1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/14 5:18 p.m.

Not a teary eye. That's how I want to go out.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/9/14 6:16 p.m.

As long as Calvin is pissing on Chevy bowties or Jeff Gordon 24s, he'll never grow up.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
7/9/14 6:57 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I guess I'll be the only one who doesn't like it.
I think i'm with you on this.

Me too.

There's a 94 year old man who attends my church (or rather, I attend his). He says "I don't feel 94. I feel 23. Nevertheless, I look in the mirror and here I am...."

I want to stay young at heart, and never give up on the adventure and play that give us stories.

('cept most of those hurt more, now that I'm not ~actually~ 23 anymore....).

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
7/9/14 7:55 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote: There was a comic series that somebody drew a little ways back about Calvin (and Suzie's, of course) daughter & Hobbes that I thought was really cute and kept the spirit of the original quite well- can't get to the original page from work, but they're (or at least some, not sure if that's all they drew) here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2933120/posts

Those are very very good. They really captured the spirit.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
7/9/14 8:01 p.m.

I'm not a fan of this either. Way too saccharine and over-the-top mushy to be associated with Calvin and Hobbes in any way. Watterson was incredible at provoking emotion and thoughtfulness without resorting to "tearjerker" scenes like this.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/9/14 8:08 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: As long as Calvin is pissing on Chevy bowties or Jeff Gordon 24s, he'll never grow up.

I hate those things. If Watterson had taken all the people to court who ripped off his work for tacky stickers, he would be a billionaire.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
7/9/14 10:06 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I guess I'll be the only one who doesn't like it. I don't want to think of Calvin ever growing up, and can never imagine that he would ever put Hobbes aside in his life. The idea of Calvin on his deathbead finnaly brining out Hobbes is far more sad than how I think Bill Watterson would want us remembering the pair. Instead of death, the actual cartoon ended with a suggestion to get out and enjoy life as a big adventure. Granted, the author has Calvin passing Hobbes onto his granddaughter, which is very sweet. But that's not the Clavin I associated with, nor is it the Calvin I would want to remember. The philisophical discussions while they sled to imminent crashes, the fights they had when Calvin got home, the daydreaming in class (which was some awesome artwork), etc- the thought that all of us are kids inside. That's what I will remember. What Watterson wrote and drew.

I agree with this

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
7/9/14 11:23 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: I'm not a fan of this either. Way too saccharine and over-the-top mushy to be associated with Calvin and Hobbes in any way. Watterson was incredible at provoking emotion and thoughtfulness without resorting to "tearjerker" scenes like this.

I couldn't agree with you more. This has all the subtlety of a hallmark commercial and the tact of a lifetime network movie. Over the top crappy fan fiction that has for some reason gone viral.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
7/9/14 11:33 p.m.

I'm with Alfadriver on this. While I have a deep appreciation for Calvin & Hobbes I sort of feel that it should be left alone. The "documentary" on Netflix didn't do much for me. I lost interest midway through and the guy didn't get to even interview Mr. Watterson or talk to anyone that was an authority, he just rehashed a handful of points over and over.

I feel like the fan works are resorting to tropes rather than the actual themes Mr. Watterson imbued into the strip. I appreciate the effort (Calvin&Hobbes&Bacon made me smile) but it feels hollow compared to the original.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
7/10/14 1:59 a.m.

Thumbs down from me, too. Sure, pass it along but it's important to me to keep the child in an adult. Actually, I think it's much more a strip for adults than kids and it rejuvenates the kid in all of it's readers. I'm 58 and still read C. & H. quite a bit. Today I read the Sept. 20, 1988 strip.

As an aside, comics remind me of my Dad, probably the finest man I've had the privilege to know (and wish to emulate him when I grow up). As a child and as an adult I would always discuss the comics every week with him. His favorite was Peanuts and he even named our cat after the strip. Even in his latter years Dad had a wonderful sense of humour and sense of play. His local paper didn't carry the strip but he would have LOVED Calvin and Hobbes. Snif, sorry if this a bit mushy.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/10/14 6:29 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: As long as Calvin is pissing on Chevy bowties or Jeff Gordon 24s, he'll never grow up.
I hate those things. If Watterson had taken all the people to court who ripped off his work for tacky stickers, he would be a billionaire.

this

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/10/14 9:51 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
stuart in mn wrote:
this

But, he didn't and that makes him a better man in my book.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
7/10/14 11:34 p.m.

My boy is just over a year. One of his favorite toys is a fisher price tool set that I had as a wee one.

And this is great bit of writing.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/10/14 11:46 p.m.

I guess I'll be the only one who only knows Calvin from those stickers

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/11/14 6:54 a.m.

the complete Calvin and Hobbes is available on Amazon ….

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/11/14 7:37 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
mndsm wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I guess I'll be the only one who doesn't like it. I don't want to think of Calvin ever growing up, and can never imagine that he would ever put Hobbes aside in his life. The idea of Calvin on his deathbead finnaly brining out Hobbes is far more sad than how I think Bill Watterson would want us remembering the pair. Instead of death, the actual cartoon ended with a suggestion to get out and enjoy life as a big adventure. Granted, the author has Calvin passing Hobbes onto his granddaughter, which is very sweet. But that's not the Clavin I associated with, nor is it the Calvin I would want to remember. The philisophical discussions while they sled to imminent crashes, the fights they had when Calvin got home, the daydreaming in class (which was some awesome artwork), etc- the thought that all of us are kids inside. That's what I will remember. What Watterson wrote and drew.
I agree with this

Signing on as a 4th. That sophomoric drivel belongs in my spam folder with the sentimental "footprints" sermon-emails that mothers and aunts relentlessly send to everyone they know.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fRI5OQlufDYXnzV2o4mdwZhYwRZjxNlMyXHKYiPtj1m2icjfkYwqDacOFeynJeVm