1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/17 9:25 a.m.

Just as the title asks.

I'm scouring craigslist for something, but everything is looking to be more expensive than a HarborFreight option.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/11/17 9:28 a.m.

I've got a 4x8 tilting trailer that I'd sell you for $125

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/17 9:31 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I've got a 4x8 tilting trailer that I'd sell you for $125

Gas there and back, plus the trailer, would cost about the same as going to HF and picking up a new one...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/17 9:35 a.m.

What's your intended use? HF is probably the cheapest for light duty, but if you need a heavy duty trailer the HF might not be up to the task.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/11/17 9:35 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

Fair enough

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/17 9:37 a.m.
Robbie wrote: What's your intended use? HF is probably the cheapest for light duty, but if you need a heavy duty trailer the HF might not be up to the task.

Light duty. Think putting a boat up to 500 lbs on it as the maximum that it would do. Mostly it would be to add storage for road trips (we have two large dogs that tend to take up the entire rear hatch area).

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/17 11:26 a.m.

I was eyeing up HF trailers last fall, but by the time I spent the money to put a deck and sides on it, plus the hassle of getting it titled and registered (no clue how difficult that actually is), I figured I'd be better off shopping CL. Sounds like your local market is different, but what if you expanded the search radius a bit to get further out from the city?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/11/17 11:29 a.m.

Might depend some on how easy it is to tag a trailer kit in your state. From what I've read, doing it in PA is a bit of a PITA, so I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a used trailer that already has PA tags.

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/11/17 11:31 a.m.

IF you get a HF one, get the 12" wheels, wheel bearings will last sooo much longer.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/17 12:04 p.m.

I was in this market last year, and I ended up getting a 5x10 utility trailer at Tractor Supply. Everyone around here thinks their beat to hell homebuilt utility trailers are worth $500, so I went new.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/17 12:28 p.m.

It's hard to beat new. You have to title and register any trailer, right? And you won't have to worry about putting new tires and wheel bearings and wiring in it.

I regularly run my 40x48 up to and beyond its capacity. No problems.

jere
jere HalfDork
5/11/17 12:49 p.m.

I asked the same question a while back, and got the hft 8x10. I have been offered 2 free trailers since

The hft trailer is a pretty good deal. I made the deck with free Craigslist waterbed 2x10s and don't use the folding in half option. The boards add a lot of strength and I used tie down hooks instead of putting up sides/air brakes.

Registration and titling was super easy and cheap (Ohio). One trip to the DMV no other bs at all just needed the supplied paperwork from hft and all was good.

I have loaded 500lbs or so for a scrap yard run with no issues from the trailer. I do suggest getting some kind of sealed bearings or a generic bearing buddy. The ones hft sells don't actually fit the trailer

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/17 1:17 p.m.

I have a 4x8 HF trailer. Its wimpy. Like floppy wimpy. I used it for my 14' aluminum boat, so I decked it with ply, put two 2x4s in the center to catch the skeg, and a couple angled 2x6 under the chines. The first time I loaded the boat, it bent the rear crossmember. I straightened it out and bolted in a 1.5" angle across it.

Without the boat on it, it flops like a seagull. But it hasn't failed me in 10 years.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/17 1:23 p.m.

I had one of the HF small trailers in the past--lost storage space and had to sell it. Now I've got space and want another. I loved having it around.

Good news is that I can register the trailer in Michigan with a bill of sale at my dads vacation home. At least I think I can. $75 for a permanent plate.

klb67
klb67 Reader
5/11/17 1:37 p.m.

What do you want the trailer for, and do you have to have tags and a title and where are you and what are the requirements - that will drive your decision. I'm in PA, and you must have the weight to get one titled - not an advertised weight - certified off of a manufacturers certificate of origin, or you have to get it inspected and weighted (I've done both). In PA used trailers without titles are nearly worthless. Junk trailers with good titles are worth hundreds. If you get a manufacturers certificate of origin with a HF trailer (don't know if you do), you should be able to title it if that's required where you are. Or look at a non resident title from Maine - I almost went that route. Lastly, check out www.tnttt.com to look at alternative frames to HF - I know northern tool has one that may be regarded has having a bit better bearings, etc. There are a few other manufacturers mentioned. But perhaps HF has improved their stuff too?

If you want a boat trailer, look at load rite distributors - I don't think you can beat the price/value.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/11/17 1:54 p.m.

In reply to klb67:

You do get an MCO with HF trailers. At least, I did, when I bought a Tag Along. Wisconsin doesn't require registering trailers, so mine is just sitting in my toolbox.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
5/11/17 2:44 p.m.

A good option to explore when looking for a cheap, small trailer is PWC trailers. That's what I used for my micro-camper build. I paid less than what an HF trailer would have cost, but by the time I refurbished it, it cost more... but it was sooooo much nicer than an HF trailer in the end.

