Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/23/17 1:41 p.m.

Starting the process of gutting our kitchen this weekend. Doesn't seem to be a definitive answer if we should tile under, or around the cabinets. Anyone have some opinions?

Aside from checking that the height of the range/dishwasher won't influence the decision in either way, is there anything else to consider?

I am leaning towards tiling under the cabinets at this point.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/23/17 1:46 p.m.

Following.

I have nothing to add but I am interested to see responses. I think our old house had the hardwood floors around the cabinet bases. The dishwasher was a tight fit.

Our current house the kitchen is so large we want to add another closet for additional pantry space, probably just going to frame up some walls right on top of the existing hardwood floor. Is that bad?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/23/17 1:53 p.m.

I've done it both ways.

Personally I'm a fan of cabinets over tile so if you ever decide in the future to redo the kitchen, or it floods while you're away, you're not limited to that footprint.

I'm told it's pretty common in Europe to take your cabinets with you when you move. The extension there is that it's pretty common to put them on top of tile.

STM317
STM317 Dork
6/23/17 1:59 p.m.

My BIL keeps a very nice roof over his head by installing custom Amish made cabinets in high-end homes. In these custom homes, they always run the flooring under the cabinets.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
6/23/17 2:12 p.m.

I feel like going around instead of under is the crappy cheap way to do it. I've had to deal with this at my house and it sucks and ends up costing so much more for someone to fix down the line. Really, if the cabinets are out, the cost to do it right is not much more. Future renovators will thank you.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/17 2:22 p.m.

We are also planning a kitchen renovation soon, and we plan to tile under cabinets. Even with an island, it looks easier to drill through a few tiles for plumbing/wiring/bolts (or omit them if small enough tile) than to cut perfect sections out to fit around the cabinets.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/23/17 2:24 p.m.

I say tile under as well. If Installing wood flooring, I'd do it the other way to allow it to move a bit without being pinned down by cabinets.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/23/17 2:26 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I feel like going around instead of under is the crappy cheap way to do it. I've had to deal with this at my house and it sucks and ends up costing so much more for someone to fix down the line. Really, if the cabinets are out, the cost to do it right is not much more. Future renovators will thank you.

Why would anyone ever want to redo my handywork????

I am just looking for whatever will look the best and be the easiest. At this point the extra material cost is just a drop in the bucket. Both of the bathrooms I have done in the house I tiled under the cabinets so I suppose it makes sense to do that in the kitchen as well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/17 2:44 p.m.

Under will be faster and easier and more future-proof.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
6/23/17 2:50 p.m.

If you already have the room gutted and materials aren't too expensive, just tile the whole thing. Not only will it make things easy if anyone ever wants to rearrange things in the future, it also makes the room seem like less of a construction site which wives in particular seem to appreciate.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/23/17 3:00 p.m.
SEADave wrote: If you already have the room gutted and materials aren't too expensive, just tile the whole thing. Not only will it make things easy if anyone ever wants to rearrange things in the future, it also makes the room seem like less of a construction site which wives in particular seem to appreciate.

Gutting starts this weekend. Inlaws come in next weekend to help with the project. The way the kitchen is setup, it would be nearly impossible to change the layout to anything other than what it is.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/23/17 3:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Under will be faster and easier and more future-proof.

Future plans for the house are....to sell it as soon as possible.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/17 3:18 p.m.

Then it will just be faster and easier for you, and a nice surprise for the future owner.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
6/23/17 4:03 p.m.

We just finished our kitchen remodel and went wall to wall with the flooring. 1 - it was easier than trying to trim around the cabinets and I had to buy the same amount of tiles regardless, so less waste. 2 - all of the appliances slide out easily since there isn't a lip to go over. 3 - Protects the subfloor from any leaks.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/17 4:10 p.m.

How long do you plan to live there? I hate to say "stiff the next guy" but it depends.

