1 2 3 ... 16
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/9/22 10:27 p.m.

Edit: Feel free to add your cat stories and pictures to this thread.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm sitting on the floor with G-Man. Not much else I can do. I don't think he will live to the morning. He has never liked being touched or held, but when I'm on the computer he sits on the desk by the monitor watching the screen and what I'm doing.  If I'm not busy typing or using the mouse he sometimes settles in between my arms and purrs for a while.

He is always curious and watching what I'm doing.  Never in the way, but always ready to lend a hand.

He's old. He was found as a feral living by a restaurant dumpster where he was rescued by the local humane society.  We adopted him uncounted years ago as the cat that nobody else would take.

Over the weekend,  I noticed that he was losing weight fast. He has always been skinny, but he is wasting away. Tonight he is weak. Will not eat. Chicken broth small bits of soft meat - after a sniff, he moves away. Breathing is labored, but he looks calm and comfortable.  There is no local vet open at night and I don't think that packing him for the journey would do him any good.

I know the he likes to be with me so I'll sit with him as long as I can.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/22 10:31 p.m.

Thoughts for you and G-Man.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
5/9/22 10:33 p.m.

My sympathies on the long and difficult night ahead of you.  For a feral cat to be adopted "uncounted years ago" and to like being with any human is an achievement.  Their life in the wild averages about 2 years.  G-man has had many lifetimes with you, and I'm sure that,could he speak or understand, he would want you to know you have been the best part of his life.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/22 10:36 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

You are doing the right thing. I sat with Cheese until he passed. G-Man had a good run because of you and you will always have that time together.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/22 10:56 p.m.

Good on you for spending the time to be a comfort to him. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/10/22 12:53 a.m.

You gave him something no one else would. You gave him a chance.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/22 2:16 a.m.

Losing a pet that depends on you for it's survival is very hard to take. Deciding to put them down is the hardest decision there is and my wife and I always wait way too long to help them end their suffering.

I feed all of the wildlife in our city neighborhood; birds, squires, rabbits, turkeys, cats, and once in a while deer. Our crazy dog was a rescue that sat at the animal shelter for over 6 months because of aggression to strangers, one young feral female cat who was living under a dead van in our yard that I fed all winter long and who my daughter watched getting pregnant, and a day before her due date right before a snow storm I trapped and put her in a kennel I built under the basement stairs. She had kittens the next morning and although she tried to kill us every chance she got, she eventually turned into the nicest cat ever along with her kittens, half of which we kept or gave to our kids. So currently, one dog and four cats.

There was another feral cat we rescued that was also young enough to eventually be domesticated and put up for adoption and a few I just feed but that won't come near me. My wife is just a little annoyed with me because I want to keep them all. Besides maybe your kids, pets will at least always love you.smiley

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/10/22 7:30 a.m.

Good that you found each other and have enjoyed all those years! 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/10/22 7:49 a.m.

The most difficult part of caring for a pet is the last part. Where you don't want them to go, but you know that it's best for them.

I don't know you and I don't know your cat, but I'm crying right now for both of you. I wish you both the best. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/22 7:53 a.m.

That's a great story. Thanks for making it his story. My thoughts are with you and your family. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/22 12:12 p.m.

G-Man is one handsome brown tabby. I'm so glad that he found you and welcomed you as his human. Sending love.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/10/22 1:13 p.m.

They're always and never "just a cat." Even the one that I had for only a month or two at end of life still lives on with me in my mind.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/10/22 2:44 p.m.

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts. His journey is complete. Peace.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/22 2:50 p.m.

Sorry to hear that, Good Cat.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
5/10/22 3:08 p.m.

As with all cats they do everything on their terms. He spent his last hours with you which shows you were as special to him as he was to you. Some cats have a hard time showing it but at some point you become more than "Staff" to them. It sounds like you had gotten that promotion.

*off to scratch my furry jerk behind the ears

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/10/22 4:35 p.m.

So sorry.  It was great of you to give him such a good life.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/22 4:40 p.m.

I never have the right words for these threads.  We "adopted" a feral cat as well, so you taking care of G-man hits home.  Thanks for giving him a good family, man.  I really am sorry for your loss.

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/10/22 4:43 p.m.

Dammit, it's dusty in here....

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 7:34 p.m.

Someone cutting an onion?

Damn.  Sorry, buddy.  

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/22 7:36 p.m.

Very dusty. So sorry for your loss.

(Note that as Im tying this im fighting a pair of 5 week old kittens my son rescured from his work, so the cycle will repeat.  These guys will be going home with my parents in a few weeks to 'replace' their 4 year old Maine Coon who died unexpectedly over the winter)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/22 8:19 p.m.

Some very nice tributes in here. Losing a pet day is the worst kind of day. Sorry for your loss. RIP G-man

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/10/22 8:28 p.m.

Godspeed G-Man. Say hi to Max for me. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 8:31 p.m.

Someone's been chopping a lot of onions in my office right now.

Sorry about your loss. They're never "just a cat".

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 8:32 p.m.

At least he chose his own time and didn't make you decide. Thanks for being there for him.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 8:50 p.m.

There are no words. 

I'm so sorry. 

1 2 3 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0NVTLqlAqSLdTNoEO61RFsMQQad6jp61FO6tor7exVVydvLVJGpchoD3lYc6HjlH