slefain
slefain UltimaDork
7/22/22 5:02 p.m.

If you have a Kia model 2012 and newer or Hyundai model 2015 and newer with a real key ignition, time to put in a kill switch.

https://www.cbs46.com/2022/07/20/teen-kia-boyz-thieves-target-kia-hyundai-cars-atlanta/

Apparently keys for these vehicles don't have a chip. Combine that with a steering column made from marzipan that can be ripped open easily. Once the lock is yanked, you can use anything to start the car.

Looks like the fuel pump can be accessed from inside on a lot of models, so you can interrupt the fuel pump power wire with a switch or relay. Busted window is better than stolen car.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/22/22 5:42 p.m.

Wow way to live up to the economy car corner cut reputation. And I thought they were trying to get away from that. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/22 5:41 p.m.

About a month ago there were 3 cars broken into at my office, in the middle of the day.  The kids that committed the crime were in a KIA SUV of some sort, and when the police showed up they were not surprised at the KIA.  He told us that Columbus Ohio was having over 100 thefts of those cars stolen every day, so many that the police had stopped doing much if any investigations of them.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
7/23/22 7:46 p.m.

This happened to my daughter in Milwaukee. I guess it's very popular there too. Brand new Elantra, she had it at school there for 3 days in a university parking garage. Cops woke her at 2:30am. Three guys, broke rear drivers side window, got column cover off and started to pull ignition when the university cop pulled up. They didn't catch them. Insurance thankfully covered. Took two weeks for parts and fix. Now she drives my wife's Escape while my wife drives a brand new car. Shame it has come to that, she is so proud to buy her own first brand new car but can't drive it... Cops did give her a Club to put on it. They say they do deter them somewhat. I'd love to come up with something that would wrap the column and locks.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/22 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Iusedtobefast :

I knew it was worth saving The Club I bought in like 1995. Its going to be worth a fortune soon. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/23/22 11:08 p.m.

I once had a club on my car and didn't have access to the key. It was parked at a train station, so I stopped by the local police station and told them I'd be attempting to get the club off my car. I asked what they would recommend, and they said most thieves just cut the steering wheel. So it may be a slight deterrent at best.

The biggest pair of bolt cutters that HD stocked did help me remove the club, just target the welds.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/24/22 11:00 p.m.

Any idea why this is not a problem with older models (e.g. before 2011 or 2014) of these cars?

Did they make columns better previously?  

I am a bit suspicious anyone who would go after these car may not be the best at determining an exact year.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/25/22 8:07 a.m.

Who knew Kia's would be the new Integra's.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/25/22 8:53 a.m.
Iusedtobefast said:

I'd love to come up with something that would wrap the column and locks.

Locked, metal column wraps have been a popular GM thing for years now.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/25/22 10:27 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I should look into one of those for the S10 when it is parked outside.

So, what's the "safe" way to keep a car from being stolen quickly?  Is it simply chipped keys?  Remote unlock/start is proving easier to override with a bit of electronics.  I also remember FCA's application for programming keys has ended up in the wild, too, but I have no idea if that still requires a physical key, or if that is something that can be done with just a remote fob.

Would be funny if the old GM Passkey resistor system ends up being the best solution.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/25/22 10:52 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to John Welsh :

So, what's the "safe" way to keep a car from being stolen quickly?

3 pedals

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/25/22 11:45 a.m.

I suspect the prevalence of this is because they are the only common cars still made with a real key, and the thieves in question want anonomous cars for more nefarious escapes.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/25/22 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

My wife's car is key start, but the keys had to be programmed. My car is push button start AND 3 pedals. Interesting fun fact, my pushbutton start Rio does not have a column lock. The wife's key-start does. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
7/25/22 1:25 p.m.

Word on the street is the Kias and Hyundais of that particular vintage used part of the keyless start as the security measures, so if they didnt have keyless start (base model), they didnt have a transponder key.  Bit of an oversight on their end.  

Regardless, locks are for honest people, and there are ways around anything including just flatbedding the car to steal it, but all those take a lot more skill and resources than your typical 15 year old hood rat has.  Kias are easy to steal, so thats what gets stolen.  No different than the pre-VATS Chevys.  Its not like VATS is hard to get around, but its 100% harder than no theft deterrent system.  

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
7/26/22 3:54 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

...Columbus Ohio was having over 100 thefts of those cars stolen every day, so many that the police had stopped doing much if any investigations of them.

Sadly, this is true.  These fine, promising young gentlemen hit our office lot two months ago and stole a coworker's Sportage and another's Tucson, damaging each vehicle enough to declare it a total loss.  A couple of 14-year-olds ended their promising young lives a couple of nights ago trying to outrun a police helicopter:

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/police-3-kids-injured-in-northeast-columbus-crash-driving-stolen-hyundai-nationwide-childrens-hospital-grant-medical-center-juveniles-ohio

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/27/22 5:52 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Interesting fun fact, my pushbutton start Rio does not have a column lock. 

No solenoid that activates a column lock pin when you shut it off?  Weird ... I thought all modern'ish cars had at least that feature.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/28/22 8:39 a.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

It does make suspension work easier when its in the air, just grab a wheel and turn.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
7/28/22 9:07 a.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

Huh, going to check our push button start Sedona for the steering wheel lock pin. I just assumed it was standard on everything since...forever.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/28/22 9:09 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

It may have them in something other than their absolute bottom level car. I can't see the getting too serious about a nav/pushbutton manual Rio.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/28/22 10:13 a.m.

I bought my daughter a 2011 Kia Sportage about nine months ago so this is of interest.

She's starting at University of Nevada Reno next month and I was pleasantly surprised that learn that her insurance will be cut in half ($1,200 Vs $2,400) by moving out of California.

We're in Ventura and I can only imagine how expensive Los Angeles must be...I wonder if the high prices in California are due mostly to accidents or theft.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/29/22 8:00 a.m.

No steering lock.   Ok, some KIA/Hyundai  models have no steering lock.  That maybe saved the company $50 (I am being generous) per car.  And bought the company many years of notoriety.

*edit*

I have just been made aware that late model Acuras do not have steering locks...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/29/22 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

I think a lot of the push button start vehicles do not have physical steering locks. With the Hy/Kia's these aren't the cars getting stolen. The cars with steering locks that use keys are the ones getting stolen.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
7/29/22 1:59 p.m.

I'm now noticing more shiny happy people on 285 rocketing by in low end Kias/Hyundais. At this point I just assume it is stolen.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/29/22 2:14 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

great, Now I have to drive slower. They're going to assume I stole it and couldn't possibly actually buy the damn thing

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oWQv2EKk5COFLuUfh8vKTN63X2F9C4oHC8dPeUb2znAB0khiWH9gv0eKTcHurJ0h