Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/19 3:59 p.m.

Cold brew at home then heat it up at work

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/3/19 4:09 p.m.
mtn said:

Honestly Curtis, I think your best bet is a coffee pot at home. Brew your coffee, throw it into a big thermos, bring it to work. At night take the 2 minutes it takes to throw out the old grounds (compost!) and set the timer to brew again tomorrow. This will probably be your most cost effective and overall convenient method if brewing a pot at work doesn't work. 

Hell, yeah!  This is what the union guys did at the plant where I worked summers back in college.  Lotsa coffee got consumed during the midnight to 8am shift.  Green Aladdin Stanley thermos.  With a handle.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/3/19 4:24 p.m.

I've never had instant coffee worth drinking.

I'm stuck with K cups now.  I get by with buying Cafe Bustelo extra dark roast pods.  It does the job and actually tastes like coffee.

Previously I had a 4-cup drip pot and a grinder in my cabinet at work.  I used to make extra-strong 1-2 cup short pots a couple times a day.  It's easier than the self-fill K cups and you're not constantly getting looted for the rest of the pot every time you want a cup.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/19 7:41 p.m.

I've never had instant coffee worth drinking either, but if you think that stuff is bad, you need try try the E36 M3 water that comes out of the vending machine at work. It's like the cheapest instant coffee you can imagine, but made in a machine that probably has been in service without being cleaned since before I was born. It has a...unique...flavor.

That Aeropress sounds like the winner so far.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/19 7:58 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh 

I also suggest the AeroPress, instant coffe just sucks

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
12/3/19 10:26 p.m.

The aeropress makes great coffee, but I wouldn't try making that in one of the coffee/microwave areas near my cubicle.  The best instant I have had is Starbucks Via and it's better than gas station or McDonalds coffee.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
12/4/19 9:14 a.m.

Just throwing this out there, but the South Koreans drink a *ton* of instant coffee. They come in individual pouches that nicely dissolve in hot water. They usually have cream and sugar already added, but there's a place you can "pinch" while pouring for less sugar on the pouch.

I personally endorse Maxim Mocha Gold (it's just cream and sugar, not actually chocolate): https://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Mocha-Gold-Mild-Coffee/dp/B003VD5SNC

I also endorse any Korean version of Nescafe.

Only caveat: they drink smaller cups of coffee. You need two pouches for an American quantity of liquid, maybe even three.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/4/19 9:27 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
mtn said:

Honestly Curtis, I think your best bet is a coffee pot at home. Brew your coffee, throw it into a big thermos, bring it to work. At night take the 2 minutes it takes to throw out the old grounds (compost!) and set the timer to brew again tomorrow. This will probably be your most cost effective and overall convenient method if brewing a pot at work doesn't work. 

Hell, yeah!  This is what the union guys did at the plant where I worked summers back in college.  Lotsa coffee got consumed during the midnight to 8am shift.  Green Aladdin Stanley thermos.  With a handle.

I do that.  That works for the first couple hours of the day.  That 3 o'clock craving though.

Curtis
12/4/19 9:28 a.m.
Duke said:

I've never had instant coffee worth drinking.

I'm stuck with K cups now.  I get by with buying Cafe Bustelo extra dark roast pods.  It does the job and actually tastes like coffee.

Previously I had a 4-cup drip pot and a grinder in my cabinet at work.  I used to make extra-strong 1-2 cup short pots a couple times a day.  It's easier than the self-fill K cups and you're not constantly getting looted for the rest of the pot every time you want a cup.

I've had some of your coffee/paint thinner.  You're my kind of coffee drinker.

Curtis
12/4/19 9:29 a.m.
Kylini said:

Just throwing this out there, but the South Koreans drink a *ton* of instant coffee. They come in individual pouches that nicely dissolve in hot water. They usually have cream and sugar already added, but there's a place you can "pinch" while pouring for less sugar on the pouch.

I personally endorse Maxim Mocha Gold (it's just cream and sugar, not actually chocolate): https://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Mocha-Gold-Mild-Coffee/dp/B003VD5SNC

Only caveat: they drink smaller cups of coffee. You need two pouches for an American quantity of liquid, maybe even three.

oooo... Korean coffee.  I'll search Amazon.