It may take a few searches to find one... jetski trailer, PWC trailer, jet ski trailer, etc.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
5/11/17 8:17 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

I was going to suggest the same thing.

A quick search found this:

Single place karavan

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/17 10:53 p.m.
jstand wrote: In reply to EvanR: I was going to suggest the same thing. A quick search found this: Single place karavan

Frankly, just too far away. 3 hours round trip with traffic. Harbor Freight is 15 minutes round trip. Same price too.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
5/12/17 6:29 a.m.

In reply to mtn: I wasn't sure about geography, just looking for an example to post that was in the same region.

I've had good experiences with Karavan and their snowmobile trailers. They were actually the cheapest source for wheel bearings and hubs when I refurbished my trailer a few years ago.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/12/17 8:58 a.m.

1546360_576223232457401_1867479344_n

I've posted this before. I had the little 4x4 trailer that I used for about a year to tow a kart and parts all over Texas. Notice in the pic that I built a frame out of angle iron and 1x1's to hold the kart on top and bolted it to the pre-existing holes in the frame. I also tack welded the frame itself after getting it all bolted together which really helped keep it from being as floppy.

I eventually moved up to the 10" rims and tires which didn't make it feel any different, but made me feel better about towing it at 80+ mph on the toll road. When I upgraded the wheels, I flipped the axle to lower the overall height of the trailer and kart.

I had plans to extend the tongue so I could build a place for the kart stand on front and free up the underneath, but ended up buying a truck so I could tow my 6x12 enclosed trailer later that year.

Having that trailer was amazingly helpful. I still miss it, sometimes, because it was just so easy to load and hook up to the Fiat and go. Loading my 6x12 is much more effort and not as much fun to tow.

-Rob

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
5/12/17 11:15 a.m.

If you want new, HF is tough to beat. I ended up finding a used 5x10, with title, for about $100 less than I would have spent on the new 4x8 HF and outfitting it. I think I had it in my possession within an hour of it being posted on CL. Cheap trailers go fast.

klb67
klb67 Reader
5/12/17 3:52 p.m.

Since you said storage and dogs, I figured I'd share. It's definitely not the budget option, but I wanted a multi use trailer that could keep camping, duck hunting or other gear secure and dry (including luggage, etc. for holiday travel), had a removable canoe rack, telescoping tongue (shortened for heavier loads, longer for my canoe or Sunfish sailboat). Our dog crate takes up half the SUV, and at the time I was also hauling baby/little kid stuff when traveling.

I did the design, borrowing from several existing off road trailers I found (home built and commercially available). I can't weld, but had a guy weld the trailer together and work with me on my design, and I painted and assembled it. It has worked out very well. I have a receiver in the rear, and in the front, into which the tongue and hitch go. To try to keep weight down, I used a very thin metal on the lid (22 gauge maybe?), so you can see some of the waves in the metal and paint. The lid has a key lock in each corner. I considered bedliner for inside and for the lid, but never got around to it. I have an ammo box to mount in front and haven't gotten around to that either. I build a cradle/bunks to trailer my sunfish sailboat right on top of the lid, with the mast, sail and spars in a bag on the canoe rack.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/18/19 8:22 a.m.

Dragging this up just because I'm checking out cheap trailers again.

I bought this about 10 years ago.  With discounts etc. it was under $250 out the door.  This thing has done at least 10k miles.  I'd say 3-4k of those have been fully loaded with camping gear doing over 80mph.  I will say I've never once taken it above 110mph while loaded.  It's been to Florida, Colorado, Wisconsin, Illinois and all over Michigan.  It's been camping, Home Depot runs, garden center runs, dump/tip runs. It's hauled engines, scrap, car parts, all sorts of things.  I've repacked the wheel bearings a few times, but it's been used and abused for a decade and finally, rust and rot has got the better of it.  I can't say enough good things about it or it's value for money.

Yup, those are tiny 10" wheels and they've lived at ludicrous speeds and loads.  Personally I'm convinced with the quality of these trailers.  My current plan is to wait for the next 20% off HF coupon then buy one of the heavier duty (1,720lb's vs 1,150lb's) 4x8 folding trailers.  The heavier duty ones apparently have larger hubs, bearings, wheels and tires than the lighter ones which seems like a good idea based on how I treat it.  

I do plan on welding all the joints for extra strength as I don't need the folding capability.

Anyone see any hefty HF discounts please let me know!!

Image result for adrian harbor freight trailer discount site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/18/19 8:30 a.m.

One thing I've read online is that the hubs and bearings are metric, so common parts like dust covers for the hub are not standard parts.  Not sure about getting hold of metric parts in the future, what are peoples experience / thoughts on that subject?

Cheers.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wr1Vz2lHl4jNRcT5LMF4o1nhCZNWe56DNYOfHOiO90z8NjOmYrYhGBEtFCRYIVN1