If you're staying for a long time, chances are you'll keep the tile through the next kitchen remodel. When I redid my kitchen in my old house, the linoleum was actually kinda nice, but the cabinets I really wanted were from Ikea and didn't have toe kicks, they had little legs. When I tore out the old cabinets, the linoleum only went as far as the cabinets (plus I did some re-arranging of the kitchen; moved the stove and fridge) so it left me with a conundrum. I ended up tearing out the old linoleum and putting in VCT over the entire floor so I could keep my leggy cabinets.

I only do just up to the cabinets if I'm keeping the original cabinets. If the cabs come out, I'm doing the whole floor.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/23/17 4:21 p.m.
The0retical wrote: Personally I'm a fan of cabinets over tile so if you ever decide in the future to redo the kitchen, or it floods while you're away, you're not limited to that footprint.

I'll offer a counter-argument to this. How often do people change the cabinet footprint of a kitchen vs changing just the flooring? If the flooring goes under the cabinets, it's a whole lot harder to change it when it wears out or goes out of style. And if the cabinets ARE coming out, most likely all the flooring is coming up, too.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/23/17 4:25 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: How long do you plan to live there? I hate to say "stiff the next guy" but it depends. If you're staying for a long time, chances are you'll keep the tile through the next kitchen remodel. When I redid my kitchen in my old house, the linoleum was actually kinda nice, but the cabinets I really wanted were from Ikea and didn't have toe kicks, they had little legs. When I tore out the old cabinets, the linoleum only went as far as the cabinets (plus I did some re-arranging of the kitchen; moved the stove and fridge) so it left me with a conundrum. I ended up tearing out the old linoleum and putting in VCT over the entire floor so I could keep my leggy cabinets. I only do just up to the cabinets if I'm keeping the original cabinets. If the cabs come out, I'm doing the whole floor.

This is our last major project before we list the house. I am tired of not having a garage.

Everything is coming out and being replaced. Floors, cabinets, appliances, etc..

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/23/17 4:31 p.m.

It's perhaps something like an extra 30 sf of tile so going under costs maybe $50 - $100 more unless you're doing marble or stone

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/17 4:35 p.m.

If DIY'ing this, WAAAY more work going around. Always better to do the whole room, then cabinets on top, in my opinion. Especially if doing on a 45Degree. Yep, you'll spend a bit more in materials, but you will do a better, quicker, prettier job. If contractors are doing it, the same applies.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/23/17 4:56 p.m.

Contractor here.

Put tile under. If you don't, the first time the sink backs up you will have standing water under the cabinets which can lead to rot or mold. Plus, all of the standard dimensions will work (dishwasher, garbage disposals, ice maker, custom cabinetry, toe space HVAC vents). If you add 1" thick of tile in front of the cabinets, it effs up a lot of stuff.

If you change the floor later, you don't have to replace the floor under the cabinets. (Although removing and reinstalling base cabinets is easy)

Also, a floor installed around the cabinets almost always winds up needing a 1/4 round molding at the toe kicks of the cabinets, which looks like a mistake.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/17 10:40 p.m.

I know you're not keeping the house, but... if you buy particleboard cabinets, get the sink base cabinet made out of real plywood.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/24/17 2:05 p.m.
SVreX wrote: ...all of the standard dimensions will work (dishwasher, garbage disposals, ice maker, custom cabinetry, toe space HVAC vents). If you add 1" thick of tile in front of the cabinets, it effs up a lot of stuff.

THIS! Mother berking this! The shiny happy people previous owners of my house did a beautiful job of tiling the kitchen. Right up to the cabinets. The stove sits higher than the counter. I had to undo and lift the counter, to install a new dishwasher, yada yada.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/26/17 9:08 a.m.

Thanks everyone for the input. We will tile under.

Over the weekend I just about finished the basement bathroom remodel (still just need to install the shower controls).

Spent way too much time at Lowes/Home Depot buying supplies. Started gutting the kitchen as well. Electrician comes on Wed to add a dedicated circuit for the new microwave, and move an outlet and a switch.

I can't wait to finish all this and sell. Hopefully the next house will need less work..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rd2RGM9JS1opQFl0C2B4itBHTnoRH3T91JpaV84jyV0C8Fgp6Ou7Wz93DK37lzM8