1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/9/14 8:19 a.m.

http://m.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-seecalvin-and-hobbes

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/14 8:41 a.m.

Are you okay? Are you trying to tell us something?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/9/14 8:45 a.m.

Just a fan of Calvin and hobbes, thought it was a good piece of writing. Bike is running as of last night, life is good.

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
7/9/14 9:30 a.m.

Aww... That's excellent. Thanks for sharing it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/14 9:39 a.m.

First Jessie from Toy Story 2 and now this. Man these things get me!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
7/9/14 9:48 a.m.

Weird, I just started reading Calvin and Hobbes to my little ones before bed every night last week. I hadn't read a Calvin and hobbes story since 1995 and the documentary on Netflix bought my attention back. The kids are 5 and 3. I finally opened that big complete book that has been sitting unopened since 2005 when I bought it new. Their eyes got really BIG when they saw how thick and heavy it was. So far it's been a blast and I am enjoying it. They are too.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/9/14 9:52 a.m.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/9/14 9:58 a.m.

That's a great story.

I figgered he had a thing for Susie all along.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/9/14 10:01 a.m.

Good stuff, thanks.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
7/9/14 10:08 a.m.

It's dusty in here

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/9/14 10:35 a.m.

I guess I'll be the only one who doesn't like it.

I don't want to think of Calvin ever growing up, and can never imagine that he would ever put Hobbes aside in his life.

The idea of Calvin on his deathbead finnaly brining out Hobbes is far more sad than how I think Bill Watterson would want us remembering the pair. Instead of death, the actual cartoon ended with a suggestion to get out and enjoy life as a big adventure.

Granted, the author has Calvin passing Hobbes onto his granddaughter, which is very sweet. But that's not the Clavin I associated with, nor is it the Calvin I would want to remember.

The philisophical discussions while they sled to imminent crashes, the fights they had when Calvin got home, the daydreaming in class (which was some awesome artwork), etc- the thought that all of us are kids inside. That's what I will remember. What Watterson wrote and drew.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/14 11:10 a.m.

There was a comic series that somebody drew a little ways back about Calvin (and Suzie's, of course) daughter & Hobbes that I thought was really cute and kept the spirit of the original quite well- can't get to the original page from work, but they're (or at least some, not sure if that's all they drew) here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2933120/posts

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
7/9/14 11:42 a.m.

Damn allergies.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/9/14 11:42 a.m.

dangit … the fan blowing in my face is doing weird things to my eyes

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
7/9/14 12:01 p.m.

This made me think...I think that I still have my stuffed tiger from when I was a kid packed away somewhere...I need to do some digging with the baby on the way.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
7/9/14 12:24 p.m.

All my legos are safely stored in a plastic lidded bin...waiting for my daughter to gain finger coordination...

I like that sentiment.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/14 12:33 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: This made me think...I think that I still have my stuffed tiger from when I was a kid packed away somewhere...I need to do some digging with the baby on the way.

I had a lot of knives when I was a kid.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
7/9/14 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

So did I. I actually use to collect them. Every year for Christmas my grandfather would send me a new knife for the collection and money. I also had a couple guns before I was 10. Chipmunk when I was 6 and a couple years later a 10/22.

Back to the Calvin and Hobbes stuff I basically use to be that kid though it was mostly my dog (wolf hybrid) that would accompany me on my adventures. I even dug up my yard looking for dinosaur bones lol.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
7/9/14 3:18 p.m.

I still remember making that promise to myself to never grow up and shut the door to imagination.

While many in my life would debate the point, I feel that I failed to keep the promise in its entirety.

I often wonder if the age of forgetting how to be a kid is not getting earlier and earlier with each generation. That would suck.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
7/9/14 3:42 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I still remember making that promise to myself to never grow up and shut the door to imagination. While many in my life would debate the point, I feel that I failed to keep the promise in its entirety. I often wonder if the age of forgetting how to be a kid is not getting earlier and earlier with each generation. That would suck.

I think about this myself and sometimes I really wonder how difficult it would be to rediscover that in ones self.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/9/14 3:51 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
NOHOME wrote: I still remember making that promise to myself to never grow up and shut the door to imagination. While many in my life would debate the point, I feel that I failed to keep the promise in its entirety. I often wonder if the age of forgetting how to be a kid is not getting earlier and earlier with each generation. That would suck.
I think about this myself and sometimes I really wonder how difficult it would be to rediscover that in ones self.

Those who have it--the ones who truly never grew up one iota--probably never became parents, or at least good parents.

Then there are those like my Uncle, who by the standards of 95% of people never grew up. Still can be a boring adult, but that is only to fund the fun parts of his life.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/9/14 4:12 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: I guess I'll be the only one who doesn't like it. I don't want to think of Calvin ever growing up, and can never imagine that he would ever put Hobbes aside in his life. The idea of Calvin on his deathbead finnaly brining out Hobbes is far more sad than how I think Bill Watterson would want us remembering the pair. Instead of death, the actual cartoon ended with a suggestion to get out and enjoy life as a big adventure. Granted, the author has Calvin passing Hobbes onto his granddaughter, which is very sweet. But that's not the Clavin I associated with, nor is it the Calvin I would want to remember. The philisophical discussions while they sled to imminent crashes, the fights they had when Calvin got home, the daydreaming in class (which was some awesome artwork), etc- the thought that all of us are kids inside. That's what I will remember. What Watterson wrote and drew.

While I do agree with you on a "I don't want to think of Calvin as a grown up" level, Bill Waterson ended the strip with the invitation of taking Calvin and Hobbes wherever you wanted to go next. I look at all of the fan made tributes and stories as other people doing just that. Some of them may have grown up, accidentally of course, but still identify with the adventuresome spirit of the boy who fought it every step of the way.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
7/9/14 5:01 p.m.
wbjones wrote: dangit … the fan blowing in my face is doing weird things to my eyes Glad to see I'm not the only one. Fan. allergies, dust or ---.
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/14 5:14 p.m.
dculberson wrote: It's dusty in here

x2, think i got something in my eyes

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/9/14 5:15 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: I guess I'll be the only one who doesn't like it. I don't want to think of Calvin ever growing up, and can never imagine that he would ever put Hobbes aside in his life. The idea of Calvin on his deathbead finnaly brining out Hobbes is far more sad than how I think Bill Watterson would want us remembering the pair. Instead of death, the actual cartoon ended with a suggestion to get out and enjoy life as a big adventure. Granted, the author has Calvin passing Hobbes onto his granddaughter, which is very sweet. But that's not the Clavin I associated with, nor is it the Calvin I would want to remember. The philisophical discussions while they sled to imminent crashes, the fights they had when Calvin got home, the daydreaming in class (which was some awesome artwork), etc- the thought that all of us are kids inside. That's what I will remember. What Watterson wrote and drew.

I think i'm with you on this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FiDlDLBOm9WA9RebCByumahTuZGVoZwnWe0Td2DBXK3FUfP7gPNFRM6vixcvm3HB