fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/25/17 11:38 p.m.

Received a postcard notice that my house and property will be surveyed in the next 30 days by an inspection bureau contracted by my homeowner insurance company. As stated, some inspections are outside only but they may call to schedule an inside inspection or unannounced and if there is an adult present they'd ask to do an interior inspection. A phone survey was also an option but there's no designation for that.

What the berkeley is their purpose, whatta they want? I have no idea how to react to this or what they are even looking for. House exterior is looking okay but the interior needs a lot of cleaning up. I'm not a hoarder type of TV fame but it is pretty cluttered and needs a good clean. Car parts in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, basement and spare rooms. I've been reluctant to have 'normal' people over because of this but I have been working on cleaning up but progress has been slow. Gonna need a dumpster.

I could keep the doors locked and play dead for a cold call and hope they go away. If they should call to schedule an inside inspection can I refuse admittance?

Where should I focus, what else should I prepare for? How could I get dinged?

Hope they don't wanna see inside the garage.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/26/17 5:25 a.m.

Hmm... that's odd. Sounds like a tax assessor.

I can't think of any reason an insurance company would need that, other than to adjust their actuarial tables (i.e.: raise your rates).

I also can't thInk why they would have a right to.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/17 5:53 a.m.

That happened to me a couple of years ago. They guy came walked all over the outside, then the inside and looked into my attic to check the roof tie downs. My rates almost doubled after that. The company was Citizens Insurance.

I got a new policy with a different company shortly thereafter.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/26/17 6:27 a.m.

Maybe, proactively shop for another insurance company

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/26/17 7:46 a.m.

The company that I work for does an interior and exterior inspection shortly after you first sign up then every few years. They do have the right to (at least in FL) and if you refuse your policy may be cancelled. I am not insured through the company that employees me however the one I am insured through did the same type of inspection.

The purpose is to put eyes on what they are insuring. From there they decide whether they want to insure you and adjust your rates/deductibles accordingly.

I have to review these reports when I receive a claim. For example one of my most common claims is roof damage often brought about roofers going door to door in neighborhoods where the roof are getting on 20 years old. The underwriting inspection may show the same missing shingles that are now being claimed as damaged. Same thing with the sink base cabinet on the interior.

I'd suggest tidying up the best you can (sounds like something you've been meaning to do) and go with it. They may just do an exterior while your at work especially if it's not scheduled. Ours are scheduled so they do both.

If you change carriers be aware that the new company may want to do the same thing. This may vary state to state and company to company.

Source: Homeowners insurance field adjuster in FL.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/17 8:01 a.m.

They did one on our new place in MS after we bought it too. It was the first time I'd ever heard of such thing, and the inspector showed up unannounced, so I called our agent to confirm everything before I let him in. It was just a quick exterior walk-around, and he checked the furnace/AC/water heater inside. Probably took 20-minutes total.

We changed carriers after the first year, however there was no new inspection required. FWIW

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/26/17 4:22 p.m.

I've had auto insurance w/ this company since '81 so homeowners insurance was a no-brainer when I bought this house in '96. The agent did a walk around outside and walk through inside and that was it, nothing since. It was a lot cleaner then and less cluttered. The last five years I kinda let stuff go, was working too much. I can get it fairly cleaned up and sorted w/ enough time.

I spose they'll check electrical, plumbing and furnace. They should be OK. Hope I don't get dinged for clutter and housekeeping or engine tins in the BR and 4.3 on engine stand in the basement.

Another concern is the garage. I'm supposed to be parking in there but summer use is a shop. What could they say about shop equipment or welding? Hard to hide a Bridgeport or a Synchrowave the size of a refrigerator. O/A outfit, paint, chemicals etc.

My old agent woulda been cool w/ the garage since he was a truck guy but he's long since passed. Contracted inspectors, I dunno.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/26/17 6:43 p.m.

Usually I see notes regarding "excessive contents" but ad long as it's not wide spread I wouldn't be too worried. I doubt they care about a welder or machine equipment.

If it looks like a business is being run from the place they might have concerns but moreso regarding liability if customers visiting (or a daycare for example).

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
8/26/17 7:01 p.m.

