1 2 3 4
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/22/23 3:46 p.m.

Ok, I have been eyeing one of the various Kei trucks because they're cool. The load carrying capacity and size of the bed would work for 90% of what I do. 
But I'm left wondering why anyone would pull the trigger on one. From what I see, the entry price is about $7K. $10K gets you a much better vehicle. At these price points, they are usually a 2, 3, or 3.5 condition rating, meaning they are basically used up or needing a fair bit of attention. For $7K I can get a full-sized truck that has years of life left.  Naturally someone that's interested in a Kei isn't cross shopping an F350 LOL.  But maybe a Ranger or a Dakota, then you can actually take it on a highway when the need arises. I can see a lot of times that I want to go pick up some hardwood that won't fit in the minivan, but it's too far away to take a Sambar. 
Am I missing something? If you have one, why did you chose that over a compact pickup?

Gary
Gary UberDork
5/22/23 4:32 p.m.

I can't comment on a kei truck, although they are very cool. I would love a kei car, especially a Suzuki Cappuccino. But my state DMV won't allow any kei vehicles to be registered, or for that matter, any vehicle that wasn't eligible for registration when new, even if 25 years or older, and even if the Feds say it's OK. The state registrar thinks he knows better. Incidentally, we're not alone. There are other states like that. sad

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/22/23 5:00 p.m.

Some people don't have unlimited places to store / park their vehicles.

Having an 80's mini-truck (which is not that much bigger than a Kei, carrying wise, and way small than a current "mini" truck), I can tell you, 90% of what most people would use a truck for (even excluding the trips to the mall and work) can be done with a mini truck.  Towing really is the primary downside.  Not sure what percentages of owners use a truck to tow, but it has to be very small.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/22/23 5:01 p.m.

I don't know anyone who has chosen a Kei truck as a daily street driver instead of a more common pickup.  Too many DMV issues, probably insurance, driveability, resale, etc.

Kei trucks seem to be used for promotional opportunities, off road uses (like farm or grounds keeping ), or situation where the smaller footprint matters (like institutional maintenance where they are driven on sidewalks, etc)

I think they'd be kinda awful to drive regularly on the highway. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/22/23 5:34 p.m.

Top speed is pretty limited with them. What I usually see them being used for is comparable to a John Deere Gator type vehicle. Homestead management, amusement park support, manufacturing facility maintenance. Maybe if I lived in one of those retirement communities with golf carts everywhere I'd have one just to be different. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
5/22/23 5:44 p.m.

I have one instead of a side by side/gator.  I use it around the property, haul stuff, plow, etc. It's great for that purpose, tops out at 45 mph or so, so will not replace a "real" truck if you use it on a daily/semi weekly basis.

Buy in was also $4500 for a nice one a few years ago, vs $10k.  My main purpose was to have heat when I plow the driveway.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/22/23 6:49 p.m.
SV reX said:

I don't know anyone who has chosen a Kei truck as a daily street driver instead of a more common pickup.  Too many DMV issues, probably insurance, driveability, resale, etc.

Kei trucks seem to be used for promotional opportunities, off road uses (like farm or grounds keeping ), or situation where the smaller footprint matters (like institutional maintenance where they are driven on sidewalks, etc)

All of this.  I have a Kei van.  Why? because its fun and different.  And I got it with 34k on the clock for a very good price so condition wise its excellent.  But its not a DD especially not if you need to drive above 50mph.  Mine will do 65 but even with a 5 speed its screaming too much for my liking at that speed.

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/23 7:58 p.m.

Something else to consider is the lack of protection they provide the driver.  There is little to nothing to keep the occupants safe if the front of the truck hits anything.  This probably isn't an issue in the farm use application but in real traffic it might be a cause for concern.  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/23/23 8:06 a.m.

You are the airbag in a Kei truck.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/23 8:15 a.m.

In reply to GeddesB :

It's no different than my other 3 cars for that. For me not a big concern. I went a class up and got a high winding sub compact JDM car. Smaller than a miata and no airbags. 

If I do pull the trigger on the land I'm looking at then I'll be getting one for sure. To me it's not a replacement for a normal car/truck but a replacement for a gator that I can take for a run into town if needed legally. Something I can't do in a gator/RZR. They are really handy for that kind of work and not much wider and in some cases narrower. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
5/23/23 12:02 p.m.

These reasons pretty much sum up why my parents have one. I imported it myself for them for a little less than $5k all in (in 2018, I think), and it pretty much serves as a farm truck for their little hobby farm. The AWD in the Acty works well and it doesn't have any trouble with soft fields or other small obstacles. It's really great for moving fence posts, hay bales, feed, junk, etc, and you can take it in to town to go to the store. It's super fun to scoot around town in something that small and people generally seem to like you when you drive one :)

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/23 1:38 p.m.

The Rotary Swapped Kei Truck is DONE! First Stop: Shred Session at Irw

Which one of you did this?

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/23 2:19 p.m.

I'd love one for the following use cases:

- Plowing in the winter

- General yard runabout (I'm always working out in the yard)

- Dump runs

- Home Depot trips

All of those can be done on local and secondary roads.  I'm not crazy about the lack of safety, but I'm still keeping an eye on them. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/23/23 3:06 p.m.

Pretty sure the logical answer is a REPU. Sweet high strung goodness, small, actually usable on US highways. Easier to insure and maintain and register and all the other things. 

No downside at all if you think about it. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/23/23 3:15 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Finding one that isn't rusted out could be hard, otherwise spot on. How about an early Ranger with the 2024 2.3 in it?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/23/23 4:42 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

An early ranger with the old Lima 2.3 and a turbo is also really good. So many excellent options. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/23 5:01 p.m.
SV reX said:

I took driving lessons in these. They get blown around a lot by crosswinds, stock engines have power ranging from "decently adequate" (1.3L) to "barely enough for city driving," (600cc), and the interior offers all the comforts and luxuries of a Suzuki Samurai combined with about as much safety as a motorized bicycle.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/23 7:58 p.m.

I want an ACTY minivan to haul our dogs to the Vet and promote my wife's pet store by wrapping it with our logo.

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/23 11:35 p.m.

I've got one coming right now.  Will be used as a mule on our property.

$3,100 to the US port.

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/23 8:02 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

I imported (and later sold) a Cappuccino.  Great little car but of course comes with some risk.  I have been considering a Kei truck for the exact same reasons you list.  

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/25/23 12:58 a.m.

Not sure if these things count as Kei trucks, but they are everywhere around southern Italy.   Pretty amazing to see 3 people crammed in the cab and it still climbing the streets of Sorrento.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/25/23 9:03 a.m.

In reply to lownslow :

Is that what it cost to ship it here?

Autovelox
Autovelox New Reader
5/25/23 9:14 a.m.

We had a bunch at a refinery where  I worked.  They were handy on the job site but the seat adjustment ran out long before it was far enough back for a 6' + man to comfortably drive it.  Imagine your clutch pedal being a good 6" closer to the seat than you find comfortable.

We liked them better than the ATV style vehicles used at the facility.  They were small and handy, and had air conditioning, which counted for a lot in SE Texas in the summer.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
5/25/23 9:42 a.m.
DrBoost said:

In reply to lownslow :

Is that what it cost to ship it here?

I'd guess the truck was @$1900 and shipping was the rest.  Add another $1200 or so for fees, duties, etc. to get the "in your driveway" number

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
5/25/23 10:10 a.m.

They seem quirky and cool, but do they have any actual advantages over a small pickup for the same price?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KB8V5P9GiiRGnZe3pNQjlNaHK7Kjax98AjgK17oneXy9YAwmKaeinviJmkg0L6Pz