1 ... 7 8 9 10
Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
4/27/21 12:20 p.m.
stanger_mussle said:

In reply to MrChaos :

Yeah, Webasto (the OEM for the 2 and 4 door hard tops) is waaaay behind on their production schedule.

Bestop has a nice fastback-style soft top for the 2 door but I don't think it has been "officially" released yet.

Ahhh, i hadn't seen that yet. I thought it was odd it was only available w/removable hard top panels.  That makes sense.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/21 8:24 a.m.

Just passed a Bronco Sport on the road. 

Underwhelming in all black

If it hadn't said bronco real big on the nose I would have thought just another SUV.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/4/21 8:51 a.m.

There was a yellow four door parked in the hotel parking lot where I've been staying.  It looked fine... seems like a perfectly okay appliance.  Why would I want or not want one in relation to cars like the Tiguan or whatever blob Chevy is selling or whatever?

This whole segment, by and large, strikes me as exciting as a dish washer only less utilitarian.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/4/21 10:51 a.m.

I did get to see one this weekend, and I didn't hate the sport like I thought I would.  It is definitely the mainstream version of the new Bronco and my GF liked it.  And I think that is the target with this one.  She also approved of the square back which probably adds to the functionality.  This one was a light gray-blue and looked decent in that color.  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/21 12:28 p.m.
P3PPY said:
ShawnG said:
P3PPY said:

In reply to stanger_mussle :

Ah-ha. That makes more sense. I'd only seen the sport and they didn't strike me as the hero everyone had been looking for. 

Is this an industry first where they make two different cars at the same time that have drastically different underpinnings but give them only trim-level name differentiation? I'm racking my brain here. 

Corolla came as FWD and RWD at the same time for a couple years.

2008,9 Taurus and Taurus X

Montero and Montero Sport.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/18/21 7:25 p.m.

An interesting photo OP presented itself tonight in my small town. Interesting size comparison... 

Taller belt line on the new one and much larger wheels but width, length and overall height appeared very similar 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
7/18/21 7:47 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Damn. That's closer than I figured. Very cool. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/21 9:02 p.m.

I've been looking forward to seeing the first one out in the wild.  Today, I saw a black 4 door with the soft top and aluminum wheels. A 4 door Wrangler happened to be passing it, and although I think the Wrangler had larger tires, it looked wider than the Bronco.

It didn't look as striking in person as in pictures, but I think a lot of that had to do with the color. The factory soft top windows looked cheap. 

I'm looking  forward to seeing more.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/21 9:04 p.m.
John Welsh said:

An interesting photo OP presented itself tonight in my small town. Interesting size comparison... 

Taller belt line on the new one and much larger wheels but width, length and overall height appeared very similar 

It is interesting, but that older one is a Ranger-based Bronco II...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/21 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I kinda think that was the point.  Also, the Bronco II is much closer to what the original Bronco was in terms of size.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/21 9:51 p.m.

Now, the real question is, anyone interested in the Bronco Raptor?

Rumored 3.0L Ecoboost with maybe a hybrid version, 37" tires, etc.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-bronco-raptor-everything-we-know/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a37001912/2023-ford-bronco-raptor/

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/21 2:57 p.m.

Well, I just gave in and made a reservation on Ford's website for a base 2 door.  I've been ignoring them for the last 6 months, but I saw in the other new bronco thread where somebody noted that Ford was not allowing markup on reservations.  Now I'll have to decide between a Cybertruck and the Bronco.  If I get the Cybertruck my current truck and Tahoe will disappear from my fleet.  If I get the Bronco, I'll keep my current truck and get rid of the Tahoe.  The Bronco + current truck option would have less of my money tied up in the vehicles.

So, within 5 minutes of making the reservation I got a text from a salesman at the Ford dealer I picked.  5 minutes later he was calling me acting dumb like he didn't know I had a reservation and pretended I asked for information...I told him to call me back when they had a 2 door on the lot that I could test drive.  We'll see how that turns out...He did tell me my reservation would put me at late 2022 or early 2023 production and I'm good with that.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/21 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I'm interested! Seems pretty rad. Not sure I'll ever be able to afford one though, based on what used F150 Raptors go for sad

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
7/22/21 3:15 p.m.

