1 2
aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
5/16/11 10:32 a.m.

I am going to guess it is right here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?queensborough+bridge

Looking at street view for a block up you can see there is no guard rail on the turn the the curb looks to be a rather low.

There is a potential area on the other end of the bridge (a tight 90 deg turn after a long run on the bridge, but there do not appear to be any shops in the "landing zone".

Other side

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/11 10:36 a.m.

To Da Googles!

Doesn't look like too big a deal, but I could see that if you came through there at 60 in a FWD car and lifted mid corner without knowing how to catch it, that you could find yourself in trouble. The transition alone could cause some problems for the average motorist.

Also, from the second linked article:

"Palacio, whose left arm also was severed, was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where Riddell has been treated since last week. Palacio -- who's license had been suspended six times for speeding and failure to pay fines -- was arrested and charged as an aggravated unlicensed operator."

Sounds like it isn't the VW's fault, but perhaps the loose nut behind the wheel?

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
5/16/11 10:45 a.m.

I am not sure that is the spot. I don't see the check cashing place, or the stairs shown in the pictures.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
5/16/11 11:44 a.m.

Agreed on the comments that some of these drivers have a tendency to prove something. While at stop light the other night I had some guy in a newer A4 2.0T with Injen stickers & a BOV try & jump on me (driving my very stock 4 door Si) when there were 2 cars in front of each of us. We didn't even notice this guy next to us until he attempted to launch into the car in front of him letting the BOV make fun sounds. We just shook our heads.

Scott
Scott Dork
5/16/11 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Salanis:

The writer loses all credibility by using the term "Beamer" instead of "Bimmer."

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
5/16/11 5:13 p.m.
MA$$hole wrote: Agreed on the comments that some of these drivers have a tendency to prove something. While at stop light the other night I had some guy in a newer A4 2.0T with Injen stickers & a BOV try & jump on me (driving my very stock 4 door Si) when there were 2 cars in front of each of us. We didn't even notice this guy next to us until he attempted to launch into the car in front of him letting the BOV make fun sounds. We just shook our heads.

I've noticed this too in the Boston area with German car owners. GTIs, Audi's, Bimmers, Mini's (British flag isn't fooling me! ). They're worse than the ricers around here.

redrabbit
redrabbit New Reader
5/16/11 6:10 p.m.

I like the more density theory. I think Pontiac (GrAm) drivers are worser.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/11 6:10 p.m.

I remember when I had my NG900 Turbo.. I went through the ezpass lane on the Atlantic City Expressway with an Audi in the next lane. Both about the same HP.. he tried to get the jump on me from the 15mph we rolled through the booth at...

I was not going to do a thing until he showed that he had something to prove...

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
5/16/11 6:39 p.m.
redrabbit wrote: I like the more density theory. I think Pontiac (GrAm) drivers are worser.

Wasn't it a Dave Coleman article that once said if someone mentions 'go kart like handling' and "Grand Prix" in the same sentence, you should knee them in the nuts?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/17/11 12:14 a.m.
Scott wrote: In reply to Salanis: The writer loses all credibility by using the term "Beamer" instead of "Bimmer."

The ghosts of my ancient BMWs call to me..and tell me that Scott's right. As much as I love Tom and Ray's radio show, I have to admit that they're guys that are trying to help the folks that think of cars as "appliances", and that they accept the social stereotypes of various marques without question.

In my BMWCCA days (no space on purpose, y'all who have been members of that club for long enough know why), "Beamers" were the bikes. We called the cars "Bimmers". If the members of that club ever restore that distinction (and of course, if you pack of berkeleying enablers finally convince me just to cave in and find a half-decent E30), I'll be back. Hell, at least they didn't whine about admitting folks with Bangle designed cars like the PCA folks did about membership for Cayenne owners..

friedgreencorrado
5/17/11 12:27 a.m.
redrabbit wrote: I like the more density theory. I think Pontiac (GrAm) drivers are worser.

You may be on to something here..I've never had a guy in an import try to run me at a stoplight (I'm in a VW Corrado VR6). But I've seen so many Grand Am drivers see that VW badge on the back and go nuts. It's like they're thinking "..oh, not a Honda, I'm GUNNA KICK HIZ ASS!".

I have to admit that I was stupid enough on occasion to prove the idiot was wrong, instead of just chilling out and letting him do his thing..

Also have to say that after I knocked off the VW badge at a local car wash (tried to catch it, but it was down the drain before I could drop the wand), I haven't had a single Grand Am try to run me. Sure helps me deal with my temptations..

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
5/17/11 7:25 a.m.

