1 2
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/4/20 5:30 p.m.

As the title states. Got a weird text from someone who clearly knows me, at least somewhat. I'm not terribly forthcoming with my phone# so I assume it's someone that I've given it to- but I can't figure out who, and they aren't responding to requests for info. Kinda weirded out right now. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/20 5:36 p.m.

Not for cell numbers that I've ever found. Sometimes with good syntax you can get lucky googling it, but not often

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/4/20 8:09 p.m.

There is no phone book (and therefore no reverse look up) for cell phone numbers. 

Try searching the number on Facebook. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/4/20 8:49 p.m.

I paid a dollar to look it up, unfortunately it appears to be a us cellular burner phone (absolutely no registered info) with a 785 area code. I tried the Facebook thing and it came up blank. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/4/20 9:14 p.m.

Still afraid Columbia House is going to show up and try to collect?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/4/20 9:15 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Still afraid Columbia House is going to show up and try to collect?

Well you know, those copies of 2 legit 2 quit don't pay for themselves. 

On a more serious note, I'm more worried that it's someone that has my number that I don't want to have my number- since I did verify you can find me if you really want to. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
8/4/20 10:28 p.m.

Have you replied confirming it's you? If not just block it and move on. Either that or just say "sorry don't know him, wrong number"

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/5/20 5:50 a.m.

Did you piss someone off recently?   Are they threatening you with damaging information? 

Block it and move on

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/5/20 6:25 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Got a weird text from someone who clearly knows me, at least somewhat.

What was discussed?  Casual, how ya doing stuff, inquisitive or accusatory?   Call back and ask:  "Sorry, where do I know you from?"

I feel this in my soul, I went from getting none to a half dozen a day out of nowhere.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/20 7:01 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Have you replied confirming it's you? If not just block it and move on. Either that or just say "sorry don't know him, wrong number"

I had a mega crazy lady text me last year(she kept imagining problems with her windows and her daughter told me she's crazy and nothing is wrong after 3 trips to fix nothing) and I replied "sorry I just got this number I'm sick of people texting this Patrick guy please stop"

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/5/20 7:30 a.m.

Ugh, that's annoying. Two months ago apparently my ex-wife gave her boyfriend my dad, mom, and my phone number and he started sending us all harassing text messages, making up all kinds of ridiculous claims and stuff.

Stopped after one night. No idea what either of them thought it was going to accomplish.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/20 8:33 a.m.
914Driver said:
Mndsm said:

What was discussed?  Casual, how ya doing stuff, inquisitive or accusatory?   Call back and ask:  "Sorry, where do I know you from?"

Person in question asked how old swmbo's daughter was when I moved in with them. Misspelled daughter's name, but had it close enough they either did it on purpose, or at the very least know who she is- it's not a common name.  Did the "I'm sorry who are you", have not received a reply. Paranoid that is swmbo's ex and he somehow got my number. That would be a problem. 

Mndsm said:
914Driver said:
Mndsm said:

Person in question asked how old swmbo's daughter was when I moved in with them. Misspelled daughter's name, but had it close enough they either did it on purpose, or at the very least know who she is- it's not a common name. 

my paranoid side says you're about to be accused of something terrible.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/20 8:36 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

That would not be off the person in questions menu if it is who I think it is. 

In reply to Mndsm :

berkeley.  good luck, internet stranger.  for the record, i don't know you.  wink

RevRico
8/5/20 8:46 a.m.
Mndsm said:
914Driver said:
Mndsm said:

Person in question asked how old swmbo's daughter was when I moved in with them. Misspelled daughter's name, but had it close enough they either did it on purpose, or at the very least know who she is- it's not a common name.  Did the "I'm sorry who are you", have not received a reply. Paranoid that is swmbo's ex and he somehow got my number. That would be a problem. 

Dude that was me. Although I never got a "who is this" in return. Check your messages.

Why the duck is my 16 year old phone number showing up as a random Kansas number?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/20 8:56 a.m.

Lies! You're Colombia House agent. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/20 9:02 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Lies! You're Colombia House agent. 

Rico is probably the last person I would expect to work for Columbia house. Maybe it's YOU. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/5/20 10:12 a.m.
Mndsm said:
since I did verify you can find me if you really want to. 

If it's possible to find you on the intrawebs, it's pretty easy from there to find out who's associated with you. And since daughter's name was misspelled, I would doubly suspect this is just someone who pulled her name off a search and doesn't actually know her or you, at least not the current version of you. That would also seem to rule out the ex. Your reply should fix any casual sniffer-arounders.

Margie

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/20 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

It turned out to be Rico, so there's that. However on the subject of the ex-  swmbo hated the name. So she purposely misspelled it from what the ex wanted. He still sometimes spells it wrong. Afaik she's pretty much a ghost online. The 15min I paid for a pro search didn't dig up anything. Either way, now I'm more worried about Appleseed and his association with Columbia house. 

Marjorie Suddard
8/5/20 10:25 a.m.

Ah, I thought Rico was kidding. And don't judge Appleseed--at least he paid off his copies of Now That's What I Call Music 11 through 15.

RevRico
8/5/20 10:47 a.m.

No, it was definitely me, but this phone is getting weirder.

Then I got replies from a later convo we had at like 3am, despite getting messages that were chronologically later in real time. 

Still have mystery no service issues when sitting next to Dana, same phone, same plan, polar opposite service levels.

Marjorie Suddard
8/5/20 10:48 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

That's a shame and all, but tell me about those chicken cutlets.

RevRico
8/5/20 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I bought "pork butt steaks" last week, and had no idea what to do with them. After much deliberation, I attacked them with a fork, dredged flour, buttermilk, then flour with cornmeal and spices, fried them in the cast iron and broiled for 10 minutes. Mndsms idea of a KFC or chick filet clone might have been a bit crisper.

Fatty, weird bones, but surprisingly tender and delicious.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
37rgmAYcSjGXcIlW4zbpYMHmhuN7wCR1qpeAOsJwAZGo0e9Nv4wNKjNZXHONlXuU