1 2
SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer New Reader
2/18/10 6:26 a.m.

its a 79 & has a 350 and a 4-speed. the only power option is steering, & with 35/12.50-15's, i think it needs it. I finally have a parts chaser / tow / honey due, truck...& its got some off road potential.

btw, this brings my cylinder count to 32, not counting lawn equipment or the wife's car.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/18/10 6:33 a.m.

Complete with the John Deere plate! woohoo!

I'm a little jealous though, all those style trucks have returned to the earth up here

SillyImportRacer
2/18/10 6:54 a.m.

The Deere plate is now on the garage wall.

This one has had some patch work done in the floor (that will need to be redone in a few years) has some filler in the right 1/4 and an older scuff & squirt paint job and an assortment of old truck issues. but she fits the need/want.

Older trucks worth having are getting hard to find down here too. There seems to be a "its a truck so I done have to take care of it" aditude.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/18/10 7:03 a.m.
sillyimportracer said: Older trucks worth having are getting hard to find down here too. There seems to be a "its a truck so I done have to take care of it" aditude.

I have that attitude...

minimac
minimac Dork
2/18/10 7:47 a.m.

Well it sure looks almost redneck....just needs the gun rack.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/18/10 8:01 a.m.

Those bumpers need to be powdercoated flat black. I really like these older square trucks for some reason... I don't want to ever drive one at highway speeds for longer than 15 minutes but I would love to crash that thru the woods.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/18/10 8:24 a.m.

It has a sliding back window, so no need for a gun rack. In true redneck fashion, you can have one or the other. At least, that was redneck code in Texas.

Those era trucks all rot out the front quarter panels just in front of the door. There's a pocket there that leaves and water collect in. Some say GM put it there deliberately to sell replacement fenders. The other theory is that GM engineers were too stoopid to realise that a pocket there might collect leaves and water and rot out the fender.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/18/10 8:48 a.m.

What, no see through Rebel Flag? It is Georgia.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
2/18/10 8:56 a.m.

You've reminded me that I need to write some sort of ad for my GMC.

Sweet truck. If I had a use for mine, I'd hold onto it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
2/18/10 9:16 a.m.

Where's the Calvin peeing decal?

Need some Trucknutz too: http://www.truck-nuts.com/index.html

Shawn

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/10 9:22 a.m.

What're those big black bars behind the bumper about?

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/10 10:09 a.m.

Redneck push bar! Maybe somewhere to mount more off road lights.

davidjs
davidjs Reader
2/18/10 10:19 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: What're those big black bars behind the bumper about?

For a plow?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/10 10:28 a.m.

Looks good, but then I watched too many episodes of "The Fall Guy" when I was a kid.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/18/10 11:12 a.m.

Dah! I just noticed the shin biter off the back bumper. That frikkin smarts!

SillyImportRacer
2/18/10 11:24 a.m.
minimac wrote: Well it sure looks almost redneck....just needs the gun rack.

It's got one.

SillyImportRacer
2/18/10 11:33 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: What're those big black bars behind the bumper about?

It was like that when I bought it. But I figured having a 4" square tube with 1/4" wall behind the chrome bumper was worth having the other bars there lookin funny.

No plow...this is Georgia.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/10 11:37 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Looks good, but then I watched too many episodes of "The Fall Guy" when I was a kid.

I worked with the stunt driver that did the opening scene truck jump on the Fall Guy. By the time I met him, he had long since traded his exciting career for a nice safe desk job.

Fun fact. The 911 that the truck jumps over in the intro was his personal car…he figured that if he botched the jump, he wouldn’t be needing the 911 anymore so why not make a little more money by contracting it out.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/10 12:09 p.m.

that's logical.

My parents had a 76 "custom deluxe 10" that they bought new when I was a kid. If I remember correctly in a matter of a couple of years, it was totally rotted out. We needed a new car in 79 due to the rust. A nasty old Chrysler full size wagon was the result until we picked up a shiney white Chrysler Aspen Station Wagon in 1980.

Sad when a brand new vehicle only lasts three years.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
2/18/10 12:19 p.m.

Nice truck- now get that freakin' tow ball off there and lay it in the passenger floorboard where it's supposed to go (optional dirty ol' loggin' chain and/or trucker hat that says "CO-OP" on the front panel, too...).

Reminds me of the trucks grandpa had on his nursery farm when I was a kid. :)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/10 5:49 p.m.

2 live axles, check. 4-speed manual, check. 350 v-8, check. Leather, nope. dvd w/sat nav, nope. You have bought a real truck! Way to go!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
2/18/10 6:34 p.m.

ok to really make it the truck you need these things.....cherry bombs with duels, really good stero for the county music, the rebal flag somewhere, the big bank of KC lights and the CB!!!!! with 102" whips off the back bumper.... nice find though....

Opus
Opus Dork
2/19/10 12:05 a.m.

I had a 102" whip on my 73 courier. Made it look like a remote control car till I put the 76 ball on top. Made it real easy to find in parking lots.

SillyImportRacer
2/19/10 5:27 a.m.

I put an old cb in, it was prewired. For now it has a 4' Firestick on the rear bumper...the 102" whip is on my 69 Baja Bug.

& there is now a GRM bumper sticker on the rear bumper too.

No rebel flag yet. ...but my brother-in-law has one on his upper arm. Is that redneck enough?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
2/19/10 9:13 a.m.

Leave some empty pork rind bags on the floor and skoal tins in the box.

Pretty soon you'll be trolling for ass at the next family reunion.

Shawn

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ygbVVWfvFvT0iaAe81j5L550cVSlnlj2YLhIyv4tI4NEad5XKw4qVpMlIBRC5Pb