Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/6/13 12:31 p.m.

The Baroness will be flying out here to visit for Christmas. That is her big present because the tickets weren't cheap (she waited until 3 weeks out to decide when she wanted to visit). I still want to get her something for Christmas so that we have some sort of presents to exchange. Trying to come up with some ideas. Would need to be something appropriate to pack on an airplane. Kinda thinking some music or maybe a winter hat or something.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
12/6/13 12:40 p.m.

From the Joke of the Day thread.

Grtechguy wrote: Found the perfect stocking stuffer.. wrap some batteries and label them "toys not included".. lol
Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
12/6/13 12:55 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: The Baroness will be flying out here to visit for Christmas. That is her big present because the tickets weren't cheap (she waited until 3 weeks out to decide when she wanted to visit). I still want to get her something for Christmas so that we have some sort of presents to exchange. Trying to come up with some ideas. Would need to be something appropriate to pack on an airplane. Kinda thinking some music or maybe a winter hat or something. Thoughts? Suggestions?

A magic 8 ball, so she can make decisions faster.

Other than that uncommongoods.com always has some interesting stuff. If you find something she'd love that is a little large for the plane you could ship it to her once she returns.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/6/13 12:58 p.m.
Cotton wrote: A magic 8 ball, so she can make decisions faster.

Don't I wish.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
12/6/13 1:01 p.m.

I'll tell you, for some reason nice scarfs are always a big hit. I don't get it, but hey whatever works. Also, if she like designer purses you could get her a matching keychain or wallet.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/6/13 1:03 p.m.

Beer!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/6/13 1:44 p.m.
Cotton wrote: I'll tell you, for some reason nice scarfs are always a big hit. I don't get it, but hey whatever works. Also, if she like designer purses you could get her a matching keychain or wallet.

Not a designer label type of person. More a earthy "cool thing from REI" type person.

I like the scarf idea!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/6/13 1:44 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Beer!

Well... that's a given and happens constantly no matter what.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/6/13 1:47 p.m.

A box, with your _____ in it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/6/13 1:49 p.m.
PHeller wrote: A box, with your _____ in it.

Damnit. I was going to say that!

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/6/13 1:51 p.m.

Earrings. Concert tickets. Books. Magazine subscription(s). Gift certificate to a spa/massage. Candy. Flowers.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/6/13 2:01 p.m.
mtn wrote: Earrings. Concert tickets. Books. Magazine subscription(s). Gift certificate to a spa/massage. Candy. Flowers.

Her ears aren't pierced. Aside from the magazines, those are all things that wouldn't be useful when she goes back to CA.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
12/6/13 4:14 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Not a designer label type of person. More a earthy "cool thing from REI" type person.

How about a nice romantic poop scoop from REI.

"Follow proper Leave No Trace™ principles by using the GSI Cathole sanitation trowel on your backpacking trips."

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/6/13 4:18 p.m.

No idea. The wife and I don't even exchange gifts anymore and haven't for a few years.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/13 4:46 p.m.

Anything regionally appropriate to make her impending move more festive?

Scarf actually seems to fit the CA->Midwest move and season...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/6/13 4:55 p.m.
ransom wrote: Anything regionally appropriate to make her impending move more festive? Scarf actually seems to fit the CA->Midwest move and season...

That's why I'm thinking scarf and/or hat.

spriteracer
spriteracer Reader
12/6/13 7:02 p.m.

uncommongoods.com: Wow! My cart is up to $240.00 with 12 items after 22 pages of shopping and I'm not done yet. I'm going to finish all of my shopping tonight in one place.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/6/13 7:46 p.m.

Gift Card?

Lube her up with wine, do some Wesson oil twister; she goes home with a smile and memories.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/6/13 7:55 p.m.

Seriously, what does she like?

Coffee, tea? Tea of the month.

Music? Get her an account with somebody's downloadable tunes company.

For under the tree, a nice piece of silver?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/6/13 7:57 p.m.

Ms. Service has been on a coffee mug kick so we got creative with them this year. She got the "I can fit a whole pot of coffee in this one" mug and the hand glazed decorative 14 oz Flor Delis mug.

They were $3 a piece and she loved them

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/6/13 8:22 p.m.

Here is a serious answer. One of the best gift I ever got was a pair of flannel lined pants. These are popular from LL Bean, Lands End. I have not shopped woman's but for men they can surely be gotten at Cabela's, Gander Mt and the sort. I even bought a pair once at Kohl's
My wife too has a couple of pair.

I would have never bought these for myself. I now own multiple pair. On those winter days where the temps get into the teens, they are a godsend. Like a warm hug, all day long! In those cold weeks, they really are the only thing I wear. Wash one pair while wear the other.
I have a pair that look like standard Olive khakis and others like carpenter's pants. They come in denim, jeans also. These are not so bulky that they make you feel like a blimp (they actually have no different outside appearance.) They are also not so warm that they can not be warn indoors. To me, they are like magic.

I like the ones that have just a thin cotton flannel lining. They also sell polar fleece lined versions but I have not bought those.

Another tip: My wife likes ordering from Lands End because now that they are owned by Sears, you can just walk into the store and return items that don't fit. They dont have replacements at the store but you do not have to deal with return shipping.

Mens sample
More

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
II6I7IcvIYAJl55sKhUOz3Jsd741dujHDVeANGulR8CloOFsYvYOhm6FdSwYlH7Z