1 2
spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
5/17/18 8:58 a.m.

Not mine.  I just stumbled on it.  Even has a manual trans.  I remember John W. saying he was watching the prices dip, and thought one might show up at The Challenge soon.

Chrysler Crossfire 2004 - $2500 Tampa

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/chrysler-crossfire-2004/6585278384.html

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 9:14 a.m.

The biggest thing that keeps me from really perusing a Crossfire as a Challenger is that I really don't want to own a Crossfire. devil

However, one could be a good right out of the box Challenger.  

When they were new, and sales were really slow, they offered a complete stripper model which retailed new for something like $19,999.  This strippers only came in black and are easiest to distinguish from afar by the fact that the windshield surround was not chrome.  

Always black, no chrome surround, only black cloth, always manual.  

Sample of stripper asking $6.5k

Sample of rough stripper asking $2k.   Caution: headlights for these are expensive.    Eby Headlight: $200.  Ebay Headlight: $365  New are $650 -$700

You could also get black exterior as a Non stripper which then had Chrome and leather.  

slefain
slefain PowerDork
5/17/18 9:36 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 9:43 a.m.

Also, if shopping one for The Challenge, specifically look for one with bad tires.  These have an odd combination of 18x7.5 front and 19x9 rear.  Due to this, a new set of tires to the average consumer will run near $1k.  This need could be enough for many people to just sell the damn car.  

However, by Challenge rules, 4 tires do not have to go into budget.  So, Crossfire ownership is not really cheap but by the rules it can be low budget.  Furthermore, I would sell off the unique Crossfire wheels and try to source some cheap Benz cast-offs as the competition wheels.    

Dave
Dave Reader
5/17/18 9:47 a.m.

These are almost all still over $10K here. sad

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 9:54 a.m.
Dave said:

These are almost all still over $10K here. sad

Crossfire owners are nearly as delusional as Maserati Biturbo owners.  They figure it must be worth a lot, because they paid a lot.  However, not really the case.  In Crossfires the automatics have some desirability but it seems that the manuals go completely unwanted. 

Who does the manual trans version appeal to?

• Sports car buyers?  Not really a sports car and there are better choices.
  • Young guys? What young guy goes looking for a Chrysler?
  • The Country Club/Yacht Club set?  Usually too old to want a manual. Further more, this old Chrysler/Benz bastard child does not have enough influence to impress The Jones'.  
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/17/18 9:56 a.m.

I know I may be in the minority, but I actually like the look of those. 

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
5/17/18 10:04 a.m.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that actually likes how they look.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/17/18 10:05 a.m.

Part of the reason I started a thread a while back about them was the "active spoiler" that I don't think anyone here has mentioned. 

Is it just for looks? Did it wind up not working at all? 

I might be wrong, I usually am, but wasn't this the first "consumer grade" vehicle with an active spoiler? 

Or am I just confusing "active" with "push button"?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 10:05 a.m.
SVreX said:

But, like the rest of us here, you're not right in the head!  

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/18 10:13 a.m.
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/17/18 10:40 a.m.
RevRico said:

Part of the reason I started a thread a while back about them was the "active spoiler" that I don't think anyone here has mentioned. 

Is it just for looks? Did it wind up not working at all? 

I might be wrong, I usually am, but wasn't this the first "consumer grade" vehicle with an active spoiler? 

Or am I just confusing "active" with "push button"?

VW Corrado had active aero, as did the 3KGT VR4 and probably - maybe? the Stealth too.  

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
5/17/18 10:46 a.m.

I came here thinking Crossfire Injection,  and was wondering if the thread was old or if all the C4 action was just in my head. I forgot about these. The local mall had one in the main "commons" area for about a year... Enter your name in the bucket to win... I don't think anyone wrote their name, because nobody ever won.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/17/18 10:51 a.m.
SVreX said:

I think they look cool. The interior is a major let-down, but the exterior looks great. 

There. I said it

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
5/17/18 10:54 a.m.
DrBoost said:
SVreX said:

I think they look cool. The interior is a major let-down, but the exterior looks great. 

There. I said it

Put me in the odd group who likes the styling too.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/17/18 10:54 a.m.
barefootskater said:

I came here thinking Crossfire Injection,  and was wondering if the thread was old or if all the C4 action was just in my head. I forgot about these. The local mall had one in the main "commons" area for about a year... Enter your name in the bucket to win... I don't think anyone wrote their name, because nobody ever won.

That would be a good challenge--the Crossfire squared! Stick a crossfire engine in a crossfire.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/17/18 10:56 a.m.
DrBoost said:
SVreX said:

There. I said it

Are there 12 step programs for guys like us?

Will we have to hold hands?....

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/17/18 11:07 a.m.
SVreX said:
DrBoost said:
SVreX said:

There. I said it

Are there 12 step programs for guys like us?

Will we have to hold hands?....

I too think it looks good, but I'm not going to hold hands with Paul. He's probably got sweaty palms. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/17/18 11:18 a.m.

We are actively looking for a new Lemons car, and will have to expand the search to include these. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/18 11:42 a.m.
Sonic said:

We are actively looking for a new Lemons car, and will have to expand the search to include these. 

I think that's only allowed if the theme is based around the game:

Same for $challenge, must have a functional game in the rear hatch for concourse. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 11:45 a.m.
Sonic said:

Very tight seating area so be sure to test sitting before buying.  

I would recommend putting some research into how small (16"?) you can go with the wheels and still clear the brakes so that you can get a set of reasonable priced square tires for the racing.  Should be the same as the Benz SLK of the same vintage. 

These claim to be 13.5 Lb Benz CLK wheels wearing 225/50-16 Hoosier Drag Radials (now were talking!)  

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/17/18 11:51 a.m.

I wish D/C had gone down a retro styling path that took us to a modern Barracuda instead of... part Marlin, part Chris-Craft.

Dealing with the CAN bus implementation on these cars always sounded awful but they seem to stay on the road at the hands of people only tangentially interested in maintenance.  Probably impossible to strip the CAN bits away and still have a car with working HVAC, power windows, etc, right?  I have no interest in doing anything with one of these, just idle thoughts.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/18 1:10 p.m.

Cheapest one around here is a 6-speed with some front end damage for $2600. Can't say I like the coupes, but the roadsters aren't bad...

NickD
NickD UberDork
5/17/18 1:31 p.m.

I don't mind the styling. It's everything else I don't care for. Pity that ChryCo didn't put 5.7L Hemis in them from the factory. Theoretically, how much nitrous can the Merc V6 ingest before crying uncle? 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/17/18 3:36 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

There's only one way to find out 

The best way to find out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q0zdXup6bddbK3CXFznzePfvlarAkcxS0brDQqgY0rhBdNIP5Htfx6v4OoUGdVoq