Take care of debris & clutter in the yard, underwriters HATE to see E36 M3 all over the place. If they have issues with your home, they will "recommend" you take care of them & if not handled will set up a non-renewal of your policy due to underwriting "hazards". Some things on the list may be negotiable to an extent, if you show cooperation.

Unpainted wood, peeling paint, broken or uneven sidewalks, foundation damage, curling or lifting shingles, missing gutters, more than 3 steps with no handrail, undisclosed solid-fuel appliances (wood stoves or fireplaces), unfenced pools, trees or shrubs touching the home or overhanging the roof, yard, Stab-lok breaker boxes, undisclosed businesses, unregistered vehicles on the property, (attractive nuisances)...these are the most common issues I used to see on inspection reports.

Most home insurance carriers will conduct an inspection, it is within their rights.

What company are you with?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/26/17 8:01 p.m.

Outside ain't bad, could use some fresh paint on porch and foundation but nothing peeling. Roof, vinyl siding, windows are all good. Yard is good. No trees anymore, had 'em all taken down. One bump in sidewalk but might be OK. Outside steps (5-6) to basement w/ no handrail, I could fab that. No junk outside but an unregistered XJ out back, technically not on my property tho and not visible from the street.

Inside, I could reduce clutter by tossing stuff or redistributing it to spare rooms, lotta storage space upstairs. Should get rid of more cardboard boxes I kept for storage or Ebaying. But ya always need cardboard, don't ya. Over the winter I tossed a ton of cardboard and old magazines so I have been workin' on it. Been cleaning out the garage too.

Dad recently had a cancellation notice for broken steps out back and no handrail. A drunk/ high neighbor woman had crashed into them. They also dinged him on the woodburner. His agent he had forever went to bat for him and took care of it.

Feels a little overwhelming at the moment w/ all I gotta clean up and w/ not a lotta time.

edit: I haven't always been a slob. Up until five years ago I was a fairly organized and rather neat guy, everything had it's place and my vehicles were spotless. The job from hell consumed all my time w/ working 6-7 days w/ too many 12's thrown in. Hard to pass up good money. Had to let some stuff go and housekeeping was part of it. Things piled up in the house and garage and sorting/ tossing got put off, tools got left where I last used them. If ya don't keep up w/ stuff it's 10 X the work later to sort it all out... like now.

This may be my wake-up call to make it all right again. Whatever happens w/ the inspection, good or bad, this place will get straightened up and organized again.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
8/26/17 10:04 p.m.

When I was in FL, one of these inspections led to the mandatory purchase and installation of handrails for all entryways. The house was built in '45, off-grade construction, brick veneer, 4 steps up to the porch landing. Code is handrails if over 3 steps. Had to have decorative metal rails built for the front and side entrances and built wooden for the back. Hope you have better luck than me.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/28/17 3:58 p.m.

Is there a code for residential handrail dimensions and material?

I've built handrails at industrial plants before, OSHA minimum was 1-1/4" OD so I used 1-1/4" black pipe (1-5/8" OD), top rail 34" off floor. That would get pricey for home use. I'd prefer to use 3/4" pipe if I could.

Or just buy handrail from Lowes or HD?

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/28/17 4:12 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Handrail details

1.25" grip able minimum, 2" max.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/28/17 4:35 p.m.

Thanks java

Looks like poplar or oak rail from HD for <$4/ ft. Ain't usin' my DOM for that.

Another project I don't have time for.

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/28/17 4:46 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

2x4 on edge works too

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/28/17 5:28 p.m.

What to do in this case? 5 steps, I have the doors but they were a bit heavy so I'll build lighter ones but they are going back on.

How to integrate handrails to that if they are required?

Maybe I should just wait and let them tell me but I don't wanna get dinged too much.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/28/17 6:00 p.m.

Well apparently we had an unscheduled visit because we received a letter from our insurance company saying we needed a handrail on our front steps. I did it out of treated lumber. Not that pretty but it meets the requirements.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/3/17 9:48 p.m.

The inspection should have been completed by 9/22 and it's 11/3 today, never heard a word or seen a soul. I did a pretty good clean up inside and out w/ no junk about.

The homeowner insurance bill came today, it went up $16. 

Guess I can call that a win. smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ar6n7kpo8vh8elKWjRcgruRab5euyRUi1R4zY28QssdteW2jikRBVi69nS7laiaP