Curtis
12/4/19 9:31 a.m.
Furious_E said:

I've never had instant coffee worth drinking either, but if you think that stuff is bad, you need try try the E36 M3 water that comes out of the vending machine at work. It's like the cheapest instant coffee you can imagine, but made in a machine that probably has been in service without being cleaned since before I was born. It has a...unique...flavor.

That Aeropress sounds like the winner so far

This reminded me of a story.  Back in the day I used to work for churches as a musician.  I was trying to decide between two jobs.  Both churches had great acoustics, great people, same pay, same driving distance.... but one had awful coffee.  I actually chose the job because of better coffee. 

The minister asked me why I didn't take his job offer.  I couldn't lie to a preacher.  He laughed uncontrollably.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/4/19 9:33 a.m.
Curtis said:
1988RedT2 said:
mtn said:

I do that.  That works for the first couple hours of the day.  That 3 o'clock craving though.

Bring 2!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/4/19 9:34 a.m.
alfadriver said:
John Welsh said:

If you like strong and have a hot water tap, I think the answer will be French Press or AeroPress

+1. And the AeroPress is easy to clean. 

+10000

French Press by Stanley is stainless and plastic for camping which means i can put grounds in it, cap it and throw it in the car for wherever I end up and want a great cup

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/4/19 1:31 p.m.
Curtis said:
shagles said:

In reply to Curtis :

Couldn't you just get a small french press and keep it at your desk? So you use it, clean it, put it away, and your coworkers never get the chance to leave grounds in it? That's what I do with my little pour over at work.

Yes, but until I walk to the kitchen across the complex, clean it, make it, take it back and clean it again....

Some days I want zero cups at work.  Some days I want 10.  Every day I'm stoopid busy for 12 hours.  There have been days when I made a pot of coffee and forgot I made it.  Other days I start making a pot and get called away and forget.  At least the Keurig is quick, but wasted plastics or a mess to clean up.  I'm talking about the need for beyond simple.  French press is three steps and a waiting period.  It needs to be pretty much as simple as grabbing a coke from the fridge.

Suffice it to say that we are a staff of 5 operating two large theaters.  The number of hats we wear is comical.  The squirrels we see are highly distracting.

Unless you get a hotplate and a french press what you want may not exist.  Can you afford to hire a personal barista to hang out until you're ready?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/4/19 6:08 p.m.

Just do cocaine instead, quicker, longer lasting, no cleanup 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/4/19 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Have you tried the Starbucks Via yet?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/19 8:56 p.m.

I have a French press and an Aeropress at the house. Along with the whole beans, the fancy kettle that heats the water to that precise temp, and a burr grinder. Some mornings I just prefer the simplicity of instant. The Jacobs makes a pretty decent cup of coffee. 

Aeropress or French press take 10 minutes. Jacobs takes 3 including heating the water.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/20 5:34 a.m.

I have a Nespresso Vertuo machine in my office and at home.  I like the ease of the pods and you can get various strengths and flavors.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
8/18/20 9:25 a.m.

+1 for VIA, they are excellent for camping or on the go coffee as they come in individual packets.  At the campsite just boil water and add VIA, way less fuss.

Costco is the best place for buying in bulk, but walmart has them for the same cost per pack:

https://www.costco.com/starbucks-via-instant-colombia-coffee%2C-medium-roast%2C-13-count%2C-2-pack.product.100377118.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Starbucks-VIA-Instant-Coffee-Medium-Roast-Packets-Colombia-1-box-8-packets/16676949

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/19/20 4:21 p.m.
Kylini said:

I have been using lavazza for last 3 years, but per your recommendation got the mocha gold 

it just arrived. Hopefully it will be as good as the coffee I have in Tokyo ! 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/20/20 11:05 p.m.

I started making my own coffee lately and use Lavazza. I've had someone recommend Bustelo as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhmdAk2T6UufattvFPOzpdUuNRAqNLw3FYVTeEdDbALAPfjgxJq2wa59EdJzZAhG