1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/28/19 9:50 a.m.

Sad to hear Jessi Combs was killed in a crash in the Alvord Desert ysterday while attempting a land speed record in a jet car.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28843412/jessi-combs-killed-in-land-speed-record-crash/

She was a hell of a car person, the real deal driver, mechanic, and builder. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/28/19 9:56 a.m.

RIP sad

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/28/19 10:02 a.m.

Wow. That sucks. sad

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/28/19 10:03 a.m.

That sucks. She was one of my favorite car related personalities because she had an awesome skill set instead of just a mouth.

Great fabricator, entrepreneur, and interesting person who did a lot for women in both the industry and the hobby.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/19 10:10 a.m.

I must admit I hadn't heard of her, but she sounds like a true badass. RIP.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/28/19 10:11 a.m.

I have to admit I wasn't aware of her.  It sounds like her death is a real loss.

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/28/19 10:11 a.m.

WOW, not good.  Loved Jessi.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/28/19 10:13 a.m.

Did not know she was from SD.

Going to miss following her adventures.

Pete

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/28/19 10:14 a.m.

This one sucks. Met her at a tradeshow eons ago. She wasn't just a TV presenter, she knew her E36 M3. She leaves a hell of a legacy in the industry.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 10:19 a.m.

Damn, RIP sad

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
8/28/19 10:22 a.m.

I have been on a kick lately of land speed record stuff.  I have over the past week looked up all the current guys who are trying to make 400+ mph runs it seems.   2 nights ago I was rereading Jessi's bio and seeing what they had going on.

Timing just seems crazy.  Shows how bad this stuff can be.  I wonder what speeds they were encroaching when stuff went wrong......

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/28/19 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

I haven't heard. I did read a statement by a guy who may have been her SO, or a team lead, or something. She had specifically expressed the fact she knew the dangers involved and if something went wrong, she wanted the team to carry on and turn into the event into a way to do good. Also they are apparently filming a documentary about the record attempt, and she wanted it to continue filming even if something went wrong.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/28/19 10:49 a.m.

Crap, she had depleted uranium ovaries for sure.  She did a lot of good to show it's not just a guys hobby with the grit, guts, and skill to back it up.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/28/19 11:19 a.m.

I was always impressed with her talents as a fabricator and TV personality/host. I didn't know she was into LSR. We lost a good one.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 11:22 a.m.

This is very sad news.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/28/19 11:36 a.m.

I always enjoyed her work on Extreme Off Road.  She had some skills.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/28/19 11:36 a.m.

Thought she was great on Extreme 4x4.  Lots of fab work on that show instead of just bolting on parts.

Will
Will UltraDork
8/28/19 11:37 a.m.

RIP. Never met her, but she seemed like a nice person from what I saw on TV.

Was this the car that was basically a wing-less F-104? That seemed sketchy from the beginning.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 11:39 a.m.

That's a like a punch in the gut, I am just sick.  Mythbusters, King of the Hammers...she did so many amazing things and was just so friendly and cool.  My day is ruined. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/28/19 11:41 a.m.

That's really too bad- she was awesome on all the car shows as a fabricator- and one should remember that she stood in with Mythbusters for a while, when Kari was having a baby.  She did a lot of fabrication there, too.  

Scary to watch those cars go that fast on the salt.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/28/19 11:42 a.m.
Will said:

RIP. Never met her, but she seemed like a nice person from what I saw on TV.

Was this the car that was basically a wing-less F-104? That seemed sketchy from the beginning.

Looks like it was that car.  I thought it was a bad idea when I first saw them working on it many years ago.  Hard to see that the team got other people involved like that....

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
8/28/19 11:44 a.m.

That's sad.  She is/was one of only a few women who are more than just a pretty face in the world of cars.  RIP

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/28/19 11:45 a.m.

Very sad.  Thoughts and prayers for those she leaves behind.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/28/19 11:51 a.m.

I remember her from Mythbusters but had no idea the motorsports work.  I had to look her up to be sure I had the right person.  Damn.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 11:56 a.m.

That's sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oSq3h97MLDsBuaXRRxwEbLDGz7BCeh04EPhYdpqKfscoRxvYEB9J2TEbeNGwzzKE