confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/17/08 2:51 p.m.

What do you guys think of the new iPhone 3G? It's got GPS, access to the new 3G network, it's cheap, cool, and functional.

I want one.

Discuss . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . now!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/17/08 3:11 p.m.

Cheap? No offense but I do not consider a phone that costs $500 cheap. Granted its a super awesome phone but its not $500 awesome to me. Maybe if I had more disposable income it would be a fun toy but not when I'm going to school and barely making it each month.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/17/08 3:16 p.m.

I'm considering grabbing a Macbook using the wife's university staff discount, and grabbing an IPod Touch at the same time. Not quite the internet access that the IPhone has, but enough that when I travel, I don't need to bring a laptop with me. Of course, the wife and I will also have a laptop, so if the travel is by car (not motorcycle), we'll have that too.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
7/17/08 3:24 p.m.

Actually they are $200 (if you go with the two year plan). The new phones are cheaper, but the plans are more expensive. Still they cost pretty much the same as other similar phones:

iPhone 3g True Price Comparison

As with anything, if you can use what it offers or if you are willing to pay for the things you don't "really" need, then it is a good deal. Defiantly a cool factor to them, and based on how Apple generally designs thing, probably a lot nicer to use than most phones. The new one is also a bit smaller and lighter than the old one (which was a complaint about them).

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/17/08 3:30 p.m.

Yep. $200.00 for the 3G. My contract allows me to take advantage of that in like 20 days since I'm already an AT&T Customer.

For me, it will take over the duties of PDA / Phone / iPod / GPS. My old PDA is finally in need of replacement (I use electronic goodies until they can't be used anymore). My phone, which I love, is a Sony Ericsson W810i. It's got a FANTASTIC flashlight function which is bright as E36 M3 and super white (not blue or anything). It just doesn't have any of the cool goodies. My iPod works just fine, but I never got used to the little touch wheel. And my Tom-Tom, while a great little GPS, just won't be required when the phone can do it all anyway.

SUPER-EDIT: Yeah, so it's consolidation and upgrading all for a pretty cool price.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/17/08 4:08 p.m.

As far as replacing a Tom-Tom, will you be able to talk on the phone and still have it tell you to turn at the same time?

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
7/17/08 5:30 p.m.

Go cnet.com and check out some reviews.

Apparently lots of people are complaining about the 3G network rarely having enough signal strength to use.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/17/08 6:46 p.m.

One of my coworkers has one and says the battery life is pretty bad. YMMV.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/17/08 7:46 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: As far as replacing a Tom-Tom, will you be able to talk on the phone and still have it tell you to turn at the same time?

Point taken. However, I don't drive and talk on the phone at the same time. I'm not a super-a-hole who hates people who do - I just can't. Both of my cars are noisy convertibles, manuals, and I don't have the skill to talk on the phone and focus 100% on the road. If I do, it's in the 'rent's cars and they have bluetooth BMW crap in them so I don't have to hold it.

However, if you are like most Americans and have the ability and the conviction to talk on the phone while you drive, I don't know if you'll be happy with the phone's ability or not.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
7/17/08 9:35 p.m.

I have several of the old phones and find no problems with them. I have plenty of signal strength - usually, and I live in a rural area.

I have no battery problems.

In short, it is fabulous!! I can't imagine having any other phone.

It constantly seeks a wifi signal so I rarely have to use the ATT internet.

It's great having the real internet instead of a phone internet. I can bookmark my favorites and it's great for directions and keeping me from getting lost. I depend upon it to always have the web pages I need to research stores, attractions, etc.

I sure wish I could take a pic or video and send to someone without having to use my email. it won't let you send an email without checking for mail. This means I can't use my regular email service since I get too many emails to have my phone checking them. That's the only downside I've found

Stuc
Stuc Reader
7/17/08 10:42 p.m.

A number of my friends have iTouch. It's real cool how it gets WiFi... any public wireless signal and your set!

As far as the iPhone goes... the first reason I couldn't have one is that it would be more stressful keeping that thing in one piece than any stress its features is going to relieve from me.