I was considering it, but the MIC tops look terrible in real life pictures, so that means over two years out to actually purchase one.  I saw one in person and they look nice though.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/22/21 6:49 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

Well, to help make your choice easier the cybertruck doesn't exist and the battery tech and charging infrastructure for it to be used as a truck also doesn't exist.  The bronco does exist, infrastructure is in place, etc, etc.

7/23/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I know the Cybertruck is not yet in production, but Tesla has generally met or exceeded all of their a design briefs/prereleased stats except delivery time.  In that sense, I'm not worried about it not being able to do what they claim.  I can't go sit in one, but I realistically can't go sit in a 2 door Bronco right now either (none in stock anywhere locally).  Looking at other folks assessment of Tesla's progress at the Texas facility and the size of it the best guess is with my reservation number I would be first quarter 2023 production, so similar to my Bronco reservation.  Based on that I expect to get a chance to check both out before I would have to place an order (might be wrong on that, but that is my current assumption).

As far as truck duties, most of that will be 75 mile or less round trip so I bet the Cybertruck could do my truck duties no problem.  It would also reduce the fleet size by one and thus reduce the associated fleet ownership costs.  It should also reduce maintenance and operating costs significantly (although probably not enough to completely offset the higher initial purchase price vs Bronco + current truck). 

If there was no new Bronco, my decision would be easy.  Now it's a case of one is more practical but I think I want the less practical one just as much...so I have reservations for both and we shall see how it unfolds. smiley

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
7/23/21 10:03 a.m.

Interesting. I would not have bet that a buying decision would be split between those two massively dissimilar vehicles. They seem like such different use cases. But then again I was cross shopping Mini Coopers and Mustang GTs with Subarus at one point, so I guess I can understand. 

Personally I think the cybertruck is abhorrent. 

7/23/21 10:15 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Well, the main point is I will continue to need a truck.  With the right truck I don't need anything else.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/23/21 10:21 a.m.

What about the rivian? Seems like a better electric trck, and a possibly better price....

7/23/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

More expensive ($67.5k vs $50k for the dual motor Cybertruck) and 4'-6" fake bed.  I don't really want or need a crew cab (current truck is full size extended cab which is the "Goldilocks" size), but I do want a truck with at least a 6' bed.  Which is also why the Ford is out of the running.  I like a lot about it including the frunk and that it uses many F150 components.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/23/21 10:46 a.m.

Have you looked up the size dimensions of the cybertruck?  It's enormous!  I also doubt that it'll do real truck stuff without a quantum leap in both battery technology and infrastructure

7/23/21 10:50 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Yeah, I know it's HUGE.  I'll be doing a lot of walking from the far end of the parking lot if I get one...

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/25/21 3:27 p.m.

Don't have links in front of me but it seems some Bronco owners are already having issues with the tops. sad

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/21 10:12 p.m.

Some of the freshly delivered Broncos have suffered some defects in the molded in color (MIC) tops.

One guy's top you could see the internal honeycomb structure like the resin was too thin. Others had poorly finished edges and delaminating. There has only been a handful that have been sold but many are sitting outside the Michigan Assembly Plant with "bad top" written on them.

Webasto has screwed up so badly that Ford has dropped them and chosen another vendor to manufacture the modular white and black painted tops.

Most, if not all, 4 door Broncos are shipping with a soft top and a "hard top prep kit" so the MIC tops can be installed at a later date. The 2 door guys (me included) are SOL until Ford can fix the MIC tops as a soft top is not offered from the factory on 2 door Broncos.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/21 2:49 p.m.
1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
er2mUWLgWFyvUZWgNBqAyt3vsvPk4sp15WhVWrul1vqTkI4qpJo82sn2PR21oRp3