1 2
Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/16/20 11:41 a.m.
Nick (picaso) Comstock said:

I like to keep mine dull. It hurts more when I stab someone that way

I'm going to testify to that. I should know, since I'm very experienced with self inflicted lacerations.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 12:16 p.m.

I friggin LOVE my Lansky.   I got the big kit which does nearly everything.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/16/20 2:25 p.m.

I love my Spyderco sharpener.  First use is tough, but once you get the angle on there, it's a thing of beauty.  Also does scissors, fish hooks etc.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 2:44 p.m.

You can buy some stones/hardware and print out a stand to make your own sharpener solution if you have access to a 3D Printer:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4135236

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/16/20 2:48 p.m.

I got one of these a year or two ago:

https://smile.amazon.com/Warthog-V-Sharp-Classic-Gunmetal-Size/dp/B01MT6HJU7/

and some 1000 grit stones. 

I'll start out on a new sharpening with the HandySharp on the V's to get a rough shape, then go with a Le Beau Hunter Honer, then to the V-Sharp 1000 grit, then light with the Handy Sharp.  Comes out pretty sharp.  Touch up is typically the V-Sharp then Handy Sharp.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 2:59 p.m.

If you are interested in learning how to really sharpen a blade, this series is really interesting.

Way too much work for me, but impressive.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/16/20 3:00 p.m.

I just bought one of these..   

Makes the lanksy puck look like a cinderblock.

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Abrasives-Gobain-85316-Hatchet/dp/B000FK3YP8

It's just a nicer more effective solution.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 3:02 p.m.

Before this thread was hit with a canoe, I was just starting with the Japanese waterstones. I'm still loving them. There's a lot of actual skill involved in using them well but it puts an edge on a knife like nothing else I've tried. It also makes the sharpening into almost a ceremony, it's like meditation. I use a ceramic hone for touchups.

Haven't had the Lansky out of the box in a couple of years at least.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/16/20 3:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Before this thread was hit with a canoe, I was just starting with the Japanese waterstones. I'm still loving them. There's a lot of actual skill involved in using them well but it puts an edge on a knife like nothing else I've tried. It also makes the sharpening into almost a ceremony, it's like meditation. I use a ceramic hone for touchups.

Haven't had the Lansky out of the box in a couple of years at least.

The Waterstones are my next try...  Did you just get an some cheapo ones off amazon or something fancy?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 4:47 p.m.

I've been using this King 1000/6000 as my main tool, and it's been working well. I know you can spend crazy money on these but I haven't been too tempted yet. I follow up with a strop and the ceramic hone. I also have a coarse and a fine DMT diamond plate for really damaged knives, and I use the coarse plate to flatten the King.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/16/20 5:52 p.m.

Can anyone recommend a good way to start sharpening your own knives? I'm not going to be spending much money on this, but I have a lot of pocket knives and similar and no sharpener. 

So what are the user friendly, under $20 and under $50 options to do this?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Lansky kit. I don't know the price, but I've never seen knives sharpened at home better by anything else. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/30/20 1:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I've been using this King 1000/6000 as my main tool, and it's been working well. I know you can spend crazy money on these but I haven't been too tempted yet. I follow up with a strop and the ceramic hone. I also have a coarse and a fine DMT diamond plate for really damaged knives, and I use the coarse plate to flatten the King.

I pulled the trigger on these. I've got some Japanese steel that seems to dull fairly quickly and a beat up Henckels my Mom snagged from the 2nd hand store and gave to me.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/6/22 3:23 p.m.

Glad to see the love for Lansky in this thread. I've been diving down this rabbit hole today and am absolutely impressed by the ~$200 Apex Pro2 Edge kit. I don't need to do much more than our kitchen knives, but it looks "fun" to do it with this kit, and it's US Made... 

https://www.edgeproinc.com/apex-model-edge-pro-system/apex-2-kit-apex-model-edge-pro-sharpening-system/

I have a $50 Visa card burning a hole in my pocket, which basically covers the Lansky - I'll probably go that way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j0xzdPl0Y7de9vK9HClbuEy4lI8Rnqs1bs9v7uyokyakAUyx2WwH2H2KiRA6OCFm