1 2 3
JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/15/13 12:21 p.m.

Welcome.

Due to my son, I am not really able to make any gatherings..but I am there in spirit(s). I need to step up

You are roughly within (3) hours away from Detroit/Indy/Louisville/Pittsburgh etc.

Sports are big here...we love our teams.

Too much to really list, just take some time and explore. First thing is to ask about what side of town you really don't want to be caught in...(SE side around I-70...you will hear about shootings around Miller-Kelton)

If you need anything, please let us know.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/15/13 12:25 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: Sports are big here...we love our teams.

Indeed, just remember that Indiana teams are infinitely better than those pesky ohio teams.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
11/15/13 12:38 p.m.

The parking tickets downtown are harsh...don't get one like I did when I was in town and got together for GRM Beer a few years back ;)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
11/15/13 1:27 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: Welcome sir, I'm usually down for a beer after work week days. St James or Studio 35 are easy for me to hit on the commute but I'm open to other locations too.

I do not know where those are, but I have no real plans for the rest of the afternoon.

I live west south west of the city just outside of the ringway.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
11/15/13 1:46 p.m.

St James is on 4th street near campus, good beer selection, pool table, good patrons.

Studio 35 is on Indianola in Clintonville, it's a single screen movie theater with a bar in the lobby. Great beer selection, good people. They also host beer tastings occasionally.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/13 2:12 p.m.

I really need to get to Studio 35 sometime. It is just about comfortable walking distance from me.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
11/15/13 2:19 p.m.

IIn reply to EvanB:

Well that is the current plan for this afternoon. We will be there about 6:15.

EvanB
11/15/13 2:58 p.m.

I'll have to see if I can make it out.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/15/13 3:08 p.m.

I was born in Columbus, but never lived there. Spent my first handful of years a little south in Circlevile.

There are some suprisingly good roads in SE Ohio.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/15/13 3:32 p.m.
mtn wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: I'm a bit too far south for a beer tonight, but welcome to the Buckeye state all the same! I will empty a Third Shift ceremonially on behalf of all Ohioans tonight as a toast to your triumphant arrival.
Bleach. Throw that down the drain.

your opinion is wrong

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
11/15/13 5:26 p.m.

I'm a couple of hours southwest in Middletown. Kids keep me a bit too busy for meets that aren't extremely local though.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
11/15/13 6:37 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote:
patgizz wrote: sorry to hear you are in columbus, it sucks there.
this^ can't wheel ANYWHERE, racing scene is all but dead, ZERO automotive nightlife (car club meets, show and shines etc) unless your rocking something mainstream or expensive (stangs, vettes, lambos). this is not really a GRM friendly place. at least, thats been my experience for the last year. on the upside, jobs are pretty good, basic freedoms arent bad, and i personally like the weather. i live in plain city, but work in S columbus, at coca-cola. i quit drinking though...sorry. -J0N

I'm close to you, just out side of Marysville, and have always known the Columbus / Central Ohio area to have a pretty active solo/road race scene. The waxer crowd can do a cruise-in or two any weekend in the summer. Heck, with the upcoming Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Center we'll soon be getting a motorsports mecca near downtown.

I don't know how it compares to other areas, but the racing/motorsports scene is far from dead around here.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/15/13 6:57 p.m.

Nice meeting you, I think you'll like it here.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
11/15/13 8:00 p.m.

Well met sir, you'll do just fine.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
11/15/13 10:20 p.m.

Good to meet you all too. Nice to have a few contacts when first moving to a new area.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/15/13 10:22 p.m.

In about 2 weeks, I would recommend you avoid wearing any combination of blue and yellow!

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
11/16/13 8:49 a.m.

Beer Baron, sorry I didn't read this yesterday, I spent the whole evening organizing in the garage when I coulda been drinking beer with a new friend. Well, tonight is a wedding I have to go to and I think tomorrow is pretty full but if you're up for a happy hour after work this week or something I would love to meet up.

Patgizz seems to have something against Columbus.. some people. ;-)

My favorite places right now:

The Coop (once she finally reopens COME ON! ;-) Dirty Frank's hot dogs (awesome totchos) Dosa Corner (amazing south Indian food)

asoduk
asoduk New Reader
11/16/13 3:15 p.m.

Coming VERY SOON to Columbus: http://gpindoor.com/

The owner is a NASA racer and instructor too, and is into both human powered and motorized bikes.

The best pizza is Adriatico's (11th and Neil).

Char Bar is my favorite, even after the hipsters found it and they got rid of their real juke box (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_On_Sloopy)

I also love the Blue Danube (high Street, north of campus), where there used to be a sign on the jukebox every night from 7:00 to 8:00 saying "No Jukebox, Simpsons at 7"

EvanB
11/16/13 5:12 p.m.

Wrong, the best pizza is Hounddogs.

The dube is great though, I went there for breakfast today.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
11/16/13 5:18 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Wrong, the best pizza is Hounddogs. The dube is great though, I went there for breakfast today.

Ditto on Hounddogs. Great pizza!! They get extra credit as the owner is just getting into autocross & track events too!

EvanB
11/16/13 7:16 p.m.

Is he driving one of the old Cadillacs they have parked behind the restaurant?

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/16/13 8:06 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
JFX001 wrote: Sports are big here...we love our teams.
Indeed, just remember that Indiana teams are infinitely better than those pesky ohio teams.

cough...IU...coughcough

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
11/16/13 8:38 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Wrong, the best pizza is Hounddogs. The dube is great though, I went there for breakfast today.

Wrong, Flying Pizza.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/16/13 9:05 p.m.

Isn't there some back of the bar pizza guy that was featured nationally? I can't remember if was was in the Short or not.

Gotta put in a plug for the Thurman...

EvanB
11/16/13 9:16 p.m.

Yea some guy that operated out of circus. Not sure if he is still around or not.

Clever crow pizza or something like that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RTqoyXo1FMJknEGPOaA4j2jB3Kk54Cc60qBunAqlqflRQVEh79S1lflR38grrzfW