No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/18/22 9:34 p.m.

So the Yin and Yang  continues...

The good:

- Gallbladder surgery went well and I didn't need anything stronger than Advil at home, and nothing for pain the 2nd day after surgery

- My father surgery went really well and waiting on pathology. Spoke to him today and he sounded better than before the surgery.

- Kiddo #1 has the Ram running a driving after rebuilding it from his accident

- Kiddo #1 did front struts on my sisters  Sportage today and things went smoothly.

The Bad:

- I need to get the yard cleaned up this week to get ready for party after Kiddo #2s bar mitzvah next Saturday.

-The cleanup includes having to hide the parts truck if it doesn't sell, but the fuel pump isn't working. It was working when I brought it home, so maybe a bad connection.

- I need to move snowmobiles, but a couple don't run, and I am not supposed to overdo it.

- the driveway company that was supposed to do my driveway is no returning calls

- My sister was using my Jeep this week (her Sportage had a broken coil spring, hence the strut replacement), since I was home recovering and caught the rear fender on the carport at my other sisters house.

So hopefully the hive can help tip things back to even or maybe in favor of the good.

My sister offered to pay to have the damage fixed, but it's a 2007 and the paint isn't perfect (color is mismatched in certain light). I don't want to see her pay to pay a ridiculous amount to fix it. 

Here's some photos of the damage (not great since it was dark out):

As you can see the damage is focused around the wheel opening. So I was thinking if I can find some flares for it that aren't obnoxiously large, then I could do a little work to straighten, touch up the fender enough to prevent rust, and camouflage the damage with the flare. 

I'm thinking something like this might work:

But....

I have what might be the only Jeep model that no one makes flares for in 2022. 

TL:DR

Anyone know where to get flares for a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited? Looking to cover the damage without being overbearing.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/22 7:47 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/19/22 9:22 a.m.

My only caution is that your generally pedestrian road-going tires are going to look oddly small if you add wide flares.  

Sample of F150 with flares but still wearing stock sized tires

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/19/22 9:27 a.m.

Around here our paintless dent guys could get that looking decent for $300-500.  I would swing by a few of your smaller used car dealers and ask who they use for cleaning up this sort of thing.  

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/20/22 9:59 a.m.

I'll have to check with the paint less dent guys, but maybe the bumper guys are who I should talk to, since it's more the chipped paint on body to bumper/fender interface that stands out most. 

The fiberglass flares are nice, but overkill for what I'm looking to do. The Bushwacker flares for the newer GC look like the ideal since they don't add a lot of width, and just cover a couple inches around the wheel opening. I wonder how different the opening are, I may have to do some research. 

I am planning to replace the tires in the fall so it should fill out the wheel wells a little better. I want to go from the budget all seasons installed by the dealer that are undersized compared to factory recommendations. I'm thinking a more aggressive 4 season with the 3PSF rating (maybe vredenstein) in factory size 245/65/17 rather than a separate set of snow tires. I've been looking at used wheels online so the sizing may change, but I want to make sure I meet the oversand requirements for cape cod (including  a spare matching size), so it may be easier to stick with factory size. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kjc9mSMhPkCGyp2raz7yBrvplXhWjvzQsb2mQqJnAGvhXAOynfFOnnHJG2uhJqXY