1 2 3 4 5
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/19/17 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Daisy:

It's very quaint of you to think so, but unfortunately there have been some terrible things that have happened that go way beyond making someone afraid.

With all due respect, I'd rather not use my daughter as a guinea pig in some "Let's all play nice on the Internet" kind of social experiment.

I intend to treat it as a credible threat of violence until proven otherwise.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/20/17 1:18 a.m.

Get onto the guys on performance forums, the perp will end up with a truck gearbox on their doorstep in no time just like Wayne besanko .

Seriously though, make sure all her home security is in order. Alarms, locks, etc. Cameras if possible. Keep a log of any and all suspicious correspondence. Get her into some self defence classes, and arm her with some personal protection. Be it mace, high powered light or fire arm. Also, there are some decent distress apps that can be activated if this E36 M3 crosses the line from internet harrassment to any form of actual physical encounter, I suggest looking into them.

This kind of thing is bullE36 M3, it takes a special kind of gutless and often crazy to terrorize someone from behind a veil of anonymity.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/30/17 2:50 p.m.

Today she got another email. This one said they were watching her in her apartment, and provided photographic proof.

There are no windows in her apartment facing public areas. Gated community.

Also claimed they signed a lease in her apartment complex. WTF??

I'm really pissed.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/17 2:55 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Sorry to hear that it's getting worse. Maybe time to file an updated report with APD and/or get a PI on the case?

I'm sure they're a bunch of us on here who are fluent in email header and are willing to help trace at least where the email came from. I'd be glad to help with that.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/17 3:18 p.m.

I agree that the key to confronting an employer/confirming presence would be an IP.

Do you know anyone who could help you analyze a log on a website? If so, I'd go with the reverse phishing strategy hinted to above, but make it a bit more direct.

Next time she gets an email from a "friend" from facebook, reply with something playing up the victim angle, something like:

Marsha! I can't believe you'd say something like that to me? I thought you were on my side! I don't know how they got you to turn against me, was it what I wrote about [link]Here on facebook?![/link]

Replace the link above with yourlinkthatlookssomethinglikefacebook.com/~emaillinkidentifier. Then make the page just say "404 page not found." If you could get them to click on it, the other person would probably just assume that you messed up making the link. Then watch the log, get the IP.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/30/17 3:30 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane:

I may be missing something- I'm trying to follow what you are suggesting.

My daughter and Cruella NEVER speak, and no one is communicating through FaceBook, so I'm not understanding what you are suggesting.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/30/17 4:00 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Today she got another email. This one said they were watching her in her apartment, and provided photographic proof. There are no windows in her apartment facing public areas. Gated community. Also claimed they signed a lease in her apartment complex. WTF?? I'm really pissed.

I'd talk to the management of the apartment complex about recent leasees and maybe include the photos. Anyone sending that is almost certainly in violation of their lease. (In our leases, you can't impair the "comfort" of another tenant, but residential leases and leases from bigger companies might have more specific wording about harassment of fellow tenants.)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/30/17 4:10 p.m.

If this were happening to me I would be sure to clean my gun in front of the window a lot. I think it's certainly possible that if Cruella is behind these episodes she may not be acting alone. If possible, maybe install cheap security cameras facing out of all windows for a few days to see who's creepin' around out there with a phone/camera pointed that way. Whoever it is is getting bolder in the hopes of causing a reaction in your daughter.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/30/17 4:21 p.m.

I forgot to mention that it's possible the creep has made a mistake sending the photos. Check the meta data on the photos if you can. They might indicate where and exactly when the photos were taken and might include the device type that the photo was taken with. If it was a phone then a lawyer might be able to get an order for the cell carrier to release the subscriber info.

EXIF data can be viewed using Irfanview or this add-on for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/ or any of a number of other ways.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/30/17 4:49 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Good info.

I'll keep you posted.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
1/30/17 5:15 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I forgot to mention that it's possible the creep has made a mistake sending the photos. Check the meta data on the photos if you can. They might indicate where and exactly when the photos were taken and might include the device type that the photo was taken with. If it was a phone then a lawyer might be able to get an order for the cell carrier to release the subscriber info. EXIF data can be viewed using Irfanview or this add-on for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/ or any of a number of other ways.

