1 2 3 4
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/23/23 11:59 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I still feel like there are a few different types of homeless people, and this guy is in the "criminal who probably also has some mental issues but not enough of them to get stuck in a mental hospital, so he'll probably spend the rest of his life in jail at best, and probably hurt someone eventually between stints in jail at worst." 

One of my concerns about many cities losing ability to ban or make illegal street living is that it's very difficult to determine who the poor SOB who's down on his luck is from the criminal who's only one opportunity away from raping my daughter is. I don't think we should have to walk around in fear, nor with CCP, in our communities because we can't make that distinction. 

Personally, I think folks with criminal backgrounds need housing, and they need to be in it. GPS tracking tech is getting smaller and more accurate and personally, if you've committed crimes, you've earned the right to wear a non-removable bracelet with requirements that you aren't wandering around the local bars. 

Other types of homelessness and street living are a differnet topic altogether. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/23/23 12:08 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Adding a bit of an update because I got subpoenaed by the state over this. He is going to have a BAD time over this. 

Charges are from memory after talking with the DA. 

assault on a police officer. 

evading arrest 

giving a false name to a policy officer

felon in position of a weapon 

felon in possession of contraband. 

Something about being on parole at the this

something about not showing up for another case where he was being charged

Something about a third strike. 

So quick update again because I saw this float up again on the board. He has been locked up this whole time, parole was revoked and he has other trials to deal with before mine now as he jumped bail. (Free bail I might add did not check in) 

He has a public defender who filled about half a dozen court dates to show that he is incompetent to stand trial. He has been charged before so it did not hold up. Then they claimed that he was medically incompetent to stand trail and that did stick. So he is in jail for the foreseeable future and when he is medically "better"he will stand trial if he is not alrady locked up forever on the other charges that I do not have access too. Dude knows how to play the game so its all wait and see now. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/23/23 5:57 p.m.

If it makes you feel better, we had some fun with a guy in our neighborhood. 20-something that got into drugs, was kicked out by his parents (who live here) years ago and was either incarcerated or living in the woods behind the neighborhood. 

His priors are drug related, breaking into cars, etc. He's been spotted walking down the road by the neighborhood naked high as a kite. (I think meth) and generally being suspicious as hell and visibly high wandering the neighborhood.

A church next to the neighborhood was trying to help him, had been letting him into services, food, etc.

before the service one week he accosted two 9yo girls who's parents were there early to set up for the services. With a machete. Saying "god doesn't want #racial epitaph I won't even type# in his church. Then accosted parents who responded before fleeing into the woods. After a search he resisted arrest. 

As with your case, he was deemed mentally incompetent to stand trial. So I guess we're going to holding pattern to see what will eventually happen. He's been on a revolving door for a long time with jail. The thing is the neighborhood is really great and quiet other than him.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jWLQhDC2X9vVpnYh4RcS1IiwFuQAE79Dj2BhhgTJ2pBGIp9ayTdfGmdcz6fTeBak