Years ago working at Autozone we had a kid come in thinking his 95/96 Grand Am GT was the fastest thing on the local streets. He was quoted to saying "I can take anything". I unwillingly blurted out "I'll run you & beat you", really without thought it just came out. When he asked what I had I pointed to my 95 Cherokee, never did run him but I think the Jeep would have won.

mad_machine
5/17/11 7:29 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Scott wrote: In reply to Salanis: The writer loses all credibility by using the term "Beamer" instead of "Bimmer."
The ghosts of my ancient BMWs call to me..and tell me that Scott's right. As much as I love Tom and Ray's radio show, I have to admit that they're guys that are trying to help the folks that think of cars as "appliances", and that they accept the social stereotypes of various marques without question. In my BMWCCA days (no space on purpose, y'all who have been members of that club for long enough know why), "Beamers" were the bikes. We called the cars "Bimmers". If the members of that club ever restore *that* distinction (and of course, if you pack of berkeleying enablers finally convince me just to cave in and find a half-decent E30), I'll be back. Hell, at least they didn't whine about admitting folks with Bangle designed cars like the PCA folks did about membership for Cayenne owners..

I agree.. I still call the cars Bimmers and the Bikes Beamers. Not sure when all BMWs became Beamers... but I kinda hate it.

Some Post Bangle cars have grown on me. 1st gen Z4 and the E92 being the best... sorry, but the 5 and 7 were way beaten with the ugly stick and I will not get into what they did to the 6er

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
5/17/11 2:45 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Probably less to do with the cars and more to do with the people that buy them.

Quoted for the amount of win in that statement.

mad_machine
5/17/11 7:48 p.m.

sadly true...

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/17/11 8:00 p.m.

as a point of sharing here..... i had a kid who worked for me with a grandam gt with "ram air" his words not mine. i one day got so tired of hearing him say that he can beat me that i actually said ok (knew of a closed section of highway) plan was 1/2 miles heads up. i dont think i need to share how that turned out.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/17/11 8:00 p.m.

as a point of sharing here..... i had a kid who worked for me with a grandam gt with "ram air" his words not mine. i one day got so tired of hearing him say that he can beat me that i actually said ok (knew of a closed section of highway) plan was 1/2 miles heads up. i dont think i need to share how that turned out.

friedgreencorrado
5/17/11 11:38 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
The ghosts of my ancient BMWs call to me..and tell me that Scott's right. As much as I love Tom and Ray's radio show, I have to admit that they're guys that are trying to help the folks that think of cars as "appliances", and that they accept the social stereotypes of various marques without question. In my BMWCCA days (no space on purpose, y'all who have been members of that club for long enough know why), "Beamers" were the bikes. We called the cars "Bimmers". If the members of that club ever restore *that* distinction (and of course, if you pack of berkeleying enablers finally convince me just to cave in and find a half-decent E30), I'll be back. Hell, at least they didn't whine about admitting folks with Bangle designed cars like the PCA folks did about membership for Cayenne owners..
mad_machine wrote: I agree.. I still call the cars Bimmers and the Bikes Beamers. Not sure when all BMWs became Beamers... but I kinda hate it.
IIRC, (I was actually there at the time, but did a lot of drugs then.. ) It was BMW's desire to move "upmarket" in the early to mid 1980s. There was a lot of new money flowing in the economy then (I'll keep my mouth shut about that, to keep this from becoming yet *another* political thread), and BMW decided to do what Mercedes & Porsche had done in the 1960s. Add leather interiors & power windows, and suddenly Germany's taxicabs (Merc), little roadsters (Porsche), and cool little sedans (BMW) were no longer just well engineered & reliable cars, but signs of social success as well. I bought my first 2002 in 1979, and my grey market 6cyl E21 in about 1982 or so (and bought my ratty E3 about six months after the E21). I used to have to tell non-enthusiasts that BMW didn't stand for "British Motor Works", and when they found out they were German cars, they were mystified. I descibed them as "..kinda like a Mercedes, but they handle better." IIRC, BMW came "late to the game", but all of us who loved them in the late 70s-early 80s saw that they actually *did* do the "upmarket" thing. By about 1984 or so, there were a lot of people who just bought them for the badge. I think this is when the "Beamer"/"Bimmer" difference just dang near dissappeared.
mad_machine wrote: Some Post Bangle cars have grown on me. 1st gen Z4 and the E92 being the best... sorry, but the 5 and 7 were way beaten with the ugly stick and I will not get into what they did to the 6er
Good looking cars, I just wish they'd make the "kidneys" smaller again. I really think Pontiac was copying BMW's look when they started with the two-hole front grille, and I find it funny that most modern BMWs look like those Grand Ams we were talking about. That being said, I kinda dig the look of the new BMW 1-series.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T3JCiCd4RHqTPBMDHN17Vn8SQDPIJNrjvE6djCCEDjXTFjwNj9eo6wDsQik69CVl