer is Graham Rahal.

Youngest winner in series history. Youngest pole position in series history.

He has had some bad luck lately, but I suspect he will do well. He's still only 23.

What Graham did for Dan's family after the accident says infinitely more about his position over Marco than anything he has ever done on track. Classy guy!

(Besides, I got to drive his Porsche )

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
5/28/12 5:18 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
iceracer wrote: In Marco's defense. His "pit boss" made some bad decisions, Cost him a lot of positions.
Cost him a lot fewer positions than a spin into the wall did. Marco lost because of Marco. He'll place blame wherever he can find a scapegoat, but it falls on his shoulders.

In his defense, he wasn't in the position he was if it hadn't been for the pit calls.

jde
jde Reader
5/28/12 5:37 p.m.

Apologies for missing Jim's post earlier. I'll take a stop & go for it.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
5/28/12 5:43 p.m.
jde wrote: Apologies for missing Jim's post earlier. I'll take a stop & go for it.

Or that I was making fun of people that didn't realize Ashley Judd knows more about racing than they do.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/28/12 5:52 p.m.
iceracer wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
In his defense, he wasn't in the position he was if it hadn't been for the pit calls.

What was it they say about smoke and fire, again?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eds1z9QqXagkKcf2p2LolZddr1BDhr5IbyoyIwozkqNssRLC4QPQRsL9BG4fL8A8