1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
JS154
JS154 New Reader
1/16/21 5:32 p.m.

Actual FLYSLOT 1:32 model of my actual car as it competed in 2007 

NOTE GRM DECAL :-)

100% correct as to how the car was in August 2007. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/16/21 9:10 p.m.

As expected, the Tomy SS100 is finished early. Real easy build, but I always have nits to pick. The radiator does not reach the top of the grill shell, by about 3 scale inches, and the engine itself is kinda plain. The Matchbox engine is far better (see maroon car in pic) but the body shape around the cowl area is far better on the Tomy. Wheels and grill mesh make the over all impression far better. I built this straight out of the box, no extra detail.

rolsen01
rolsen01 New Reader
1/17/21 6:02 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

it is not and thanks, 100% 3d printed (kit).. that I designed in CAD

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/18/21 9:43 a.m.

Moving on... With the SS100 complete full attention is now given to the 037.  Struggling still with pinholing along all of the area you see sanded through the primer. All of the rest of the body is perfect after removing the copious mold lines and squaring up the bottom of the front where the photo etched splitter is glued on. Fitting the roll cage is a chore too, as all the parts are big in both diameter and length. The beauty of the white metal is that you can bend things quite a bit without a fracture, and no spring back at all.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/21 5:01 p.m.

Still no Ferrari in the mail. So I went to the independent hobby store about 45 minutes out of town and found this instead. Go big or go home. No I will not be done by the end of the month! 8-)

Big block twin turbo and side pipes FTW! 1:20 scale. Planning stage has commenced.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/21 1:35 p.m.

Chrome done, clear coat done.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/21 7:00 p.m.

It's a slow go, but we're making a little progress.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/19/21 8:31 p.m.

Pin holes conqueredsmiley DuPont #402L in a double wet coat and it is almost decal ready. Interior progressing as well. The nice thing about the 1/43 scale is how little time it takes to polish or sand bodywork. One fender of a 1/24th car takes as long as this whole body.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/21 8:41 p.m.

Well now, the Ferrari showed up today. Got my work cut out for me for sure. Y'all are doing some nice work. The Vette would look good behind the Raptor I did in no glue November.

1/19/21 10:02 p.m.

All done!

Hot Wheels for scale

This was fun. I have a 1/20 kit for next time.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
1/20/21 9:33 a.m.

My 51 Chevy is done, front end fits like crap but I'm happy with the look overall. 

I'm excited to see the odd-scale entries this month! What's been posted so far looks great. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/20/21 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

I love the exhausts sticking out the sides. Proper gasser look.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
1/20/21 4:22 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Thanks! They were included in the kit as were the slicks and chrome reverse wheels. This is one of the classic 3 in 1 kits and has a pretty good selection of optional parts. 

Claff
Claff Reader
1/21/21 2:49 p.m.

Forgot about the most frustrating part of model building in January, trying to get paint to behave itself shooting in a 50 degree garage. Ah well, at least I got started. Fingers crossed it comes out OK.

EDIT

Still haven't made up my mind on color combo for this '32. I definitely want a two-tone, with black fenders. I'd like a period-correct body color and was leaning towards grey. I have a lighter grey that appears to be very close to the primer I've already used, and I have a charcoal grey that I used on the interior of the Expedition police snap kit from our previous venture. Charcoal has the current vote but I wonder if it won't contrast enough with the black fenders.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/21 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Auto World Thunderjet for the win!  Now if AW would just tighten up the chassis tolerances a bit...

And paint the blower belt, it helps.

Scott

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/21 5:05 p.m.
JS154 said:

Actual FLYSLOT 1:32 model of my actual car as it competed in 2007 

NOTE GRM DECAL :-)

100% correct as to how the car was in August 2007. 

Now that is really nice!  When a slot car is made in the likeness of your race car! yes

Scott

1/21/21 6:28 p.m.
noddaz said:

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Auto World Thunderjet for the win!  Now if AW would just tighten up the chassis tolerances a bit...

And paint the blower belt, it helps.

Scott

Their first runs of chassis were great (without the traction magnet). The new ones are... good to hold bodies up in a display case or collection.

Totally forgot the belt! blush

Claff
Claff Reader
1/21/21 8:42 p.m.

Paint has happened.

Primer went on, then I came here to whine about paint in borderline too-cold conditions.

Mulled over using this 30 year old unopened can of light grey paint, but then talked myself into using the charcoal instead.

This picture actually has three different colors: the fenders are black, the wheels and dashboard are charcoal, and the interior tub is primer grey. This is very hard to photograph because, as you'll see, the charcoal is almost black in pictures without using the flash, and almost primer grey when using flash. The wheels and tires are molded together, so I shot them with charcoal to make the wheels match the body color, and I'll have to go back and paint the tires black later.

I'm very happy to report that the paint on both the body and the fenders came out very nicely, but I have to restrain myself from handling everything until the paint has set up (it's still surprisingly tacky even a few hours after laying the paint down). I shot this photo with the flash so the body looks a lot lighter; it's actually the same color as the wheels below it. There is adequate contrast between the body and the fenders but it probably won't be evident until final assembly, and assuming I can adequately photograph it.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/21/21 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

That looks pretty classy so far!

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
1/22/21 7:24 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

I've found that Testors enamel can take WEEKS to finally cure/harden. That's the main reason I try not to use it. 

Claff
Claff Reader
1/22/21 10:33 a.m.

I wound up not using that Testors paint at all. This is what I used for the charcoal, which is still unhandleably tacky this fine morning.

This is the paint that I used for the interior of my police Expedition for November's snap-together build, and I recall having the same concern about the paint taking a long time to set up then as well. On the plus side, it did finally harden well enough to finish building the car, though I can't remember exactly how long that was. Also, I was probably less careful about handing interior pieces relative to how I expect to handle my Deuce's actual body.

In hopes of accelerating the paint hardening process, I've taken the parts out of my 62 degree house and placed them in the greenhouse known as a 2008 Honda Fit in the driveway. It might not get appreciably warmer than the inside of the house (forecasted high of 52 degrees this afternoon), but I'm hoping the direct sunlight concentrated underneath the biggest windshield in automotive history will scoot the process along. Or melt everything into a single unit and I'll have modern art to show off here instead of an antique Ford.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/22/21 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

Melt down is a very real concern in a sun drenched car.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/22/21 4:04 p.m.

This was slightly tedious.

First time I've worked with photo etched parts. The wire wheels are 2 pieces. The inner piece is flat. The outer piece you have to bend into sort of a cone and sit it on top to make the depth appearance. Then the outer plastic rim goes on, topped off by those itty bitty knock-offs. Which naturally I dropped one on the floor. I'll not share the words I used a that moment. I did find the errant one though.

I can hardly wait to do the windshield wipers and rear view mirror.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/22/21 8:23 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Make sure you put that one on the right side. That is one of the few kits I have seen that has proper left and right knock offs. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/22/21 9:35 p.m.

Sweet fancy Moses...I'd have never thought of that.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RozBJN5i0Ws5cCTtMODDru83NpylkUzfWCzJsYY4omt8UghPZZmIU7zdIaICqmev