Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
8/12/12 4:42 p.m.

Exactly.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/12/12 5:20 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Well thanks for that extra bit of crappy news!

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
8/12/12 7:05 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: In reply to wbjones: Well thanks for that extra bit of crappy news!

one should always look for ways to make other peoples days just a little bit better

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/12 7:51 p.m.

I read somewhere that if bees were to become extinct, humans would follow in about ten years.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
8/12/12 8:05 p.m.
Woody wrote: I read somewhere that if bees were to become extinct, humans would follow in about ten years.

Thats an exaggeration. Honey bees are not native to the Americas, there are native pollinating bees and other insects. So it would probably be more like 25 years.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/12 8:06 p.m.

Back on subject:

I just came back in the house after emptying two cans of wasp killer on the nest. They are not happy!

I'll check it tomorrow for the inevitable removal process.

Wish me luck.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
8/12/12 9:13 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Back on subject: I just came back in the house after emptying two cans of wasp killer on the nest. They are not happy! I'll check it tomorrow for the inevitable removal process. Wish me luck.

Regarding that "removal" thing; yours or theirs?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/12/12 9:15 p.m.
Woody wrote: I read somewhere that if bees were to become extinct, humans would follow in about ten years.

That's why I laugh at all these doomsday/survivalist types.......I'll be honest, I love the modern world............I wouldn't want to live without it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
8/12/12 10:15 p.m.

Great, now I have to figure out how to keep a hive of bees alive in the schoolbus that I buried to make a fallout shelter.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/12 8:16 a.m.

This thread is educational as well as highly entertaining. I'm voting it up.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/13/12 8:47 a.m.

Ive been reading some articles lately that claim the honeybee populations are recovering. I know Ive seen a lot of real honeybees, as well as yellowjackets and other flying stinger-wielding pain mongers in my flowering shrubs and trees this season, and in my nephews melon garden this fall. I think things will bee ok.

lol, see what I did there?

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/13/12 9:16 a.m.

Soooooo....

Where's the Youtube link?

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
8/13/12 10:41 a.m.

In defense of the wasps and bees, don't make them angry and or defensive and they won't sting you.

Thsi doesn't apply to mosquitos, black flies and some horse flys.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/13/12 11:45 a.m.

Last nest I had I took out with a potato gun from about 20 yards. Took a few shots but final impact was amazing.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
8/13/12 11:49 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
ScottRA21 wrote: It's bees. They aren't exactly on the brink of extinction,
edit: darn it Joey beat me to it .... actually they're in a lot more trouble than you might think http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/animals/bees.asp?gclid=CMfHo-j-4rECFY2b7QodskcAHA Honey bees are disappearing across the country, putting $15 billion worth of fruits, nuts and vegetables at risk The list of crops that simply won’t grow without honey bees is a long one: Apples, cucumbers, broccoli, onions, pumpkins, carrots, avocados, almonds … and it goes on. Without bees to pollinate many of our favorite fruits and vegetables, the United States could lose $15 billion worth of crops -- not to mention what it would do to your diet.Beekeepers first sounded the alarm about disappearing bees in 2006. Seemingly healthy bees were simply abandoning their hives en masse, never to return. Researchers call the mass disappearance Colony Collapse Disorder, and they estimate that nearly one-third of all honey bee colonies in the country have vanished. Why are the bees leaving? Scientists studying the disorder believe a combination of factors could be making bees sick, including pesticide exposure, invasive parasitic mites, an inadequate food supply and a new virus that targets bees' immune systems. More research is essential to determine the exact cause of the bees' distress. Although the U.S. Department of Agriculture has allotted $20 million over the next five years for research, that amount pales in comparison with the potential loss of $15 billion worth of crops that bees pollinate every year. And the USDA has so far failed to aggressively seek out a solution. If we don’t act now to save the honey bee, it might be too late. And no honey bees will mean no more of your favorite fruits and vegetables.

so, bee AIDS?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/12 8:22 p.m.

So after a third can of killer and no sight or sound of the critters I tossed a Frisbee at it to make sure it was safe. (Frisbee is the only thing I'm pretty accurate with after years of ultimate). Nothing. I managed to get most of it in the trash can before I noticed a distinctive buzzing sound. Called it a night. Will check again tomorrow to get the rest of the nest off the structure and into the garbage can. I accidentally knocked the trash can over and saw nearly 50 or so dead wasps in there!

I am such a wimp!

cwh
cwh PowerDork
8/14/12 9:01 a.m.

Sometimes wimp is smart. Stupid always hurts.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/14/12 9:11 a.m.
cwh wrote: Sometimes wimp is smart. Stupid always hurts.

True. But stupid gets a lot more hits on YouTube.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/14/12 9:12 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
cwh wrote: Sometimes wimp is smart. Stupid always hurts.
True. But stupid gets a lot more hits on YouTube.

Speaking of... Where's the link?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
8/14/12 9:13 a.m.

Anti-Stance and myself had a funny encounter with a hornet's nest about a year ago.

My Jetta sat out front of my old job in the parking lot for about a half a year. Within that time frame, 3 hornet's nests formed. We had to get it from my work to the race shop to start ripping it apart and and junking parts. Problem was we had to get it on the tow dolly. There were about 50 hornets that chose they wanted to stay there.

About 5 cans of hornet killer and a case of beer later, we got the hornets nest out and on the dolly. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard!

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/14/12 9:42 a.m.
iceracer wrote: In defense of the wasps and bees, don't make them angry and or defensive and they won't sting you.

In defense of the wasp haters, of which I am one, what makes them angry and defensive isn't necessarily rational or obvious.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
8/14/12 10:21 a.m.

True

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/14/12 10:44 a.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

Yep, that was a long battle with no stings. Spraying them got them out of the air then we had to stomp on them. It was funny.

Those bald faced hornets look terrifying though.

superblackser
superblackser New Reader
8/30/12 7:14 p.m.

I have a nice nest in the door of the minivan. It's impressive and going down tonight ;D https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2359592606339&l=87bbf8a113

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/30/12 7:18 p.m.

Flashing back to a childhood memory of a neighbor burning bagworms off their tree... Why is insect genocide so interesting?

Margie

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DrFf0vcusBnt7S8IMwiT4EunSLxgjX9S1tlTGUKlkQb4MGWeN4cF5Uwgerbs2qps