Viewing the EXIF data in Irfanview will give you the camera make, etc. If the camera/phone is GPS capable it will also give you the GPS location including the compass direction the camera was pointed when the picture was taken.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/17 6:05 p.m.

Good ideas in here. +1 for checking EXIF data, contacting apartment complex management, and updating the police with the pictures.

The reverse-phishing attack can work and isn't illegal, but to avoid false positives you'll have to set up the web server in a way to prevent search engines from stumbling across it (bringing more visitors who could muddle the results). I'd say you should set up a PHP script that will only run with a specific argument in the URL (to prevent any accidental stumbling) and will capture as much information as possible about the computer doing the browsing - more than you can get from web server logs. I could put this together for you if you like. A "supercookie" of some kind could be added in to open up possibilities for capturing further information...also not illegal.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/17 7:54 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Today she got another email. This one said they were watching her in her apartment, and provided photographic proof. There are no windows in her apartment facing public areas. Gated community. Also claimed they signed a lease in her apartment complex. WTF?? I'm really pissed.

Go feed the email headers to https://www.spamcop.net/. It will show you an analysis without you having to complete the report. It's pretty good at telling you who the responsible party is, at least when your adversary isn't too advanced.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/17 8:22 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to WonkoTheSane: I may be missing something- I'm trying to follow what you are suggesting. My daughter and Cruella NEVER speak, and no one is communicating through FaceBook, so I'm not understanding what you are suggesting.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I know they're not in direct contact, but I was proposing responding to the (fake) email from a "friend." Assuming cruella checks the junk gmail accounts she creates. I was suggesting that if your daughter responded with an overly dramatic email with a link in it, cruella would have to click it just to see what your daughter is posting.

But the exif data is a way easier if it's not scrubbed from the pictures.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/30/17 8:30 p.m.

If they truly signed a lease, wouldn't that be pretty clear? With the threatening email/info taken to the apt. management, there are likely only a few recent leases to review... how many would have similar angles to shoot a photo from?

+1 to Exif data.

If I still suspected the same person at this point, I'd be following them for sure. Like GPS tracker on their car at a minimum, but probably watching their moves on top of that.

(hopefully this part is unnecessary) I'd have your daughter keep a log of what she wears/errands she runs/whatever so that in the event there is another photo or photos taken and shared, she will know roughly when it happened.

This is a E36 M3ty situation. I hope you are able to resolve it quickly and safely.

GameboyRMH
1/31/17 9:30 a.m.

Come on, PM me SVreX, I want something interesting to do You'll just have to pay for a basic hosting package for the attack site.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/16/17 7:37 a.m.

Edited.

I posted more info, but decided it was better for me to avoid sharing details.

Suffice it to say it is still a growing problem.

GameboyRMH
2/17/17 11:53 a.m.

Oh I think this story will have a happy ending

(Check your email SVreX)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/18/17 6:28 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I saw. Looking great!

(The bigger problem is going to be how to use the info later)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/17 6:51 a.m.

What was Gameboy able to find?

EastCoastMojo
2/18/17 7:49 a.m.

Inquiring minds want to know!
Hope this gets resolved quickly and Cruella gets her comeuppance.

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
2/18/17 9:17 a.m.

As an additional note, if "Cruella" is using a work computer, most companies keep logs or monitor the use of work computers. They may be able to offer up proof of Cruella's activity in addition to what has been found so far.

At this point, self-defense and physical security measures are important. Meaning, CCW permit and training (mindset shift for self-defense, as well), improved locks/doorframes/etc moreso than surveillance.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/18/17 3:47 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: What was Gameboy able to find?

Not gonna answer that yet. Inquiring minds are just gonna have to be patient.

EastCoastMojo
2/18/17 3:56 p.m.

Well it sounds like good news so that's good. It's hard to be patient on the internet.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/18/17 5:33 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Well, the news is very mixed, but Gameboy is having some success.

1 2 3 4 5

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
tIItkr1UQaxG00DzNfTQJnTIMNBi4Xqy7s74hK8dzoDBa4aRGl8JTdGHZYTi1L9P