Next, the purchase price is acceptable, but the service plans are not. $100/mo without text messenging? Granted, you wouldn't really need it I'd imagine... you could just use the internet to send messages with AIM or something (no?). Anyhow, that, plus I'm sure noone would have that without insurance, and I'm sure insurance isn't cheap for that, so no iPhone for me.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/17/08 10:52 p.m.

The buy-in is bad, but the monthly is fargin rediculous. No way in hell I'm paying $100+ a month for damn phone unless it does my homework and gives me BJ's.

<---Spends ~$120 / year for phone service.

Stuc
Stuc Reader
7/18/08 12:49 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: The buy-in is bad, but the monthly is fargin rediculous. No way in hell I'm paying $100+ a month for damn phone unless it does my homework and gives me BJ's. <---Spends ~$120 / year for phone service.

$120/yr for cell phone? or home phone?

Dan G
Dan G Dork
7/18/08 1:00 a.m.

I just got a Crackberry Curve on Monday. It was $200 after MIR and I'm locked in on my SERO $30/month TOTAL PRICE plan. 500 anytime mins, unlimited sprint-sprint, unlimited N&W at 7pm, unlimited texts, and UNLIMITED DATA.

The Curve has built in GPS, and I've already loaded Gmail, GoogMaps, 3rd part Nav apps like golftraxx and tracking/trip logging stuff. It gets pretty fast access to a compressed version of the "full" internet through Opera Mini. Its supposed to get YouTube, but I haven't made that work yet. The only BB function I'm really missing right now is OTA downloads, but I've found some How-Tos for a workaround. EDIT: OTA downloads through the BB browser working perfectly now. Booyaa.

I'm thoroughly impressed with it, and the only out-of-pocket cost to switch from my ho-hum flip phone to this multimedia powerhouse was two benjis. If you put my BB Curve in the same "real price comparison" site as listed above, I'd have the cheapest option by a margin of $900, literally half the cost of the other phones on the list.

Crackberry Curve Review

skruffy
skruffy Dork
7/18/08 7:02 a.m.
billy3esq wrote: One of my coworkers has one and says the battery life is pretty bad. YMMV.

One review I read says the iPhone has the best battery life of any 3G phone out right now...

Also, I have a first gen iPhone and I don't think I could love it more. FWIW, the iPhone plan is pretty much just $20 for 200 text + unlimited data on top of whatever voice plan you have. I don't know where you guys got the $100/month figure from.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/08 7:09 a.m.

Actually the $100.00 was quoted to me as well when we were shopping carriers a few moths ago.

I laughed and left.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/18/08 8:35 a.m.

Actually, now the monthly rate for the phone starts at $69 a month without text; but this includes data. Throw in text messaging and it might come to $89. But yeah, I think I'm reiterating what was just said.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/18/08 8:45 a.m.
Stuc wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: The buy-in is bad, but the monthly is fargin rediculous. No way in hell I'm paying $100+ a month for damn phone unless it does my homework and gives me BJ's. <---Spends ~$120 / year for phone service.
$120/yr for cell phone? or home phone?

Cell.

T-Mobile to-go. No contract, $.10 / minute prepaid. I use ~100 minutes / month.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/18/08 9:42 a.m.

I see the cell phone as a neccessary evil, so I will not blow my hard earned cash on iPhones etc.

I have an old Suncom plan that's $29.95 / month for 1000 minutes and nationwide long distance. I rarely text and I could care less about having a GPS or Web browser on my phone. I tried the Web browser on my brother's first gen iPhone and was, well, underwhelmed.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
7/18/08 9:55 a.m.

2 major differences between 1st gen and 3g i-phone that matter to me... and may make me get one (later summer) ... Better synching with my works outlook and faster internet connection.

Friend who works in the field will be testing soon and if the bug stories are true I'll be getting the crackberry for the same reasons above.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
7/18/08 4:33 p.m.

I have a 1st gen iPhone, and have loved it. It does almost everything, especially with the 2.0 update.

By the way, 1st gen iphones run exactly the same software, so they would sync with your outlook, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c6g0KYMP7sf3L9nWm7EOw9txvqWKUDawX8tlpXaP02Og05jcUf3PtvAErZkcBljx