fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
8/12/08 9:27 a.m.

First it was the faked fireworks, now lip synching.... Next they'll be saying there is freedom of religion in China, they have churches afterall.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26153578/

WilD
WilD Reader
8/12/08 9:30 a.m.

Poor China, so unsavy in the art of looking good on the world stage. The chinese are comming accross as pretty creepy so far this Olympics. I wonder if they really are that creepy or the media is just playing up their wierdness.

Edit: by creepy, I don't mean to imply that individual chinese people are creepy. I mean the governements apparent attempt to control everything and present a highly engineered image to the world.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/12/08 10:03 a.m.

How could a country that dominates female weight lifting be creepy???? oh wait.....

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
8/12/08 10:48 a.m.
WilD wrote: I wonder if they really are that creepy or the media is just playing up their wierdness.

I vote for the Chinese government really being that creepy. What were they thinking when they had their soldiers actually goose step across the stage carrying the flag in the opening ceremonies? All the media needed to do with that one was broadcast it without comment and it's creepy enough.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
8/12/08 12:05 p.m.
WilD wrote: Edit: by creepy, I don't mean to imply that individual chinese people are creepy. I mean the governements apparent attempt to control everything and present a highly engineered image to the world.

Government by Disney

Disney with the world's largest army, more to the point.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/12/08 12:09 p.m.

China faked the fireworks? What do you mean? I missed the opening ceremony.

More importantly: China invented the damned things. Why on Earth would they choose to fake them?

BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
8/12/08 12:19 p.m.

A communist country wanting to control everything, never heard of such a thing.

Who thinks their female(girl) gymnasts are 16 or older?

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/12/08 12:47 p.m.

yeah, it is pretty sad when the country usually acknowledged as having invented fireworks, has to use a "stand-in" to get the desired effect.

As I understand it, if there is one thing in China that is real...it's their prisons. And the justice system? A classic oxymoronic concept, as in first we execute you for your crime, then, if we are feeling generous, we allow your survivors to file for an appeal.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
8/12/08 12:48 p.m.

The official story on the fake fireworks was that they didn't want a helicopter flying around close to the real ones to film them, and creating a fake video would be safer.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/12/08 12:49 p.m.
BBsGarage wrote: A communist country wanting to control everything, never heard of such a thing. Who thinks their female(girl) gymnasts are 16 or older?

Yeah, don't forget the 16 year old gymnasts...even Chinese news papers have cast doubts on that, in some cases with data to back up that some of the girls are as young as 12. Personally I think it's an odd age requirement, since other events can have younger people, but that's besides the point.

confuZion, there was a clip in the TV broadcast that had some obviously fake (CGI enhanced) video showing a fly-by over the city with fireworks going off of a bunch of buildings in the city. It was odd that they really wanted to show this image and instead of actually doing it they made a fake video of it...if it was really so hard to pull off, why not just leave it out? If your reality doesn't match your artistic desires, wouldn't the Olympic opening ceremony be a good place to "keep it real"...of all places!?! I think the Chinese have shown they're willing to go to great lengths to put on a good front, which is pretty creepy. I just hope we don't continue to see people doping up to be more competitive, that is far worse than a bit of video in the opening ceremony, and is particularly embarrassing and shameful when it's our own competitors doing it.

Bryce

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/12/08 2:49 p.m.

You know, I think at the end of all of it, China might just be trying to put on a good show. Sure, faking the fireworks is stupid and just confuses people. But does anybody think that the Chinese are trying so hard to put on a good show because of genuine appreciation for the event? Just a thought.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/12/08 3:00 p.m.

Maybe they had to fake the fireworks to keep from setting the smog on fire....oops, the MIST.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/12/08 3:15 p.m.

they have fake fan cheering squads as well groups of voulnteers wearing ornge or yellow who sit in the stands of lower popularity events and cheer on everyone..

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/12/08 3:19 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: You know, I think at the end of all of it, China might just be trying to put on a good show. Sure, faking the fireworks is stupid and just confuses people. But does anybody think that the Chinese are trying so hard to put on a good show because of genuine appreciation for the event? Just a thought.

No, nobody thinks that. Nobody in the entire world. The entire world thinks that the Chinese are creepy fakesters, every last one of them. Except for you, you are the only person left in the world that thinks they genuinely appreciate the event so much that they should make fake images of grandeur to do the event honor. What are you, a Commie or something?

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/12/08 3:21 p.m.
ignorant wrote: they have fake fan cheering squads as well groups of voulnteers wearing ornge or yellow who sit in the stands of lower popularity events and cheer on everyone..

Even better, my girlfriend said she saw a clip yesterday about a certain cheer that the Chinese are supposed to do together...the government issued a specific sequence of clapping/thumbs up/chanting that the people should do in unison. Creepy.

Bryce

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/12/08 4:40 p.m.

the story i read said that the fireworks were real but they feared they wouldnt be able to do a good job of recording the entire sequence so they cged a big part of it for the broadcast to make sure it looked perfect on TV.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/12/08 7:07 p.m.

the fireworks cg dose not bother me.

now that poor little girl who wasn't pretty enough makes me want to sell her all kinds of doughnuts so she can drown her pain in food and get fat and spite filled...

I am a sad man.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/12/08 9:38 p.m.

Ah yes, the next "little" bit of fakery from the Chinese. We can't have a not so pretty little girl...with a great voice, sing at the Olympics, so we must find a beautiful little girl who can lip-sync.

All those folks who in their minds link China to poor copies of others folks work....with no care given to the effort those other folks put into their originals, must be having a field day.

China, the land of "cut and paste" and WE WILL HAVE A PERFECT IMAGE PROJECTED TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/12/08 11:01 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Maybe they had to fake the fireworks to keep from setting the smog on fire....oops, the MIST.

don't go to China, them might jail you for that

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/13/08 5:56 a.m.

Coincidentally, I've been watching re-runs of the last season of "24" for the past few months on MY network....the Chinese have (temporarily?) replaced the Russians as the world's bad guys, at least on tv or in movies. I'm not sure the Olympics "sanitizing" will change their image for the better or the worst.

It's kind of sad though, that the "powers that be" in China couldn't figure on the "West" uncovering all their idiotic attempts to project a perfect image of the country.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/08 4:11 p.m.

I like chinese food. Does that count?

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/13/08 4:29 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I like chinese food. Does that count?

You probably don't like real Chinese food, our Chinese food is another thing from China that isn't real.

Bryce

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wHC2DB6YffQHzOUxh0EgpFC8ObLSAosYqOzIXXvGjJ7IYtQcABX2H8pmhZpe0j4j