1 2 3 ... 9
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/21 1:34 p.m.

It's that time of year again! What time? Well, the time that we realize it's been like 9 months since the last model build for one, and over a year since the actual "contest" for two (as seen here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-forum-august-2020-model-car-challenge-contest/175323/page1/)...

So, let's do it again! Similar rules as before, you must build the whole car yourself during the contest period and post photos of progress here. Final entry photos by the close but everyone who makes progress can win door prizes. GRM has graciously agreed to sponsor again so there's prizes for the winner in each class and an Overall Winner (Last year's winners can be found here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/announcing-the-winners-of-the-official-grm-forum-model-car-contest/176545/page1/

With that, the classes!

Unfinished Business

For this class it is okay to start with something partially complete. The longer it's been sitting the better! The spirit of this class is to finish that one project that's been stuck in your que for ages. Show us what it looks like now and then bear down and get it finished.

Street Machine

This is the street car class. Last year we went for replicas of real cars, this year let's take a stab at something original, but it should be a street car. You want to Mad Max it or rat rod or bosozoku that's fine, just no race cars please.

Competition Car

Finally, we have the race cars. This is a catch-all class for racecars but to really get in to the spirit, go for a specific race competitor. Maybe try your hand at a little weathering to show as-raced? Body damage? A diorama of an epic victory perhaps?

As usual there will be door prizes for 2nd/3rd in each class (feel free to throw in to help regulars).

Contest starts Monday November 1st and concludes midnight New Year's Eve so you have 2 full months to make it!

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
10/30/21 1:01 a.m.

What to choose, what to choose...

Oh! This would be a good one to bust out of a slump.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
10/30/21 5:23 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Great choice! I built that one last year. Not sure what I'll build this time, yet. 

solfly
solfly Dork
10/30/21 5:47 a.m.

Awesome! Now I've got to decide what to do! Oh, and do it.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/30/21 7:25 a.m.

I was like, "No way I can do one right now" but then saw this is a two month allotment. So yeah...maybe.

Funny, I was just thinking yesterday, "We haven't had a model car build thing for quite awhile". smiley

solfly
solfly Dork
10/30/21 7:43 a.m.

Was thinking about this but not sure on the theme?

kazoospec
kazoospec PowerDork
10/30/21 8:08 a.m.
solfly said:

Start it this morning, glue something wrong, get frustrated.  Start is again tomorrow as a "stalled project".  Bam! Problem solved.  

10/30/21 9:51 a.m.
kazoospec said:
solfly said:

Start it this morning, glue something wrong, get frustrated.  Start is again tomorrow as a "stalled project".  Bam! Problem solved.  

Benswen
Benswen Reader
10/30/21 10:03 a.m.

I'm in!  Now what to build...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
10/30/21 9:27 p.m.

I am in, with one build that fits 2.5 classes. Stalled project, street "car" and it will tow a race car. Photos will post when I take them tomorrow, I have never documented any of it. Started in 1990.

10/30/21 10:41 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I am in, with one build that fits 2.5 classes. Stalled project, street "car" and it will tow a race car. Photos will post when I take them tomorrow, I have never documented any of it. Started in 1990.

If you can nail all 3 classes with 1 build I will personally mail you a kit!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/31/21 11:39 a.m.

Well now you've gone and done it. Called my bluff. I will finally get to that large scale Vette for the street class. Damn you!

solfly
solfly Dork
10/31/21 12:16 p.m.

Ordered the plow truck 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
10/31/21 8:02 p.m.

A couple photos of the "starting" point. I bought the resin body and a re-issue 49 Ford kit at NNL East over 30 years ago and dove right in when I got home. The stopping point was the inability to make the doors work with scale hinges. The cargo door, on the other hand works great using Walthers brand HO barn door hinges. This will have a Kurtis V8-60 midget on a trailer when done. Midget and trailer finished a few years ago. Cadillac engine, of course. Forward interior details undecided yet.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/21 9:06 a.m.

I will go pull something out this afternoon.  I'm finishing up a die cast of the car we raced at Daytona in 1995 for a friend. I have a second set of decals for a model but keep putting off trying to make the V6 for it. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/2/21 8:52 a.m.

Did you ever finish the Homer Simpson truck?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/2/21 9:22 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The homemade decals went wrong, I'm having a set printed by someone else.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/2/21 9:23 a.m.

I managed to finish the stockcar yesterday. 

Benswen
Benswen Reader
11/2/21 2:37 p.m.

Building this:

As the "Danpala" Dan Gurney's '61 Impala:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkwmeYx1xr4

Need some 4-slot steelies and a good way to make "meatballs" for the numbers on the side.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/2/21 2:52 p.m.
solfly said:

that one is probably already rusty

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/2/21 9:22 p.m.

It's started.

1975 Vette Street Custom, 1:20 scale. Parts from three MPC Corvette kits. Engine and trans from SS Camaro (LT1, 6Speed). Wheels and tires too. Though I may try my hand at 3d printing some wheels. I'm upset however that the flares that were supposed to be in the 75 kit were not present. So I'm bidding on a built car on eBay.

I had to trim the front fenders to fit the 82 nose and remove the rear bumper since it was molded into the 75 body, unlike the integrated spoiler of the 82.

The hood had a more pronounced leading edge so I'm making it more L88 like. Or vents. Not sure yet.

I'm really liking the louvers.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/7/21 3:26 a.m.

Yeah... I can throw in on this, and maybe even finish. . I bought this awful Donk'd regal a few years back and hoped to "unpimp zee auto" as it were using this grand prix as a suspension donor. I didn't get very far but this might be a great excuse to dust it off.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/7/21 9:23 a.m.

Plow truck came in. Coming up with a plan.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
11/7/21 10:17 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

solfly
solfly Dork
11/7/21 10:24 a.m.

Well that certainly deserves consideration...

Was thinking something like this:

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qtHGsdjL9UKqViZ2pOXbzyJaSGVXNgEPm95PdG9qXh0LNTz4pJI9zmFLAK0weZYS