1 2
Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/20 7:49 a.m.
JoeyM said:
Curtis73 said:

It's one of the reasons THIS corona is such a potentially harmful thing.  The fact that it is a "novel" virus means it's new.

FTFY. Details below.

We've been exposed our whole lives to influenza and cold viruses so our bodies fight it off all the time without even getting sick. 

This is a minor nitpick, so please forgive me. As far as I know, the gist of everything you said here is correct. I just wanted to make sure that it is understood that the Corona virus which causes covid 19 is indeed a new variant of Corona virus, but that there are some very old and very familiar Corona viruses we deal with all the time

#9: There are lots of corona viruses. These include some of the virons that cause the common cold.

I'm sure that Dr. Hess could say this much more succinctly and clearly than I have, and if I have said something incorrect, I defer to his experience.

When exposed to THIS corona, our bodies are like "WTF is this crap?  How do we kill it?"

Agreed.

I appreciate the clarification.  Clarity is totally needed and I used simplistic, colloquial terminology.  Thank you for chiming in.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/31/20 8:40 a.m.

About 10 years ago I discovered I'd developed an allergy to oysters...on vacation...on New Year's Eve. I've puked on NYE before, but NEVER like that. We had to stay an extra 2 days.

At the time I figured I'd just eaten a "bad one," so six months later, while out with friends, I ate ONE oyster...with the same results.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/31/20 8:41 a.m.

I didn't develop grass/pollen allergies until I was in my 30's. Looks like tomatos are next on my list as many tomato sauces and salsa's really mess me up. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/31/20 9:07 a.m.

I'm fairly sure I have developed a gluten issue that has gotten worse through my 40's, although since I love gluten foods, I'm been in denial.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
3/31/20 9:47 a.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado :

In my youth I used to love going to my grandmother vegetable farm and just gulp fresh peas off the vine. I've always loved peas. Pea soup soup with peas etc. 

about age 35 I had some split pea soup, went into antiflilaxis  shock and came within a gnats butt of dying. 
testing confirmed the allergy. 

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
4/1/20 2:23 a.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 - Mike :

Yeah, that looks like it. All new to me, but I was certainly under more stress than I'd previously admitted when I had the stent procedure. Cardio doc dove down my right wrist, but it took the wrong exit, and they had to try again through the left. So then, *both* hands were pretty much useless, and they had to admit me to the hospital overnight.

I hate being constrained. Didn't matter that it was a hospital room, instead of a jail cell. Didn't help that I'm a nicotine addict, I suppose. Only way I got through it was a friend who smuggled in a JUUL (nicotine patches the place offered weren't strong enough, and if an asperin is $400, a patch is probably $1K), and that the hospital's TV had the networks showing Womens' World Cup soccer qualifying matches (I like women, I like soccer, why not blend it?).

Thanks to you and everybody else who replied, you've helped.

Thing I should add: I've a couple of dozen of allergies to plants & food & whatever else I've forgotten since I was a teenager. Had all the 'allergy shot' resistance experiments in the '70s (didn't work). But none of 'em are "OMG, my throat is closing, I'm gonna die!" stuff. Mild allergies. Just a runny nose. It's like having 'hay fever' all year long. No serious threat. These stupid bumps on my hands aren't really very different. I'm certainly not gonna bother health care professionals with a minor thing like this in our current environment.

My hands are pretty ugly, but nobody's shaking hands these days anyway, right?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OuTi4EaVxVGjJzqHLBziuXLFTtGCx6iEitj8YLqj2NPB8KcOaKgJC6LFIlUryp2j